Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
It may be an excellent tablet(you know I would like one), but it ain't no iPad killer. Samsung and Google fans have been claiming the death of Apple is inevitable for well over a decade now, and low and behold...Apple's valuation just keeps going up. View attachment 2250673
I see you're using them again
shades.gif

• Haha
Reactions: bondr006

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
It may be an excellent tablet(you know I would like one), but it ain't no iPad killer. Samsung and Google fans have been claiming the death of Apple is inevitable for well over a decade now, and low and behold...Apple's valuation just keeps going up. View attachment 2250673

While the new Samsung tablets may not “kill” the iPad, it's encouraging to see investment towards viable alternatives being made. Google's effort in optimising their apps for foldable and tablet devices with the Pixel Fold is commendable (and 10 years late at the same time!)

The existing challenge with Android and other tablets is the absence of professional-grade apps such as Affinity and Procreate. The onus is on Google and Samsung to persuade these developers that it’s worth creating versions for Android.

I feel this also links to your observations about Linux. Popular software suites like Microsoft Office and Adobe CC are absent. No matter how well-designed an operating system is, if you don’t have the apps you require, it’s not going to meet your needs.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
While the new Samsung tablets may not “kill” the iPad, it's encouraging to see investment towards viable alternatives being made. Google's effort in optimising their apps for foldable and tablet devices with the Pixel Fold is commendable (and 10 years late at the same time!)

The existing challenge with Android and other tablets is the absence of professional-grade apps such as Affinity and Procreate. The onus is on Google and Samsung to persuade these developers that it’s worth creating versions for Android.

I feel this also links to your observations about Linux. Popular software suites like Microsoft Office and Adobe CC are absent. No matter how well-designed an operating system is, if you don’t have the apps you require, it’s not going to meet your needs.
Thats is a fair and true take. Its nice to see that if you want one of the best tablets that you dont have to buy Apple.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Well i didnt know that! Appears to be that the founders of Windows, macOS (steve jobs wasnt a saint either by any means, its why i dont really like supporting Apple even though they make great products, just like Linux), and Linux...i learned something new today thanks to y'all!
I also observe that the actual programmers, designers, and engineers behind these companies that make the OSes are actually quite smart ok people, unlike their bosses, who unfortunately get abused or belittled by their bosses a lot. The people behind the scenes are the ones who make the product(s) great, not the bosses usually. unfortunately the bosses are the ones that you see most and are credited for the products.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Well i didnt know that! Appears to be that the founders of Windows, macOS (steve jobs wasnt a saint either by any means, its why i dont really like supporting Apple even though they make great products, just like Linux), and Linux...i learned something new today thanks to y'all!
I also observe that the actual programmers, designers, and engineers behind these companies that make the OSes are actually quite smart ok people, unlike their bosses, who unfortunately get abused or belittled by their bosses a lot. The people behind the scenes are the ones who make the product(s) great, not the bosses usually. unfortunately the bosses are the ones that you see most and are credited for the products.
Yea, you don't have to look very far to find someone who isn't a saint. If we boycotted every person and every product that ever had someone with some moral failings involved in the chain, we'd be left to bartering and trading with our friends in the neighborhood because everyone else would have been boycotted into oblivion.

The world is complicated. We strive for the world we dream of, but survive the world we have.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I have a Pro license, I'm fully aware of how to pause the updates. I have done this, and Windows has auto updated anyway (at inconvenient times). I don't feel like going through the registry to fix that, it shouldn't be necessary.

At some point it just gets tiring. Nothing against Microsoft, I've just gotten to the point where Windows just isn't for me.
So, you are ok with a system where you have to use command lines, but a one time entry into the registry is just too much? I don't get any updates at all anymore except when I want them. Not only is Windows easy to work with, it is probably one of the most customizable OS's out there. I have not had one virus or any spyware in the 35+ years I have been using Windows or in 30 years of using Macs. I have had glitches to deal with in both systems, but that is the way of tech.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula and hacky

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
So, you are ok with a system where you have to use command lines, but a one time entry into the registry is just too much? I don't get any updates at all anymore except when I want them. Not only is Windows easy to work with, it is probably one of the most customizable OS's out there. I have not had one virus or any spyware in the 35+ years I have been using Windows or in 30 years of using Macs. I have had glitches to deal with in both systems, but that is the way of tech.
This sounds like you're trying to argue over preferences. I've stated mine and will leave it at that. :)

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Yea, you don't have to look very far to find someone who isn't a saint. If we boycotted every person and every product that ever had someone with some moral failings involved in the chain, we'd be left to bartering and trading with our friends in the neighborhood because everyone else would have been boycotted into oblivion.

The world is complicated. We strive for the world we dream of, but survive the world we have.
Thats very true, and unfortunately there are more bad people in the world than good ive found, even if they seem ok. Its only skin deep though.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Thats weird because in my school they use Windows on all their PCs and they constantly have Windows problems...like most of them are out of service because of it..CONSTANTLY. Even though the Pcs are in not that bad shape. My father as well uses Windows sometimes and when he does (and he is not stupid with computers, knows how to use Linux and has usee it for more than 30 years and was developing Linux in the 80s) he gets a bunch of errors and other stuff. Windows is just buggy and bloated, thats a fact, not opinion.
Also just for curiosity i asked my dad who created Linux and he said Bell Labs, not really Linus Torvald. So i'll look into that more..

