Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Gorgeous.

I have some on my cheeseboard, this week-end, as well.
I must have missed your post. I saw it first stateside maybe in 99 and buy it sparingly. Its color could be best described as the color of semi-cooked egg yolk where it has a rich amber color. One thing that's impossible to get here unless you get it direct from certain co-ops is ultra filtered cheeses that go under no heat treatment. High filtration isn't widespread in Europe either. It's labor intensive and the buy in costs are very, very high for equipment.

Present yourself with two mature bries and they will have different textures at all temperature changes bar extremes. Tastes the same otherwise. It is neither a raw nor a pasteurized cheese. I've had it just once and the texture was everything to me.

If I had a cheese cellar, I'd love to buy a multi-year aged cheddar, American or English. Either one is fine. Very, very dry, salty, crystals galore. Most expensive cheddar I recall going on sale fetched about $180/lb or €400/kilo.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I must have missed your post. I saw it first stateside maybe in 99 and buy it sparingly. Its color could be best described as the color of semi-cooked egg yolk where it has a rich amber color. One thing that's impossible to get here unless you get it direct from certain co-ops is ultra filtered cheeses that go under no heat treatment. High filtration isn't widespread in Europe either. It's labor intensive and the buy in costs are very, very high for equipment.

Present yourself with two mature bries and they will have different textures at all temperature changes bar extremes. Tastes the same otherwise. It is neither a raw nor a pasteurized cheese. I've had it just once and the texture was everything to me.

If I had a cheese cellar, I'd love to buy a multi-year aged cheddar, American or English. Either one is fine. Very, very dry, salty, crystals galore. Most expensive cheddar I recall going on sale fetched about $180/lb or €400/kilo.

Actually, usually, most week-ends, I will buy Comte, or an aged Gouda, or perhaps something such as Etivaz, or Schnebelhorn, or Emmenthal.

But, this weekend (and I still have aged Gouda from last week), I decided to try Mimolette, which is a sort of French cheddar, with a deep, amber burnt orange colour. Lovely.

Reactions: JamesMike

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Actually, usually, most week-ends, I will buy Comte, or an aged Gouda, or perhaps something such as Etivaz, or Schnebelhorn, or Emmenthal.

But, this weekend (and I still have aged Gouda from last week), I decided to try Mimolette, which is a sort of French cheddar, with a deep, amber burnt orange colour. Lovely.
First time then? It's an interesting cheese. Though not one I'd buy with regularity say over aged gouda. I was craving a semi-hard sheep's milk cheese with crackers a week ago at three in the morning. Such is life.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
First time then? It's an interesting cheese. Though not one I'd buy with regularity say over aged gouda. I was craving a semi-hard sheep's milk cheese with crackers a week ago at three in the morning. Such is life.

Aged Gouda, (and also, aged goat's Gouda) are two of my constant favourites, as is Comte.

Three weeks out of every four, I would have at least two of those cheeses to hand.

Agree re Mimolette; a lovely cheese, (and one that was recommended to me yesterday, as the cheesemonger's had just opened a wheel, and said it was excellent, which it was), but not one I would expect to be a part of my weekly cheese shopping.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Breakfast took the form of a lovely cheeseboard, served with French rye bread, kefir, freshly squeezed orange juice, and freshly prepared filter coffee.

The cheeses on this board were: Roquefort, Gorgonzola Cremosa, St Nectaire, Delice de Borgogne, Ballylisk, Camembert Rustique, Taleggio, and Morbier.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Breakfast or well brunch was far less diverse and limited to Swiss national cheese but included a Tomme Vaudoise and Gruyere.

Swiss cheese make terrific breakfast cheeses, but, today, I wanted soft and semi-soft cheeses.

However, while I am more than familiar with Gruyere, what is Tomme Vaudoise like?

I have had a number of the "Tomme" style cheeses (a tasty mountain style from France, for the most part, if memory serves, some are superb), but I have never had Tomme Vaudoise.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well the Tomme Vaudoise look like a small Camembert with a white rind but milder. Flavoured Tommes are quite popular like ail d’ours ( a kind of wild garlic) chili, cumin or truffle. I had plain and often it is grilled until the center is melted and the outside is a bit browned. Grind some pepper and some good bread and a tomato and you have a great lunch. I am familiar with the Tomme cheese from the French Savoy region and they are quite different.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well the Tomme Vaudoise look like a small Camembert with a white rind but milder. Flavoured Tommes are quite popular like ail d’ours ( a kind of wild garlic) chili, cumin or truffle. I had plain and often it is grilled until the center is melted and the outside is a bit browned. Grind some pepper and some good bread and a tomato and you have a great lunch. I am familiar with the Tomme cheese from the French Savoy region and they are quite different.

