Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I did a Software Update, but no new updates for Tiger. :(

Finder is a tad buggy.

mo0805

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2004
minneapolis, minnesota
Symtex said:
My PM G5 runs around 30-45% faster with Tiger. Before I was doubting that G5 were the fastest PC but with Tiger I start to believe that there is. Everything is so much smoother.

the reason your PM runs so fast it because the G5 is a 64bit processor, and Tiger is a 64bit operating system, whereas Jaguar is a 32bit operating system. Tiger can process twice the amount of math in the same amount of time, on a G5. Though even for my powerbook G4, it's a good deal quicker.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
mo0805 said:
the reason your PM runs so fast it because the G5 is a 64bit processor, and Tiger is a 64bit operating system, whereas Jaguar is a 32bit operating system. Tiger can process twice the amount of math in the same amount of time, on a G5. Though even for my powerbook G4, it's a good deal quicker.
What? 64-bit only means it's able to address more than 4 GB of memory. Unless you are saying Finder needs more than 4GB, 64-bit doesn't speed up Finder. It has to do with multithreaded optimizations and use of quartz extreme.

mo0805

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2004
minneapolis, minnesota
Lacero said:
What? 64-bit only means it's able to address more than 4 GB of memory. Unless you are saying Finder needs more than 4GB, 64-bit doesn't speed up Finder. It has to do with multithreaded optimizations and use of quartz extreme.

woops, you're right, sorry.

quote from apple.com:
"Tiger’s new 64-bit pointers enable individual processes to access massive amounts of virtual memory. The enhanced kernel, plus a 64-bit version of libSystem, let command-line programs, background daemons and network services directly manipulate up to 16 exabytes of virtual memory, more than four billion times the memory addressable by today’s 32-bit applications."

mo0805

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2004
minneapolis, minnesota
Lacero said:
I did a Software Update, but no new updates for Tiger. :(

Finder is a tad buggy.

finder isn't the only buggy thing. ichat av seems to quit every so often, and safari sometimes cannot open certain pages. i wonder when we can expect an update?

Applespider

macrumors G4
raggedjimmi said:
the problems started just after i installed Tiger, and a whole day of playing around with the settings and WEP, DNS, DHCP etc (i actually do know what im doing half of the time!)... my entire wireless network was brought to a stand still until I reverted back to Panther.

very glad. almost wasted £60 there. my plan now is to wait until 10.4.3 or something like that.
strange thing is my router is quite common apparently; BT Voyager 2100. hmmm.
take that people against testing!

Jimmi, did you factory reset your router and start from scratch? Did you pull your user settings over from Panther when you installed Tiger (upgrade, Archive & Install or Erase & Install)

The other thing is that the Voyager is common in the UK since many broadband ISPs give them away/provide them but perhaps not so much in the US. And Voyager modem/routers in general don't always play nicely with Macs; the plug-in USB one hasn't any any OS X drivers since 10.3.5!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Applespider said:
Jimmi, did you factory reset your router and start from scratch? Did you pull your user settings over from Panther when you installed Tiger (upgrade, Archive & Install or Erase & Install)

The other thing is that the Voyager is common in the UK since many broadband ISPs give them away/provide them but perhaps not so much in the US. And Voyager modem/routers in general don't always play nicely with Macs; the plug-in USB one hasn't any any OS X drivers since 10.3.5!

Well now ive made a partition on my FW drive where Tiger lies. I keep switching between Panther and Tiger only to find that Tiger somehow, i still dont know why, messes up the internet connection. not the actual network, i can still see all the other wireless and wired connections in the house. So Tiger messes the connection up, i run back into Panther and have to reset it to get an internet connection back again.

Come monday i'll take my PB and my router down to my local computer shop and see what they say. these guys installed the network in Manchester Airport, they probably have more clue than me!

Panther works perfect with it. Tiger does not. ho hum for me :(

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
cynikal said:
any detail of what the problem is? i'm not certain how an o/s can bring a wireless network down? just doesn't make sense to me (and i'm a techie too).. was there a signal? did you get an ip address? can you ping the gateway? can you do dns lookups (locally against the router and from your isp's cache server).. what exactly doesn't work?i wholeheartedly agree, apple should open up its beta test program without charging us an insane amount of money for individuals to test their o/s.. yes i know apple has a beta test program, but they only choose people for individual technologies, not o/s's.. having said that, you might want to report the bug to apple, if you have the nerve..

