Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Fair enough that you disagree, but imo just because an OS has more users than another does not mean it is superior. For example i would never trade macOS for Windows. No way. MacOS is a way better OS.
Microsoft never actually made their OS, they stole code from Dos. They just made it look different, but the guts were Dos. That i do not support, and so i dont use Windows. Not to mention i dont support Bill Gates either, but not to make this a political (political debates online are useless, never-ending, and waste time). Recently though they make their own stuff, but now its just complete buggy spyware.
I completely think that macOS and Linux destroy Windows. There is no reason to use Windows except software compatibility sometimes.
Btw if youre talking about servers, Linux dominates there and is so good at that that even Microsoft uses Linux lol.
I also think of Chtome the same way. Chrome is spyware, trashes your computer, and is so heavy! Why do people use it when you have Firefox, Safari, Vivaldi, Arc, Opera, Maxthon, etc.!
The main reasons Linux isnt so popular is not because its hard to use or a bad OS, but because of:
1. Youtubers tend to trash Linux and a lot of people have that be their view of Linux
2. Most people never heard of Linux because all they ever saw in school or heard of is Windows or macOS, but mainly Windows.
3. People think Linux is hard to use but never actually tried Mint/PopOS/Zorin and learned a little bit how to use it
4. Software compatibility

The list is not in an order of importance.
Well, we do agree on one thing here. Mac OS is the OS that has the real potential of becoming the Windows killer. And, I do not support Bill Gates at all(he's a creep/criminal as far as I'm concerned), but been using Windows equally along side Mac OS for 30 years now and have never once had a virus, or had any more glitches or problems than I've had with Mac OS. I have no intentions of giving up either one of them anytime soon. I can make them both do things that the majority of computer users don't know they can do.

PS. On a side note, did you have any success at downloading the emoji folder? You can answer that in our PM.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Well, we do agree on one thing here. Mac OS is the OS that has the real potential of becoming the Windows killer. And, I do not support Bill Gates at all(he's a creep/criminal as far as I'm concerned), but been using Windows equally along side Mac OS for 30 years now and have never once had a virus, or had any more glitches or problems than I've had with Mac OS. I have no intentions of giving up either one of them anytime soon. I can make them both do things that the majority of computer users don't know they can do.

PS. On a side note, did you have any success at downloading the emoji folder? You can answer that in our PM.
Linux isn't really trying to be a Windows killer. It's just an alternative, and it's an alternative that has been growing rapidly thanks to having much better hardware support. It's not for everyone, and that's fine. I don't think the Linux community considers that a failure (some loud voices might, but the majority would be thrilled just to reach 5-10% market share.)

That being said, Linux's market share on the desktop grew by about 20% last year alone, so it's picking up steam. I have a feeling Microsoft's decision to kill hardware support for anything equipped with a CPU older than an 8th gen might have had something to do with that...

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: gusmula and hacky

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany

Yeah i dont/didnt want to make this politcal, but i do not support Bill Gates at all, and he's beyond sick, and one of humanity's worst criminals. Thats the main reason i dont use Windows, i do not use something or support something that Bill Gates owns, other than that it has tons of bugs and viruses always. MacOS has viruses but MUCH less than windows, and that is because the OS itself is very secure, because its based on Unix, which is much more secure than what Windows uses, and add to that Apple's security stuff and the OS is very secure, except that Apple spies on you lol.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Linux isn't really trying to be a Windows killer. It's just an alternative, and it's an alternative that has been growing rapidly thanks to having much better hardware support. It's not for everyone, and that's fine. I don't think the Linux community considers that a failure (some loud voices might, but the majority would be thrilled just to reach 5-10% market share.)

That being said, Linux's market share on the desktop grew by about 20% last year alone, so it's picking up steam. I have a feeling Microsoft's decision to kill hardware support for anything equipped with a CPU older than an 8th gen might have had something to do with that...
The reason is, PC users who dont want to use Windows or cant, dont have any other option except Linux. Sure, they can make a Hackintosh, but i dont think thats a very good idea.
And as you said, its not for everyone, but just because not as many people use it does not mean it isnt an EXCELLENT OS. Personally, i love being able to do almost everything from finding files to installing apps in the Terminal. Its so convenient. But of course its not for everyone. Zorin imo is the best macOS alternative, with a dock. Its soo clean, and works great, and there is a pefectly nice free version! For PC users who cant use macOS, its great.

Reactions: ArkSingularity

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
The reason is, PC users who dont want to use Windows or cant, dont have any other option except Linux. Sure, they can make a Hackintosh, but i dont think thats a very good idea.
Microsoft managed to annoy me enough to pretty much leave the entire ecosystem. My thinkpad is dual booted, but I spend about 98% of the time booted into Linux. On the rare occasions that I need to boot Windows (once every few weeks maybe), it spends so much time doing "antimalware service executable" tasks and Windows updates that the computer is rendered difficult to use with the fans roaring for the first 20-30 minutes.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010

I am not the one claiming Linux to be a Windows killer. And, according to the stats I found, Linux has actually lost market share in the US this past half year.

"Linux usage in the US has DROPPED in the last 6 months, to 1.9%, down from 2.7% at the start of the year. It's a significant drop in 6 months and the lowest it has been in one and a half years. Linux usage has been "STABLE" worldwide. It is now at 3.07% on desktop, about where it was at the start of the year where it hit 2.93%."

