Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Linux just a hobby? Uh... And you worked in the IT? Really? I mean if you talk about desktop, then I agree with you. (except for steamOS)

But servers, embedded systems, routers, entertainment systems. All these runs Linux and these are products we all buy and use. Not just some hobby OS. You're completely wrong if you believe this.

Also Linux on servers outperforms Windows by far. That's a known fact. Seems absurd to even argue about this.
I know all he's saying is absurd. Its so obvious and clear that Linux domimates the servers. They dont run Windows because its too unreliable lol

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I was hoping someone would say this. I realize I’m on a Mac forum but it’s bizarre going on such angry tirades about Gates and privacy and user agency etc regarding windows while acting like these other figures are peaches and their platforms are easy breezy and issue free…
The base of Linux is Unix, which was created at Bell Labs by good people. Linus Torvalds is just an angry filthy piece of _____ who just tool Unix and made it different.

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
I know all he's saying is absurd. Its so obvious and clear that Linux domimates the servers. They dont run Windows because its too unreliable lol
There's more to that. There are more reasons than stability. Licensing, openness, ease of management.

When you use windows server? When you manage employee's Windows desktops in the company. Then, obviously, you want to have active directory and other Microsoft stuff to manage those desktops. But other than that, Linux is the king on the servers.

The fact is 80% of internet servers are running Linux and almost all super computers are running Linux. Every home router runs Linux, except for Cisco every core router runs Linux (Arista, Mikrotik...).

Just some first source on hand to confirm the share on servers and supercomputers https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkTheHusky1902

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
The base of Linux is Unix, which was created at Bell Labs by good people. Linus Torvalds is just an angry filthy piece of _____ who just tool Unix and made it different.
That's not true. Linux was inspired by Unix. But there's zero Unix code. Linus Torvalds is not angry filtry piece of... Learn something about Linux and Unix history. And I don't mean it in a wrong way.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
That's not true. Linux was inspired by Unix. But there's zero Unix code. Linus Torvalds is not angry filtry piece of... Learn something about Linux and Unix history. And I don't mean it in a wrong way.
Ok theres so much misinformation here then...i should always check for myself because what i was told here was wrong...

Reactions: hacky

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
There's more to that. There are more reasons than stability. Licensing, openness, ease of management.

When you use windows server? When you manage employee's Windows desktops in the company. Then, obviously, you want to have active directory and other Microsoft stuff to manage those desktops. But other than that, Linux is the king on the servers.

The fact is 80% of internet servers are running Linux and almost all super computers are running Linux. Every home router runs Linux, except for Cisco every core router runs Linux (Arista, Mikrotik...).

Just some first source on hand to confirm the share on servers and supercomputers https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
I referred to that wiki page before...its soo obvious. Thanks for the info btw

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
I've been exclusively using Funtoo (neé Gentoo) for the past decade (at least outside of Mac OS (which is my daily), and Win64 (I seem to still have few licenses installed on a few machines)).

Yes, after a decade of Gentoo, since the early drobbins days, and distro-hopping for almost another decade after that, my life has changed completely.

I now use my machines as tools to get work done and I’m happy to pay Apple to manage the software and hardware infrastructure. If you think about it, macOS is Apple’s version of Gentoo: a stage 1 install with USE Flags and CFLAGS all optimized to the hardware that they have picked.”

As a long-time Gentoo aficionado, I can really appreciate what Apple have produced here.

Last edited:
Reactions: splifingate

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Yes, after a decade of Gentoo, since the early drobbins days, and distro-hopping for almost another decade after that, my life has changed completely.

I now use my machines as tools to get work done and I’m happy to pay Apple to manage the software and hardware infrastructure. If you think about it, macOS is like Apple’s version of Gentoo: a stage 1 install with USE Flags and CFLAGS all optimized to the hardware that they have picked.”

As a long-time Gentoo aficionado, I can really appreciate what Apple have produced here.
I agree, and i will admit i am pleasantly surprised by macOS , and its my favorite OS.

Reactions: Jay Tee

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I see you talking about Linux dependency hell multiple times here. Honest question - in which cases did you experience it and on which distributions?

I'm managing thousands of Debian servers for more than 15 years now and in fact I never experienced dependency hell. And we don't even upgrade everything so often.

