Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I bought a few cheeses today; Gorgonzola Cremosa, seasonal Stilton, creamy, oozing Camembert, a slice of Etivaz (a cheese not unlike Emmenthaler or Gruyere, but better than both), a slice of very aged (24 months) Comte, and a slice of goat's Gouda truffle cheese.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Decided to try this new cheese out and I like it. Sliced a few slices on some very soft butter rolls I picked up at the Japanese Supermarket. Added some olive oil and sslt onto Avocados and added them to the cheese inside butter roll. Soft, mild, and creamy.

IMG_20200103_114725.jpg IMG_20200103_114848.jpg IMG_20200103_114832.jpg IMG_20200103_114807.jpg
[automerge]1578081334[/automerge]
Hehe... the favorites of my kids in those times:

mini-babybel.jpg

730.jpg
Two of the cheese types I grew up eating as a kid ?

Last edited:

Ollé

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia
My wife and I thought we‘d treat ourselves this weekend and indulged in a beautiful slice of Vacherousse D’Argental a beautifully gooey French Brie and some locally made Roquefort which was absolutely devine.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My wife and I thought we‘d treat ourselves this weekend and indulged in a beautiful slice of Vacherousse D’Argental a beautifully gooey French Brie and some locally made Roquefort which was absolutely devine.

Wow, I have never come across Vacherousse D'Argental before; sounds delicious, and I'd imagine that the aroma, texture and taste are all amazing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It its. I've never been able to stop at just one piece! Especially when it has been left to warm to room temperature and it's oozing everywhere.

I have to add that to my "must sample, savour and taste" list of cheeses; just reading your description (and the descriptions I have subsequently come across online) is mouth watering.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Even though this splendid cheese is described as not unlike a Brie, I suspect that it may be closer in texture, taste and aroma to to something akin to a Munster or Pont l'Eveque.

Anyway, I shall do my level best to see if I can source this cheese.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm out of feta at the moment, and so also rather out of sorts as I did not recall that until I went to adorn a salad earlier this evening. Put some green olives and some bits of goat cheese instead but not what I'd had in mind.... so my mind is still trying to not get over it, even though the salad was fine and just a side salad at that, and even though I have now put feta on the shopping list. Gee. On to a movie or something to try to shift those mental gears!!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm out of feta at the moment, and so also rather out of sorts as I did not recall that until I went to adorn a salad earlier this evening. Put some green olives and some bits of goat cheese instead but not what I'd had in mind.... so my mind is still trying to not get over it, even though the salad was fine and just a side salad at that, and even though I have now put feta on the shopping list. Gee. On to a movie or something to try to shift those mental gears!!

Very annoying when your palate (or taste buds) insist on something which you are not in a position to give them.

Even more annoying is when they insist on reminding you of that particular craving long after the meal - or salad - in question has been consumed.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Very annoying when your palate (or taste buds) insist on something which you are not in a position to give them.

Even more annoying is when they insist on reminding you of that particular craving long after the meal - or salad - in question has been consumed.ain

Indeed. A neighbor did drop off some feta cheese for me today but now of course it's snowing again and we're headed to a couple days with single-digit overnight temperatures. I'm thinking more like a hearty soup with a little parmesan rind thrown in at end... Dog in manger situation though: I wouldn't give that feta up if someone begged for it now that snow's filling up our driveways!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed. A neighbor did drop off some feta cheese for me today but now of course it's snowing again and we're headed to a couple days with single-digit overnight temperatures. I'm thinking more like a hearty soup with a little parmesan rind thrown in at end... Dog in manger situation though: I wouldn't give that feta up if someone begged for it now that snow's filling up our driveways!

Try a soup some version of which I have prepared - twice - over the past week; chicken or vegetable stock, plus roughly chopped chilli, ginger, (thumb of, peeled and chopped), garlic (a few cloves, I err always on the side of greedy generosity), lime leaves, lemongrass, Thai fish sauce, and sugar; any vegetables - courgette, peas, tomatoes, carrot, shallots/onions, chopped white or green cabbage, even mushrooms, will go really well in the broth.

Rice, pasta, or any nice starch to accompany. Chicken if one wants meat, or any white fish and/or shellfish should one's taste lie in that direction.

But, very warming and soothing; tonight's stock was further flavoured - and immeasurably enhanced - by the four chicken thighs (skin and bone still attached for flavour) that simmered away for an hour and a half.

No cheeses today; it is too cold.

But you will doubtless find room for those ends of parmesan (brilliant in soups) in due course, and the feta is a regular at your table, so there is no way that it will be overlooked or forgotten.

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Try a soup some version of which I have prepared - twice - over the past week; chicken or vegetable stock, plus roughly chopped chilli, ginger, (thumb of, peeled and chopped), garlic (a few cloves, I err always on the side of greedy generosity), lime leaves, lemongrass, fish sauce, and sugar; any vegetables - courgette, peas, tomatoes, carrot, shallots/onions, chopped white or green cabbage, even mushrooms, will go really well in the broth.

Rice, pasta, or any nice starch to accompany. Chicken if one wants meat, or any white fish and/or shellfish should one's taste lie in that direction.

But, very warming and soothing; tonight's stock was further flavoured - and immeasurably enhanced - by the four chicken thighs (skin and bone still attached for flavour) that simmered away for an hour and a half.

No cheeses today; it is too cold.

But you will doubtless find room for those ends of parmesan (brilliant in soups) in due course, and the feta is a regular at your table, so there is no way that it will be overlooked or forgotten.

I'll have to try that over the weekend, I do think I have most of what's needed.

Tonight a soup or veggie stew almost, with an onion-heavy mirepoix (not precooked), shredded white cabbage, stewed tomatoes, a diced turnip, thin green beans cut in 2" lengths, white beans, some parsley, dried Mediterranean herbs, salt, black pepper and yes a nice parmesan rind saved up for the occasion. Just all into the pot with some vegetable stock from the freezer that was brought to a boil for the veggies to go in, and all let to simmer then for a couple hours. Let it snow out there!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll have to try that over the weekend, I do think I have most of what's needed.

Tonight a soup or veggie stew almost, with an onion-heavy mirepoix (not precooked), shredded white cabbage, stewed tomatoes, a diced turnip, thin green beans cut in 2" lengths, white beans, some parsley, dried Mediterranean herbs, salt, black pepper and yes a nice parmesan rind saved up for the occasion. Just all into the pot with some vegetable stock from the freezer that was brought to a boil for the veggies to go in, and all let to simmer then for a couple hours. Let it snow out there!

Sounds delicious.

The idea to prepare my own soup struck me for three reasons:

1. It is damned cold.
2. I love this kind of spicy Asian soup,
3. And - your point - I realised that I already had all of the ingredients ready to hand, either snugly tucked up among the vegetables, or as store cupboard staples.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

Jan-jan

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2020
I had a goat cheese salad yesterday. Very good, with apple pieces, salad and cucumbers.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Stilton would have to be one of my all-time favourite blues. I’m heading to our market tomorrow and I’m tossing up whether I should grab some more Stilton or some Gorgonzola Dolce...

I love (nay, adore) both, but, this time of year seems to call for Stilton that bit more, don't you think?

Or, perhaps, why not try both?

Yesterday, I had planned to purchase both Stilton, and Gorgonzola Dolce, (or Cremosa), but needed up with Stilton and aged Cashel Blue, as both were superb.

My suggestion, or recommendation, would be to ask to sample both and see which of them appeals more to your palate on the day.

Reactions: Ollé
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.