Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
Hi guys,

Sorry if my question is not in the right thread. I'm going to purchase a new, unboxed MacBook Pro 16 from a person.

What should I look for to be assured that everything is legit?

Naturally, the first thing will be checking the serial number. To be honest, I've never checked it before the purchase of an Apple product (usually I'm buying from Apple or other stores).

What should I see when checking the serial number before the device is activated? Yellow purchase date, warranty?

Thanks in advance!

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Hi guys,

Sorry if my question is not in the right thread. I'm going to purchase a new, unboxed MacBook Pro 16 from a person.

What should I look for to be assured that everything is legit?

Naturally, the first thing will be checking the serial number. To be honest, I've never checked it before the purchase of an Apple product (usually I'm buying from Apple or other stores).

What should I see when checking the serial number before the device is activated? Yellow purchase date, warranty?

Thanks in advance!

You could phone Apple and run the serial number by them, explain you are buying it from someone and not sure if this is stolen etc so wanted to confirm.

Also, I would ask the seller to transfer the ownership of it by letting Appelcare know as it will be registered to his email address (assuming he bought it from Apple directly).

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I have been using my 2016 for 6 months. Going to sell it since I just ordered a new 16", spec:
Silver
2.3Ghz 8 core
2TB storage
32GB RAM
8GB gfx ram
This is my only computer where I run multiple VM's and do some video editing in Premiere so I am hoping for better performance. Goodbye butterfly keyboard.

Reactions: PeterJP

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You should cancel that order immediately.

You cannot make a statement as a suggestion without any information to back it up. Basically, you're just blurting out a suggestion without any stimulus.

What's your workflow?

Closer ... but a workflow by it's definition does not define what the persons needs are. A workflow is a sequence of processes through which a piece of work passes from initiation to completion. What you're asking is a singular workflow, not all needs.

Why is this word used so often mistakenly.
One's workflow to create a single art piece "could" mean:
MBP/Mac mini/Mac Pro/iMac + digital pen + said software + storage + screen etc = final piece.
an iPad could also be used.

BUT ... tomorrow a person may wish to organize their massive owned iTunes library, edit photos, work on audio composition, recordings, etc. write a novel, work on DB administration or design, etc etc.

workflow is a singular piece not ALL the needs any user considers when making a purchase. Am I understanding this words definition in iOS/macOS' 'lookup' function for dictionary?

MrTing

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
St Helens, Merseyside, UK.
I ordered a 16" MBP last week, it changed to shipped over the weekend but it has to come to the UK via The Netherlands, my last one came direct with UPS, this time it's DHL. I upgraded to the top i9 and GFX. Refreshing the tracking information every 3 minutes will make it come quicker, right? Apple said once it arrives at DHL in The Netherlands it'll give me a delivery estimate, at the moment it's still showing as 27-29th :)

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
Ordered a 16" MBP on Saturday. Estimated delivery date is 11th Feb here in UK.

I ordered an XDR Pro Display on 17th December that arrived today. The massive lead times on all this kit is really putting me off. I'm tempted to cancel and return everything.

I'm sure people will make the point that I should have ordered them both at the same time. My view was that I wanted them to arrive at the same time so that I could have the warranty line up -- I didn't want to have a Pro Display sitting around ticking away at the warranty when I'm unable to use it. Apple shipped my XDR ~3 weeks earlier than the estimated shipping date.

If Apple does deliver the MacBook Pro on the estimated delivery date of 11th Feb, i'll have been waiting 2 months to buy a MacBook and accompanying monitor... Ugh...

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I ordered mine on Saturday morning my time (Friday evening in the UK) with an estimate of 31st January to 4th Feb, so the 11th seems quite slow for you @vodoman.

i got the base i9 model with the 1 TB SSD and 16 GB RAM, but decided to get the 8 GB graphics because it’s not that expensive and I thought: why not?

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
I ordered mine on Saturday morning my time (Friday evening in the UK) with an estimate of 31st January to 4th Feb, so the 11th seems quite slow for you @vodoman.

i got the base i9 model with the 1 TB SSD and 16 GB RAM, but decided to get the 8 GB graphics because it’s not that expensive and I thought: why not?
I ordered the i9 @ 2.3GHz, 2TB SSD, 32GB RAM and the 8GB GPU.

Reactions: kave and simonmet

MrTing

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
I ordered a custom one on the 15th Jan. 16gb memory, 512 ssd, 2.4/5ghz i9, 8gb and gfx.

They mailed on the 17th to say dispatched and I've not had anything since. The tracking says shipment information received and it's coming from the Netherlands, via China!

Last time I ordered one was 14th August, also customised, dispatched 19th, delivered on the 23rd, 4 days earlier than the original estimate. That came direct with UPS from China. This time however it's coming with DHL via NL via China. Not sure why the extra step.

Z28McCrory

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Indiana
I ordered a 16” (2.3 GHz 8-Core/64GB RAM/1TB SSD/8GB 5500M) yesterday evening from B&H at 5:40PM.