Sounds delicious; the only cheese I have ever baked was the classic Vacherin Mont d'Or at during the Christmas holidays one year the I had friends over (making a hole to add a little white wine first), which was divine.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
The best cheese snack I ever made was grabbing two slices of toasted whole grain bread from the bakery, a few slices of tomato, basil, pinches of salt, and putting a small personal sized brie wheel in the middle and eating it was a sandwich. Alcohol may or may not have been involved that fateful day. Mostly because it was donkeys years ago and screw that if I could remember anything else.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Lunch took the form of a cheeseboard with French rye bread.

On the cheeseboard were: Morbier, Mimolette, Pecorino, Camembert Rustique, Roquefort, Delice de Borgogne, St Nectaire, Gorgonzola Cremosa and Ballylisk, served with black Muscat grapes, golden Mirabelle plums and apricot preserve.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have been on a Blue Cheese kick lately. Picked up one from my local Sprouts market and holy smokes! While the smell is not overwhelming, the taste is phenomenal! Absolute delight to eat. I have now had it on both my salad and cheese plate and I am hooked.

Simply, Artisan Reserve Blue Cheese Center Cut.

If you are a Blue Cheese fan, I highly recommend this one. Not strong, not overpowering, but balanced and super tasty!

***Eek, updated...

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have been on a Blue Cheese kick lately. Picked up one from my local Sprouts market and holy smokes! While the smell is not overwhelming, the taste is phenomenal! Absolute delight to eat. I have not had it on both my salad and cheese plate and I am hooked.

Simply, Artisan Reserve Blue Cheese Center Cut.

If you are a Blue Cheese fan, I highly recommend this one. Not strong, not overpowering, but balanced and super tasty!

I adore blue cheese, but have never come across a blue from the US.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
plenty around we have Oregon blue and a smoky blue. a couple others i cant think of the name of. lots of cheap stuff too.

Yup, lots of blue cheeses around my area. I just really never took notice until recently since I have been on the must find and consume blue cheese kick! Probably started with a subpar version of blue cheese dressing that was used with some rather great tasting wings we made! The quest was on! LOL

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yup, lots of blue cheeses around my area. I just really never took notice until recently since I have been on the must find and consume blue cheese kick! Probably started with a subpar version of blue cheese dressing that was used with some rather great tasting wings we made! The quest was on! LOL

With blues, I like that perfect balance between that salty tart sharpness and some creaminess.

The very best of blues manage to be both.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
With blues, I like that perfect balance between that salty tart sharpness and some creaminess.

The very best of blues manage to be both.

Agree... 100%. I really like them if they have a lot of creaminess. I have also found, just because you have a lot of greenish-blueish veins, doesn't mean it will be a good blue cheese. You right, you need that balance.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The stinkier the better is my rule of thumb. When you open your fridge the cheese should greet you immediately.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The stinkier the better is my rule of thumb. When you open your fridge the cheese should greet you immediately.

I find that cheese is best if it has been taken out from the fridge at least an hour before you plan to eat it, and allowed to reach room temperature.

In general, in my experience, the aroma of a cheese is a lot more pronounced when the cheese is at room temperature; it shouldn't really have too much of an aroma while it is in the fridge.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I find that cheese is best if it has been taken out from the fridge at least an hour before you plan to eat it, and allowed to reach room temperature.

In general, in my experience, the aroma of a cheese is a lot more pronounced when the cheese is at room temperature; it shouldn't really have too much of an aroma while it is in the fridge.
Certainly it should not be eaten without getting up to room temperature if one has the time and plans ahead. However there are times when a cold piece of cheddar is much better than no cheddar at all!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Certainly it should not be eaten without getting up to room temperature if one has the time and plans ahead. However there are times when a cold piece of cheddar is much better than no cheddar at all!

Oh, agreed.

Cheese is most welcome in any shape, (or temperature), and, one of the advantages of living in the temperate northern latitudes is that cheese does not need to be kept in the fridge at all times. A few hours out of the fridge, breathing naturally, does the cheese a lot of good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.