Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
I have a Pro license, I'm fully aware of how to pause the updates. I have done this, and Windows has auto updated anyway (at inconvenient times). I don't feel like going through the registry to fix that, it shouldn't be necessary.

At some point it just gets tiring. Nothing against Microsoft, I've just gotten to the point where Windows just isn't for me.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
Fair enough. For me Mint is the end all be all.
Ok, but you dont know whats going on under the hood. In Linux you know. They have tracking stuff that you dont know about.

Just FYI, Mint has had their ISOs compromised under their noses and had backdoors inserted in the past.

You're falling victim to the very common trap of Linux dogmatism. It's an easy trap to fall into but just be careful you don't turn into a monster. o_O

I dropped Linux for macOS a few years ago but prior to that I was daily driving Linux for a decade and a decade before that I was either dual booting or dabbling. I like Linux and I am very much behind the cause of free and open software but there's a lot to to be critical about. It's not perfect and certainly not the end all, be all.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I have a Pro license, I'm fully aware of how to pause the updates. I have done this, and Windows has auto updated anyway (at inconvenient times). I don't feel like going through the registry to fix that, it shouldn't be necessary.

At some point it just gets tiring. I've gotten to the point where Windows just isn't for me.
Thats what im saying. It auto updates anyway in very inconvenient times, like, if youre gonna update, do it when im not logged in or something!

Reactions: ArkSingularity

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Just FYI, Mint has had their ISOs compromised under their noses and had backdoors inserted in the past.

You're falling victim to the very common trap of Linux dogmatism. It's an easy trap to fall into but just be careful you don't turn into a monster. o_O

I dropped Linux for macOS a few years ago but prior to that I was daily driving Linux for a decade and a decade before that I was either dual booting or dabbling. I like Linux and I am very much behind the cause of free and open software but there's a lot to to be critical about. It's not perfect and certainly not the end all, be all.
Ok, but id rather support Linux than Gates.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
That's dogmatism. Bill Gates stepped down as CEO over 20 years ago and hasn't even been on the board since 2020.

The Microsoft of today is unrecognizable to the one of the Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer eras
Thats true, and im not trying to be one of those 'LINUX POWER USER, LINUX FOR LIFE AGHHH' type of people, but i just really really despise Windows.

Reactions: TiggrToo

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Yea, it's far from perfect. The fragmentation especially is a difficult problem to solve. The situation with application binaries was finally taken care of in a way that was fairly user-friendly (flatpaks and snaps are very convenient), but because different distributions vary so wildly from each other, the flatpak runtimes have to be huge in order to have all of the dependencies required to run different applications.

It's one of those things that's always been messy on the Linux ecosystem. I'm not sure I really see it being fixed anytime soon, but from a user standpoint (the most important thing that matters), it's definitely much better than it used to be.

Reactions: HawkTheHusky1902

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Yea, it's far from perfect. The fragmentation especially is a difficult problem to solve. The situation with application binaries was finally taken care of in a way that was fairly user-friendly (flatpaks and snaps are very convenient), but because different distributions vary so wildly from each other, the flatpak runtimes have to be huge in order to have all of the dependencies required to run different applications.

It's one of those things that's always been messy on the Linux ecosystem. I'm not sure I really see it being fixed anytime soon, but from a user standpoint (the most important thing that matters), it's definitely much better than it used to be.
There are definitely some problems, but i will continue to use Linux and macOS. There is actually no perfect end all be all OS, but Linux and macOS are both pretty good. What i meant before is that Mint is the end all be all Linux distro, and it will continue to improve. Linux is very impressive, because it can revive quite old machines to work great!

Reactions: ArkSingularity

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Really depends on category, as you said, but it’s vastly more than just webservers. The only real reason windows is so prevalent in numbers is active directory/gpo servers. Almost every other use of servers is completely dominated by Linux
Disagree (and I spent 25 years in IT). Citrix servers, SQL servers, NetBackup servers (70% on Windows), ITSM (ticketing) systems, etc. The vast majority of servers of nearly all functions run on Windows.

Last edited:

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Disagree (and I spent 25 years in IT). Citrix servers, SQL servers, VMware servers, NetBackup servers (70% on Windows), ITSM (ticketing) systems, etc. The vast majority of servers of nearly all functions run on Windows.
Not true. Linux. Windows is too unreliable for servers. From one source, Techradar: "While Windows may be the world's most popular Operating System (OS) for desktop PCs, the world's most popular OS for the internet's web servers is Linux."

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Oh . . . 'apt'

My history with apt has been extremely solid (as has it been with Debian, in general) ;)

There were some raw days in the latter 90's, but it became much easier. It was a real chore installing Debian from scratch on dialup.

Still use a derivation on my RPi (muscle-memory really comes in handy).

I've been exclusively using Funtoo (neé Gentoo) for the past decade (at least outside of Mac OS (which is my daily), and Win64 (I seem to still have few licenses installed on a few machines)).

On the linux side of things, I don't want everything handed to me. I want to learn ;)
I learned plenty about Linux (achieved an RHCE in fact). But "learning" how to fix dependency hells caused by the package manager (or package maintainer for the software you're trying to update/install) is mostly a waste of time and not the type of learning anyone wants.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkTheHusky1902

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I don't camp in the Mac OS or Windows camps because I like them both, as well as iPad OS. I leave the war between the Apple and MS fans to the immature children.
Screwdrivers are the best!!

No, hammers are the best!!

Grrrrr....

Reactions: TiggrToo

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
“Absolutely destroys windows“.

that sounds like the kind nonsensical hyperbole you read between kids on XBox vs PlayStation videogame forum threads. I use Linux daily but in no way would I go that far… I also use windows (and apple) products daily because they all bring something to the table (just now getting super pissed off at the mediocre Firefox port on iOS which makes editing posts like this a headache)
Agreed. I like them all too. I have, in one room/home-office in my house, a Mac Mini, two Windows PCs, a Windows laptop and a Linux server. Nary a fight has broken out amongst them.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Screwdrivers are the best!!

No, hammers are the best!!

Grrrrr....
No, Linux is very inconvenient!!!😭 Most servers run Windows!!😭 ignore that Android is based on Linux and it is the most popular OS on the planet😭

Screenshot_20230825-162358.jpg

Ignore that Unix is the most popular web server OS😭

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Not true. Linux. Windows is too unreliable for servers. From one source, Techradar: "While Windows may be the world's most popular Operating System (OS) for desktop PCs, the world's most popular OS for the internet's web servers is Linux."
Web servers are only for... the web. And don't makeup a significant percentage of all the compute servers out there.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.