The last time I experienced dependency hell was at the start of my carreer on Gentoo when I left it too long without updates.
Last time was on Red Hat.

You guys don't seem to appreciate that snap packages and the like only exist because of dependency hell.

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
Last time was on Red Hat.

You guys don't seem to appreciate that snap packages and the like only exist because of dependency hell.
Snap packages are indeed nice, but they are pointed mainly towards desktop environments than high performance bare metal setups.

Anyway, how many times did you experience dependency hell and in which time frame? I want to understand how prevalent this issue is for you. Because for me it still seems like rather rare/minor issue. I definitely disagree dependency hell is a common thing today (last 10 years in fact).

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
iPad's hardware is great. What drags it down is software.

If there was ability to run fully fledged macOS (it's completely imaginable when using magic keyboard with trackpad), it would be a killer device.

With iPadOS, it is however just an bigger iPhone with possibility to run two iOS apps side by side. But it's nowhere near macOS/Macbook quality of work when using iPad.

And yes, I have iPad Pro. Great HW, killed by its software. If you use it for just browsing the web and Facetime, then it's great and suits your needs - but at the same time, you really don't need iPad Pro for such task.
Interesting. My experience with the iPad Pro has been very different. I use it (without an external keyboard) as a compliment to my MacBook Pro — not as a replacement. And it has been a no compromise device for serious work as well as leisure.

My iPad Pro has virtually the same productivity software I use on my Mac (MS Word / Excel /Powerpoint / Teams, Slack, Pages, Keynote, NotesPlus, Affinity Designer, Pixelmator Pro, Transmit, BBEdit, GitHub Desktop, and a few more). This coupled with shared iCloud Documents allows me to do 80% of what I need to do on the iPad Pro. The 20% I can’t do on the iPad involves Xcode and related heavy development / large file tasks.

I am more productive with the combination because I am able to use the best device based on context. If the task is lean-forward production oriented I use my MacBook Pro at a desk with/without external monitor. If the work is lean-back ideation / cogitation I use my iPad leaning back on on the couch, chair, etc. The nature of my work involves both modes depending on the stage of the project/task and I am able to seamlessly shift from device to device and continue working on tasks in multiple contexts (at my desk, on the couch, in the car, etc.).

Net-net: The iPad Pro is suited to way more than just surfing the web .. and serious Professional work is being done every day on iPad Pros as well as non-Pro iPads. Your degree of success depends on your use cases and whether you use the iPad as it was designed or try to force it to do what you wish it could do.

Reactions: pdoherty

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
Interesting. My experience with the iPad Pro has been very different. I use it (without an external keyboard) as a compliment to my MacBook Pro — not as a replacement. And it has been a no compromise device for serious work as well as leisure.

My iPad Pro has virtually the same productivity software I use on my Mac (MS Word / Excel /Powerpoint / Teams, Slack, Pages, Keynote, NotesPlus, Affinity Designer, Pixelmator Pro, Transmit, BBEdit, GitHub Desktop, and a few more). This coupled with shared iCloud Documents allows me to do 80% of what I need to do on the iPad Pro. The 20% I can’t do on the iPad involves Xcode and related heavy development / large file tasks.

I am more productive with the combination because I am able to use the best device based on context. If the task is lean-forward production oriented I use my MacBook Pro at a desk with/without external monitor. If the work is lean-back ideation / cogitation I use my iPad leaning back on on the couch, chair, etc. The nature of my work involves both modes depending on the stage of the project/task and I am able to seamlessly shift from device to device and continue working on tasks in multiple contexts (at my desk, on the couch, in the car, etc.).

Net-net: The iPad Pro is suited to way more than just surfing the web .. and serious Professional work is being done every day on iPad Pros as well as non-Pro iPads. Your degree of success depends on your use cases and whether you use the iPad as it was designed or try to force it to do what you wish it could do.
I'm happy for you.

Unfortunately I hoped to be able to use it as replacement for the Macbook on the go. And it can't accomplish that at all.

