Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Was looking down the specs of this thing, and I'm surprised to see that it has an Intel processor in it. I'm curious how the battery life is on it, it's the Intel N200 which has a 6W TDP (but likely will still use more power than an ARM processor would for lighter tasks).

On the bright side, software compatibility would be better. Linux on ARM can run most software, but there are still some things that aren't precompiled in the repos (and then there is Wine of course, which won't run on ARM at all).

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Consumer Linux has such a small market share that developers barely pay attention to it. Linux is more of a hobby thing in the consumer market. I asked all my friends, family, and colleagues...118 people all together in my personal sphere, and not one of them have even tried Linux. It is difficult, limited, and has mostly alternatives for mainstream apps/programs. Have tried many different distros through the years and I have not seen anything that remotely would make me want to switch over. I will gladly stick with Mac OS, Windows, and iPad OS. If I can't accomplish what I need to with those 3 OS's, I darn sure won't be able to accomplish what I need to with Linux, and I definitely don't need another useless hobby to waste my time on.
You do you, but clearly you havent tried out linux or if you did learn how to use it properly. Its great. Crapping all over Linux is not cool.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Was looking down the specs of this thing, and I'm surprised to see that it has an Intel processor in it. I'm curious how the battery life is on it, it's the Intel N200 which has a 6W TDP but likely will still use more power than an ARM processor would for lighter tasks.

On the bright side, software compatibility would be better. Linux on ARM can run most software, but there are still some things that aren't precompiled in the repos (and then there is Wine of course, which won't run at all on ARM).
They say 12 hours, but idk if you actually will get that. Either way, impressive tablet for a great price.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Consumer Linux has such a small market share that developers barely pay attention to it. Linux is more of a hobby thing in the consumer market. I asked all my friends, family, and colleagues...118 people all together in my personal sphere, and not one of them have even tried Linux. It is difficult, limited, and has mostly alternatives for mainstream apps/programs. Have tried many different distros through the years and I have not seen anything that remotely would make me want to switch over. I will gladly stick with Mac OS, Windows, and iPad OS. If I can't accomplish what I need to with those 3 OS's, I darn sure won't be able to accomplish what I need to with Linux, and I definitely don't need another useless hobby to waste my time on.
Also, WHY DO MOST SERVERS AND EVEN MICROSOFT THEMSELVES USE LINUX?
Hint: because its rock solid

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I know, :(

Hahah

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I never claimed it was useless in the commercial space. I am only speaking about the consumer market.
ok

Im just saying (and im not a Linux only user or hardcore user or anything like that, but i just love using it) that Linux is much better than most think, and it absolutely destroys windows. And its so good that macOS is based on Unix/Linux! MacOS wouldnt exist without Unix/Linux.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
ok

Im just saying (and im not a Linux only user or hardcore user or anything like that, but i just love using it) that Linux is much better than most think, and it absolutely destroys windows. And its so good that macOS is based on Unix/Linux! MacOS wouldnt exist without Unix/Linux.
So now you want to claim that Mac OS is a Linux distro? Yes, it is based on UNIX, but that does not make it a Linux system. And Linux may destroy Windows for you, but it does not for me and the vast majority of computer users. In fact, it hobbles my work flow, because I have to find lesser quality alternatives to the software I use on Mac and Windows, and even iPad OS. Like I said, 118 people in my own personal sphere, and not one of them has ever even tried Linux.

UNIX-Based
"It is a Unix-based operating system built on NeXTSTEP and other technology developed at NeXT from the late 1980s until early 1997, when Apple purchased the company and its CEO Steve Jobs returned to Apple."

Last edited:

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
So now you want to claim that Mac OS is a Linux distro? Yes, it is based on UNIX, but that does not make it a Linux system. And Linux may destroy Windows for you, but it does not for me and the vast majority of computer users. In fact, it hobbles my work flow, because I have to find lesser quality alternatives to the software I use on Mac and Windows, and even iPad OS. Like I said, 118 people in my own personal sphere, and not one of them has ever even tried Linux.