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Thats very true, and unfortunately there are more bad people in the world than good ive found, even if they seem ok. Its only skin deep though.
There is plenty good out there in the world too. Sometimes you just have to peel back the layers of nuance, few things in life are black and white. Generally, you'll find that the ones shouting from the rooftops to tell you all about their virtue are the ones who have the most to hide.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
There is plenty good out there in the world too. Sometimes you just have to peel back the layers of nuance, few things in life are black and white. Generally, you'll find that the ones shouting from the rooftops to tell you all about their virtue are the ones who have the most to hide.
I know thats what i forgot to add. I know, there are a lot of good and bad people in the world. Unfortunately most of the bad is in charge now...

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Thats weird because in my school they use Windows on all their PCs and they constantly have Windows problems...like most of them are out of service because of it..CONSTANTLY. Even though the Pcs are in not that bad shape. My father as well uses Windows sometimes and when he does (and he is not stupid with computers, knows how to use Linux and has usee it for more than 30 years and was developing Linux in the 80s) he gets a bunch of errors and other stuff. Windows is just buggy and bloated, thats a fact, not opinion.
Also just for curiosity i asked my dad who created Linux and he said Bell Labs, not really Linus Torvald. So i'll look into that more..
I am guessing that is because there are so many students using those school computers that just don’t care what they do to them. Between pron and dark web, shared communal pc’s are an IT headache. I would hate to be IT at a college.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Bell labs created Unix. Linux was created by Linus Torvalds in the 1990s and was designed to be very Unix-like, so there is a lot of similarity. However, they are still different operating systems and have completely different "family trees" so to speak.

MacOS was actually based off of a very old version of BSD, which itself is a version of Unix. Unix's influence was very far-reaching in terms of the impacts it had on operating system history and development.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Bell labs created Unix. Linux was created by Linus Torvalds in the 1990s and was designed to be very Unix-like, so there is a lot of similarity. However, they are still different operating systems and have completely different "family trees" so to speak.

MacOS was actually based off of a very old version of BSD, which itself is a version of Unix. Unix's influence was very far-reaching in terms of the impacts it had on operating system history and development.
Thanks for the info! Finally i know...
Basically, Unix is the father of them all!
shades.gif

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
I am guessing that is because there are so many students using those school computers that just don’t care what they do to them. Between pron and dark web, shared communal pc’s are an IT headache. I would hate to be IT at a college.
Also, why are you liking all the comments and reply to all the threads i do lol! Its lile youre stalking or following me lol

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Also, why are you liking all the comments and reply to all the threads i do lol! Its lile youre stalking or following me lol
Well, I am part of this conversation, and if I see a comment I like, I‘m a gonna either like it or laugh at it. You are not the only one making comments that I am liking btw. As far as I know, besides our pm, this is the only thread I am participating in with you. If you’d prefer I don’t like your comments, I won’t any more. I feel that was kind of a strange comment for you to make. Is this a test?

Last edited:

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Well, I am part of this conversation, and if I see a comment I like, I‘m a gonna either like it or laugh at it. You are not the only one making comments that I am liking btw. As far as I know, besides our pm, this is the only thread I am participating in with you. If you’d prefer I don’t like your comments, I won’t any more. That was kind of a strange comment for you to make.
No i have no problem with it i just found it funny that we have the same taste in what we like and where we participate in
haha.gif

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
I learned plenty about Linux (achieved an RHCE in fact). But "learning" how to fix dependency hells caused by the package manager (or package maintainer for the software you're trying to update/install) is mostly a waste of time and not the type of learning anyone wants.
I see you talking about Linux dependency hell multiple times here. Honest question - in which cases did you experience it and on which distributions?

I'm managing thousands of Debian servers for more than 15 years now and in fact I never experienced dependency hell. And we don't even upgrade everything so often.

The last time I experienced dependency hell was at the start of my carreer on Gentoo when I left it too long without updates.

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
Consumer Linux has such a small market share that developers barely pay attention to it. Linux is more of a hobby thing in the consumer market. I asked all my friends, family, and colleagues...118 people all together in my personal sphere, and not one of them have even tried Linux. It is difficult, limited, and has mostly alternatives for mainstream apps/programs. Have tried many different distros through the years and I have not seen anything that remotely would make me want to switch over. I will gladly stick with Mac OS, Windows, and iPad OS. If I can't accomplish what I need to with those 3 OS's, I darn sure won't be able to accomplish what I need to with Linux, and I definitely don't need another useless hobby to waste my time on.
Linux just a hobby? Uh... And you worked in the IT? Really? I mean if you talk about desktop, then I agree with you. (except for steamOS)

But servers, embedded systems, routers, entertainment systems. All these runs Linux and these are products we all buy and use. Not just some hobby OS. You're completely wrong if you believe this.

Also Linux on servers outperforms Windows by far. That's a known fact. Seems absurd to even argue about this.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I learned plenty about Linux (achieved an RHCE in fact). But "learning" how to fix dependency hells caused by the package manager (or package maintainer for the software you're trying to update/install) is mostly a waste of time and not the type of learning anyone wants.

Yeah, embracing "current" can be absolute Hell; at times ;)

The synergy between all the packages (and package maintainers) is not always synergistically on-point. Heck: even bespoke 'compile-the-latest' formulae tend to break the connections.

It's amazing--to me--that any of this stuff actually brings us to any sort of productivity.

As for learning, any type of education is ok by me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.