Copy-pasting part of the received message on Slack is impossible, non-existent programming IDE, ssh is very limited and clunky at best (no easy way to scp file from/to server, not easy to have multiple windows of terminals...). Sound automatically switches to the HDMI output when connected to my docking station - not possible to switch it to the internal iPad speakers. If the app does not have window currently open in stage manager, iPadOS may close it at random - which is painful especially when working remotely on server and you need to search something or message someone on slack. When you leave ssh client app, iPadOS may decide to kill it in the meantime, so your session is lost. etc. etc. etc.

It obviously depends on the nature of the work as you already said. But for me productivity on iPad is nowhere near to Macbook and its due to its limited software and limited keyboard (no escape key? Really?). Otherwise its great from HW standpoint.

Reactions: sterex

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
It obviously depends on the nature of the work as you already said. But for me productivity on iPad is nowhere near to Macbook and its due to its limited software and limited keyboard (no escape key? Really?). Otherwise its great from HW standpoint.

If you own a MacBook, and given that every Mac owner has an iPhone, an additional iPad will serve a very narrow function.

An iPad is more convenient though. While we think nothing of reaching for our iPhones, there is a level of resistance to pull-out a MacBook: we need to dip into our bags to get it out, we need a table to lay it down, we need to open-up the display for it to start, and, possibly, connect a data link; this is cumbersome when you're a realtor moving through rooms, or an engineer on the factory floor.

There just isn't as much friction associated with iPads; the stylus brings another level of convenience.

Last edited:

sterex

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2023
Sweden
Amazing device specs for a Linux tablet - that is really welcome. But doesn't compare to what an iPad is, and who it is for. The target user groups for iPads are not Desktop users. Maybe the right comparison is between Microsoft Surface?

Reactions: heretiq

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Snap packages are indeed nice, but they are pointed mainly towards desktop environments than high performance bare metal setups.

Anyway, how many times did you experience dependency hell and in which time frame? I want to understand how prevalent this issue is for you. Because for me it still seems like rather rare/minor issue. I definitely disagree dependency hell is a common thing today (last 10 years in fact).
Why are you so intent on probing my personal instances of dependency hell when my point doesn't rely on the frequency of me personally seeing it? I was responded to the other posters replies, where they seemed to suggest that installing things was as simple as typing a command - I was showing that it's not always that simple as things can go wrong and showed and example of the same (there are many more).

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
Why are you so intent on probing my personal instances of dependency hell when my point doesn't rely on the frequency of me personally seeing it? I was responded to the other posters replies, where they seemed to suggest that installing things was as simple as typing a command - I was showing that it's not always that simple as things can go wrong and showed and example of the same (there are many more).
Because managing Linux is my bread and butter. So it's kind of interesting and important topic to me. So when someone says a thing which clearly goes against my (quite) long experience with this system I want to understand where their information comes from.

If your point was to say, that sometimes it may go wrong, then I agree with you - but same can be said with everything. Even installation on Mac is not buttery smooth every single time.

However I say - according to my long term professional experience - it is quite rare to installation go wrong (i.e. experiencing dependency hell) when installing from official repositories.

If you wanted to say dependency hell is something which happens not rarely but rather often then I strongly disagree with such statement.

Reactions: ArkSingularity

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
I feel like once you stray away from DMGs and the like to command line installation and configuration, you've moved away from the GUI-side efforts Apple has put into making the platform mindlessly easy to use and you no longer get anything easier than modern Linux in terms of dependencies etc.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I feel like once you stray away from DMGs and the like to command line installation and configuration, you've moved away from the GUI-side efforts Apple has put into making the platform mindlessly easy to use and you no longer get anything easier than modern Linux in terms of dependencies etc.
Like when Linux users wander outside of official repositories and start adding repos to install third-party apps. Things can get messy when doing that.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Like when Linux users wander outside of official repositories and start adding repos to install third-party apps. Things can get messy when doing that.
As much flak as snaps get, I actually really appreciate that they have substantially reduced the need to install PPAs for everything. I use them frequently for sysadmin stuff when I can get away with it, massively reduces the risk of something going wrong on system updates.

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
Totally agree with this. It always comes down to the package maintainer. If he does quality job, I trust his repository.

If he does not care about dependencies and breaks them in the packages, then it unfortunately can't work properly. Just like when you release broken app on macOS or just like when you break installation scripts in the macOS pkg installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.