UNIX-Based
"It is a Unix-based operating system built on NeXTSTEP and other technology developed at NeXT from the late 1980s until early 1997, when Apple purchased the company and its CEO Steve Jobs returned to Apple."
Ok, but how can you possibly use Windows? It is a resource hogging, spyware infected, and Bill-Gates piece of crap! Whatever...you do you. Its just that i can run Linux on my 15 year old thinkpad, with 1gb ram, just fine! Windows would render it useless, but Linux makes it great! THAT is impressive.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Ok, but how can you possibly use Windows? It is a resource hogging, spyware infected, and Bill-Gates piece of crap! Whatever...you do you. Its just that i can run Linux on my 15 year old thinkpad, with 1gb ram, just fine! Windows would render it useless, but Linux makes it great! THAT is impressive.
I don't camp in the Mac OS or Windows camps because I like them both, as well as iPad OS. I leave the war between the Apple and MS fans to the immature children. Personally, I can make both Mac OS and Windows stand on their heads and spit jellybeans. They are both nicely customizable, with Windows being even more so, and I don't have to search for and depend on inferior or incompatible alternative programs/apps.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I don't camp in the Mac OS or Windows camps because I like them both, as well as iPad OS. I leave the war between the Apple and MS fans to the immature children. Personally, I can make both Mac OS and Windows stand on their heads and spit jellybeans. They are both nicely customizable, with Windows being even more so, and I don't have to search for and depend on inferior or incompatible alternative programs/apps.
Fair enough, i just think Linux is worth trying and is underrated.

Reactions: bondr006

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
… Linux. It is difficult, limited, and has mostly alternatives for mainstream apps/programs. Have tried many different distros through the years …. I darn sure won't be able to accomplish what I need to with Linux
Alternatives to mainstream software - totally. No debate.

but difficult and limited? No way you can do what you need to do on it?

I have a very hard time believing anyone who has tried “many distros” for years would say this. Maybe if all those many distros and many years were all… many years ago… Slackware anyone?

have you used the latest Mint or ElementaryOS? At risk of offending someone, you’d have to be a real computer novice to be unable to use them (unless it’s the case where they don’t support the specific software you need of course, which I agree remains the major elephant in the room for Linux. Until you learn wine and proton of course)

• Love
Reactions: 3530025

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
ok

“Absolutely destroys windows“.

that sounds like the kind nonsensical hyperbole you read between kids on XBox vs PlayStation videogame forum threads. I use Linux daily but in no way would I go that far… I also use windows (and apple) products daily because they all bring something to the table (just now getting super pissed off at the mediocre Firefox port on iOS which makes editing posts like this a headache)

Last edited:
Reactions: pdoherty

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
This. Most people think Linux is way too complicated, its not, doesmt have to be. I tried 4 versioms of Mint, and it was great. Much more clean and sleek than macOs in my opinion.
Modern Linux distros are generally pretty simple and easy to use for most basic things. It’s just that anything outside of those basic things (e.g. key remapping, getting headphone jack detection working if it doesn’t out of the box) is probably going to involve hours of Googling and terminals and editing obscure config files and reading 4-year-old forum threads trying to figure out whether what worked for someone on Ubuntu 18.04 with different hardware is going to work for you on the latest Fedora or Mint. ;)

Like, it’s ~90-95% of the way there to being something you’d recommend to a non-techie friend or uncle. That remaining 5-10% is critical though. For example, I’ve been running Fedora + KDE on a cheap Ryzen Chromebook as a secondary computer for the past few months. Overall, it’s pretty good! However, KDE’s file manager has a baffling behaviour where whenever you drag a file from one place to another, it brings up a menu asking you to clarify whether you want to move, copy, or link the file to that folder. This happens every time, and it’s *not configurable*, even though every other major file manager for decades has defaulted to “move if on same volume, copy if dragging to a different one”. There are countless forum threads about this issue since 2004, a stalled pull request trying to make it optional a few years ago, and a very active bug report thread for the issue with lots of people expressing their frustration.