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Microsoft managed to annoy me enough to pretty much leave the entire ecosystem. My thinkpad is dual booted, but I spend about 98% of the time booted into Linux. On the rare occasions that I need to boot Windows (once every few weeks maybe), it spends so much time doing "antimalware service executable" tasks and Windows updates that the computer is rendered difficult to use with the fans roaring for the first 20-30 minutes.
For me its like this:
for Thinkpads PopOS or Mint, for Macbooks Mint or Zorin, and for desktops Mint, PopOS, Zorin or Arch. I personally really like Mint but Zorin is just a little better to me. Its so clean, yiu should try the core version. Ubuntu is good as well, but idk i just dont like it.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Market share in the US doesn't surprise me, but the United States is far from the only valuable market in the world. Linux Market share has been growing rapidly in some other areas of the world.

• Love
Reactions: hacky

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
This gives you a good idea: https://itsfoss.com/linux-better-than-windows/
A huge reason i love Linux over Windows is that its open source, so i know what ita doing, no funny stuff. Windows on the other hand, i have no idea what Gates is doing in my computer LOL

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
For me its like this:
for Thinkpads PopOS or Mint, for Macbooks Mint or Zorin, and for desktops Mint, PopOS, Zorin or Arch. I personally really like Mint but Zorin is just a little better to me. Its so clean, yiu should try the core version. Ubuntu is good as well, but idk i just dont like it.
I'm pretty happy with my Fedora system. I tried to install PopOS at one point, but the installer was bugged and it wouldn't install (probably was a one-off thing, but if even the installer can't figure out what's wrong, I didn't feel like taking my chances).

Mint is a really nice OS, I've used it for old systems I fixed up to give away. I would use it if I needed something a little more bare bones (simple and uncluttered), but I've gotten to the point where I really just don't care as much about distros as I did before. Most of them are pretty similar and can be made to have whatever you want.

Reactions: HawkTheHusky1902

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I'm pretty happy with my Fedora system. I tried to install PopOS at one point, but the installer was bugged and it wouldn't install (probably was a one-off thing, but if even the installer can't figure out what's wrong, I didn't feel like taking my chances).

Mint is a really nice OS, I've used it for old systems I fixed up to give away. I would use it if I needed something a little more bare bones, but I've gotten to the point where I really just don't care as much about distros as I did before. Most of them are pretty similar and can be made to have whatever you want.
I really love Mint as well. Its so complete and ready out of the box. Easy to use and great for Linux beginners. You should seriously try Zorin tho, its just as clean. Imo a really great thing about Linux is that its secure, and i can put it on a old machine and it works like new, camt do that with Windows! Itll trash the computer. For example my 15 year old 1gb ram thinkpad, works great with Mint!

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
I really love Mint as well. Its so complete and ready out of the box. Easy to use and great for Linux beginners. You should seriously try Zorin tho, its just as clean. Imo a really great thing about Linux is that its secure, and i can put it on a old machine and it works like new, camt do that with Windows! Itll trash the computer.
Eh Zorin isn't quite my thing. It does look like a pretty nice distro, I just don't really care quite as much about the out of the box polish as I did in the past. I usually end up customizing everything pretty heavily anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate to install something like Zorin for a Linux beginner or something of that sort. It's just not really my thing for a daily driver, I'd probably use Ubuntu instead if I were to go the Debian based route. That's just me, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to Linux.

Reactions: HawkTheHusky1902

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Eh Zorin isn't quite my thing. It does look like a pretty nice distro, I just don't really care quite as much about the out of the box polish as I did in the past. I usually end up customizing everything pretty heavily anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate to install something like Zorin for a Linux beginner or something of that sort. It's just not really my thing for a daily driver, I'd probably use Ubuntu instead if I were to go the Debian based route. That's just me, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to Linux.
Fair enough. For me Mint is the end all be all.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
This gives you a good idea: https://itsfoss.com/linux-better-than-windows/
A huge reason i love Linux over Windows is that its open source, so i know what ita doing, no funny stuff. Windows on the other hand, i have no idea what Gates is doing in my computer LOL
Well, it's a good thing Gates left Microsoft in 2008, and does not even have a place on the board anymore. I think Nadella has been doing a really nice job, and has made MS a better company.

"Gates, who founded Microsoft in 1975, stepped down as the company's CEO in 2000, saying he wanted to focus on his foundation. He left his full-time role at Microsoft in 2008. His seat as board director, which he left in March 2020, was the last position that officially linked him to the company."

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
You do know that you can easily disable the spying/tracking features in Windows 11?

How To Disable Windows 11's Tracking Features

How To Protect Your Privacy In Windows 11

You can also use Windows 11 with a local account without signing in with a Microsoft account.

How to Install Windows 11 Without a Microsoft Account

Can I Run Windows 11 Without a Microsoft Account
Ok, but you dont know whats going on under the hood. In Linux you know. They have tracking stuff that you dont know about.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
You do know that you can easily disable the spying/tracking features in Windows 11?

How To Disable Windows 11's Tracking Features

How To Protect Your Privacy In Windows 11

You can also use Windows 11 with a local account without signing in with a Microsoft account.

How to Install Windows 11 Without a Microsoft Account

Can I Run Windows 11 Without a Microsoft Account
Sometimes it gets tiring to constantly have to re-disable these privacy settings after they keep getting overwritten on an update. Also, Microsoft will bug you constantly to sign in with their cloud accounts if you use local accounts (I know, I've had to deal with this).

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Sometimes it gets tiring to constantly have to re-disable these privacy settings after they keep getting overwritten on an update. Also, Microsoft will bug you constantly to sign in with their cloud accounts if you use local accounts (I know, I've had to deal with this).
OH MY GOD i forgot about that! That is one of the biggest reasons i hate Windows, CONSTANT UNNECESARY FORCED UPDATES. Ugh. At least in macOS you can disable it, and in Linux kt doesnt happen at all. Ive seen that stuff happen to my father using Windows sometimes and its soooo annoying! Youre just watchimg something and then it just restarts and says 'updating' and you cant stop it. This happens after ignoring all those notifocations to update

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: gusmula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.