It just arrived (ready for pickup at local FedEx location hold site) about 30 min ago (9:00am local time). The saver overnight shipping cost $23.

I’ll also note, B&H price matched the $200 off “APINSIDER” promo code that can be used at Adorama. I simply got on their online chat, told them about the Adorama promo, and a few minutes later they sent me a 1 time use promo code for the same discount.

Can’t wait to pick it up in a couple hours.

I was going to hold off another year or so, but my late 2013 15” rMBP became painful to use after I got my 2019 Mac Pro a few weeks ago, so decided to go ahead and upgrade laptops too.

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
Ordered a 16" MBP on Saturday. Estimated delivery date is 11th Feb here in UK.

I ordered an XDR Pro Display on 17th December that arrived today. The massive lead times on all this kit is really putting me off. I'm tempted to cancel and return everything.

I'm sure people will make the point that I should have ordered them both at the same time. My view was that I wanted them to arrive at the same time so that I could have the warranty line up -- I didn't want to have a Pro Display sitting around ticking away at the warranty when I'm unable to use it. Apple shipped my XDR ~3 weeks earlier than the estimated shipping date.

If Apple does deliver the MacBook Pro on the estimated delivery date of 11th Feb, i'll have been waiting 2 months to buy a MacBook and accompanying monitor... Ugh...
I got a notification from the Deliveries app today to let me know my order has moved from 'Processing' to 'Preparing to Ship.' Absolutely wild that they are shipping it 21 days prior to their estimate. Absolutely not complaining about this, it just seems counter productive to lead potential customers to believe the window from order to ship is so much larger than it really is.

Any UK customers have any anecdotal experience around how long it takes from 'preparing to ship' to actually having it at my front door?

Reactions: simonmet

MrTing

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
Any UK customers have any anecdotal experience around how long it takes from 'preparing to ship' to actually having it at my front door?

Yes! As I understand it, they believe in underpromising and overdelivering. So, rather than tell you it'll be there on Friday if there's any chance it won't be, they'll tell you that it'll be there on Tuesday, then delight you with the information that actually, it'll be there on Friday.

I was told not to expect my custom MBP until Wednesday next week, just had a message saying that it'll be delivered to me tomorrow, I knew refreshing the shipping information every 3 minutes since Saturday would help :)

They did exactly the same with my last custom MBP order and it arrived 6 days earlier than the original promise.

Reactions: gjr74

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
My order was marked as Shipped yesterday, but the estimated delivery is 28th January. That’s a bit unusual because in the past I’ve had laptops arrive within a couple of days from China. Maybe they’re cutting some of the transport costs. Not that I mind and it could still arrive sooner.

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
My order was marked as Shipped yesterday, but the estimated delivery is 28th January. That’s a bit unusual because in the past I’ve had laptops arrive within a couple of days from China. Maybe they’re cutting some of the transport costs. Not that I mind and it could still arrive sooner.
Mine was dispatched on Tuesday. The shipping details from Netherlands still haven’t changed. They ship from China to the depot in Netherlands, at which point the tracking starts to actually start doing something.

Taking a while to get from China to Netherlands!

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2009
London
Mine was dispatched on Tuesday. The shipping details from Netherlands still haven’t changed. They ship from China to the depot in Netherlands, at which point the tracking starts to actually start doing something.

Taking a while to get from China to Netherlands!
pretty sure they won't update over the weekend anyway... Mine shipped Wednesday, and expected to deliver by 31st. Which is an improvement over the 11th Feb I was told at point of sale.

*Edit mine Is a MacPro not MBP.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Just got my 16” model, i9 5500m in Space Grey. Haven’t done or tested much yet. Obviously checking audio is on the cards. I did notice some slight chromatic aberration in the menu bar, which has been reported as probably a software/driver issue. Not enough to bother me yet.

doesntkillya

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
Ordered my space grey 16" BTO i9 2.3Ghz, 32GB, 1TB, 8GB 5500m with us keyboard layout on the 21st. Still on processing with an ETA of 13th - 17th Feb...

I guess BTO takes quite a long time.

Turtle353

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I got the 13” MBP 256 SSD and 8 GB for my home office and sales role. I dabble in pro tools and garage band and editing GoPro footage but primarily just an office tool.

Should be a nice upgrade still milking the 2008 Unibody MacBook. I maxed it out a couple years ago but slowly dying after software upgrades.

Is the Caldigit TP3 Plus the best dock available for $250ish?

B&H is where I ordered and they shipped it FedEx but the site appears to be down for delivery management.

tearsen

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
On January 21 I ordered an MBP 16“ with 64Gb 2TB. Estimated delivery date was Feb 11. Since 3 days it is pending on status „preparing to ship“. Today the estimated arrival date slipped to Feb 25. Anybody experiencing similar delays? Could it be due to the coronavirus, why I´m seeing such A big delay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.