The main point being that even though the KDE ecosystem is probably the closest thing desktop Linux has to a visually/functional cohesive and consistent UI/UX, it’s tiny quirks like that that make it impossible to recommend to normal people. GNOME is even worse in this respect (in my opinion), given that it breaks so many of the basic conventions of Windows/macOS (e.g. no taskbar). Cinnamon is definitely the best at being intuitive to Windows/macOS users and is relatively pretty solid, but is still a little rough around the edges and limits you to Mint (which to be clear is a very good distro) if you want first class, out of the box support.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
“Absolutely destroys windows“.

that sounds like the kind nonsensical hyperbole you read between kids on XBox vs PlayStation videogame forum threads. I use Linux daily but in no way would I go that far… I also use windows (and apple) products daily because they all bring something to the table (just now getting super pissed off at the mediocre Firefox port on iOS which makes editing posts like this a headache)
for me its very simple why:
1. Bill Gates
2. error

• Haha

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Modern Linux distros are generally pretty simple and easy to use for most basic things. It’s just that anything outside of those basic things (e.g. key remapping, getting headphone jack detection working if it doesn’t out of the box) is probably going to involve hours of Googling and terminals and editing obscure config files and reading 4-year-old forum threads trying to figure out whether what worked for someone on Ubuntu 18.04 with different hardware is going to work for you on the latest Fedora or Mint. ;)

Like, it’s ~90-95% of the way there to being something you’d recommend to a non-techie friend or uncle. That remaining 5-10% is critical though. For example, I’ve been running Fedora + KDE on a cheap Ryzen Chromebook as a secondary computer for the past few months. Overall, it’s pretty good! However, KDE’s file manager has a baffling behaviour where whenever you drag a file from one place to another, it brings up a menu asking you to clarify whether you want to move, copy, or link the file to that folder. This happens every time, and it’s *not configurable*, even though every other major file manager for decades has defaulted to “move if on same volume, copy if dragging to a different one”. There are countless forum threads about this issue since 2004, a stalled pull request trying to make it optional a few years ago, and a very active bug report thread for the issue with lots of people expressing their frustration.

The main point being that even though the KDE ecosystem is probably the closest thing desktop Linux has to a visually/functional cohesive and consistent UI/UX, it’s tiny quirks like that that make it impossible to recommend to normal people. GNOME is even worse in this respect (in my opinion), given that it breaks so many of the basic conventions of Windows/macOS (e.g. no taskbar). Cinnamon is definitely the best at being intuitive to Windows/macOS users and is relatively pretty solid, but is still a little rough around the edges and limits you to Mint (which to be clear is a very good distro) if you want first class, out of the box support.
Honestly i agree with most of your points. Mint, PopOS, and Zorin are Windows killers, and VERY GOOD OSes. Period.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Honestly i agree with most of your points. Mint, PopOS, and Zorin are Windows killers, and VERY GOOD OSes. Period.
I am sorry, but even if we are friends, I totally disagree with you on this. Linux is not anything close to being a Windows killer, and will not be in any foreseeable future. If anything is going to "kill" Windows, it's going to be Mac OS.

Linux Hits All-Time High of 3% of Desktop PC Share After 30 Years

"Currently, Windows commands 68.15% of the PC market share, MacOS occupies 21.38%, Chrome OS has 4.15%, and Linux is used on 3.08% of PCs. Around 3.24% of all systems run either FreeBSD or an unknown operating system, which are most likely either very new or very old versions of popular OSes."

6r4znyv6UMu9figwopSejE-970-80.png

One of the comments at Tom's Hardware, where this article and OS stats come from.

"This is the typical fake news article I despise, where the article is technically correct, but incredibly manipulative and clickbaitey.

I pulled up the desktop data and added the percentages in an image. (0.04% was rounded down, 0.05% rounded up)

This is what the stats show.

1) Linux usage in the US has DROPPED in the last 6 months, to 1.9%, down from 2.7% at the start of the year. It's a significant drop in 6 months and the lowest it has been in one and a half years.

2) Linux usage has been "STABLE" worldwide. It is now at 3.07% on desktop, about where it was at the start of the year where it hit 2.93%. You can call that a "record", it would be more fair to call that 0.14% change a rounding error."

Another user comment from Tom's Hardware.

"Honestly though, the bigger news is that MacOS has now over 20%. At this rate of growth, Apple could begin to start looking like a Windows replacement in a relatively short time."

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I am sorry, but even if we are friends, I totally disagree with you on this. Linux is not anything close to being a Windows killer, and will not be in any foreseeable future. If anything is going to "kill" Windows, it's going to be Mac OS.

Linux Hits All-Time High of 3% of Desktop PC Share After 30 Years

"Currently, Windows commands 68.15% of the PC market share, MacOS occupies 21.38%, Chrome OS has 4.15%, and Linux is used on 3.08% of PCs. Around 3.24% of all systems run either FreeBSD or an unknown operating system, which are most likely either very new or very old versions of popular OSes."

View attachment 2250540
One of the comments at Tom's Hardware, where this article and OS stats come from.

"This is the typical fake news article I despise, where the article is technically correct, but incredibly manipulative and clickbaitey.

I pulled up the desktop data and added the percentages in an image. (0.04% was rounded down, 0.05% rounded up)

This is what the stats show.

1) Linux usage in the US has DROPPED in the last 6 months, to 1.9%, down from 2.7% at the start of the year. It's a significant drop in 6 months and the lowest it has been in one and a half years.

2) Linux usage has been "STABLE" worldwide. It is now at 3.07% on desktop, about where it was at the start of the year where it hit 2.93%. You can call that a "record", it would be more fair to call that 0.14% change a rounding error."

Another user comment from Tom's Hardware.

"Honestly though, the bigger news is that MacOS has now over 20%. At this rate of growth, Apple could begin to start looking like a Windows replacement in a relatively short time."
Fair enough that you disagree, but imo just because an OS has more users than another does not mean it is superior. For example i would never trade macOS for Windows. No way. MacOS is a way better OS.
Microsoft never actually made their OS, they stole code from Dos. They just made it look different, but the guts were Dos. That i do not support, and so i dont use Windows. Not to mention i dont support Bill Gates either, but not to make this a political (political debates online are useless, never-ending, and waste time). Recently though they make their own stuff, but now its just complete buggy spyware.
I completely think that macOS and Linux destroy Windows. There is no reason to use Windows except software compatibility sometimes.
Btw if youre talking about servers, Linux dominates there and is so good at that that even Microsoft uses Linux lol.
I also think of Chtome the same way. Chrome is spyware, trashes your computer, and is so heavy (chromeisbad.com) ! Why do people use it when you have Firefox, Safari, Vivaldi, Arc, Opera, Maxthon, etc.!
The main reasons Linux isnt so popular is not because its hard to use or a bad OS, but because of:
1. Youtubers tend to trash Linux and a lot of people have that be their view of Linux
2. Most people never heard of Linux because all they ever saw in school or heard of is Windows or macOS, but mainly Windows.
3. People think Linux is hard to use but never actually tried Mint/PopOS/Zorin and learned a little bit how to use it
4. Software compatibility
5.most computers these days come with Windows pre installed on them, and so that adds to the user numbers significantly, and not to mentiom Microsoft pays computer manufacturers to preinstall Windows, and people are too lazy/dont know how to replace it with another OS.

The list is not in an order of importance.
Basically, its not fair.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.