This is not quite related but in Panther on my Wifi router when any Mac had firewall on it would not show the computer name on the DHCP Clients list. On Tiger it would show, even in stealth mode...anyone know how to fix this problem?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Mr. G4 said:
This is not quite related but in Panther on my Wifi router when any Mac had firewall on it would not show the computer name on the DHCP Clients list. On Tiger it would show, even in stealth mode...anyone know how to fix this problem?
Wait, what's the problem? You don't want it to show? If that's the case, make sure your name is blank in the text box in the sharing panel of System Preferences. As per network standards, the hostname is supposed to be displayed so that you can identify computers on a DHCP network.

lokiboy666

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2005
Seeing similar problems with the tiger GM

A few things ive spotted here that are the same as wot im seeing. Of course this GM may not be what is shipped, we can only hope. Me myself have been testing to see what problems may occur before where i work decideds to upgrade.

So far ive had these problems which others seem to have come across

1. Interferance with Wireless Airports. - I noticed a major reduction in connection with airports. this may be responsable for the next problem.

2. Safari hangs - pages start to load quick but hangs and stops loading.

3. iChat disconnects randomly and without warning - sumtimes you could be discconected for 3 minutes and not know you hav. Tested it shows that this is not due to poor Airport connections.

Other than these points, applications run super fast but may trip over themselves sending them into a spinning wheel of death. This has happend so far with iMove, Quicktime, iPhoto, Mail and safari. Poser 6 crashes repeatedly. Photoshop works as strong as ever.

Also noticed a huge boost in 3d games paformance. In doom 3 , halo and wolfenstein.

Will be waiting to see if the final shipped version is the same one, and will be hopeing i can find a work around for this airport problem.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
some people just can't wait... :rolleyes:

but i suppose i can't complain really... because a year or two ago i would have been one of those people.
twisted.gif

Goliath

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2004
Maxiseller said:
You know, £80/$120 or so isn't bad for the core of a computer. I mean, it is pretty much the ONE thing everyone needs isn't it? Its the one thing that everything else you buy runs off no? Piracy in software is just like in music and so many other effected industries. If you do it, the company looses out. Now you may say, "Ahhh, they have billions of dollars" Yes - but How are they meant to go on designing, re-building and manufacturing if people don't invest in it. Such a cavalier attitude is just terrible in this day and age. We all complain that software is bad, but we rarely praise it when it's good. Its time people like you put some money back into the market that allows all of us (Especially the creatives) to do the jobs we do. Stop stealing. It's against the law.

I would like to disagree! I'm sick and tired of the usual line that is presented- by pirating our music/software/films every one in the industry loses outblah blah blah..... except the executives/ C.E.O's of course!

Bill Gates is worth how many billions, same is true of Steve Jobs....yet we're led to believe that by pirating software that the guys at the bottom lose out- which I guess is true BUT only because the guys at the top cream off so bloody much!!!

Face it- Paul McCartney is the richest man in pop- valued at over $1 Billion- fair enough he is one of music's most influential musicians producing some of the most memorable pop songs ever

So how is it that despite this his net woth is less than some of the top record executives fortunes?? What have they done for the world of music? Except by their greed made it so expensive to buy a CD of which the artist sees F*** all

Same goes for software- I'll concede that the move from OS9 to OSX was a great leap and worthy of the price for truly a great stable opperating system BUT can anyone truly say that the move to 10.2, 10.3 and now 10.4 is truly that innovative and worthy of the annual upgrade price of £89!!!!

As cool as some of the features have been they are just that- features! Nothing much new that deserves the price tag!

same with Photoshop, Flash etc...

Stop charging so much for what is basically just a few minor improvements and then you'll see a downward trend in people using P2P to avoid paying so much for so little!

END OF RANT!!!!

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
matticus008 said:
Wait, what's the problem? You don't want it to show? If that's the case, make sure your name is blank in the text box in the sharing panel of System Preferences. As per network standards, the hostname is supposed to be displayed so that you can identify computers on a DHCP network.

I don't want the name of the the computer to show up on the DHCP Clients list. In Panther when you have firewall on, it would only show a blank name and the IP address with the MAC address. I think in any 10.x when you put a blank name it will take the default name as Macintosh. I just don't want the host name to show up on the router.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Mr. G4 said:
I don't want the name of the the computer to show up on the DHCP Clients list. In Panther when you have firewall on, it would only show a blank name and the IP address with the MAC address. I think in any 10.x when you put a blank name it will take the default name as Macintosh. I just don't want the host name to show up on the router.

Hmm. Well, on both of my Macs, the hostname is displayed regardless of the firewall setting. Putting a blank name in the sharing box does not display the hostname on my router, nor does it show up on other Windows boxes. It does show up when browsed from the Finder of another Mac.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion, but I don't see why anyone would want to hide the hostname of their computers unless using a static IP setup. (EDIT: because the hostnames are only visible on your local network [unless they're servers or computers available on the internet] and you can't browse the 192.168.x.x locations from outside, so it's only a security risk internally--and it's your router and network, so it shouldn't be an issue)

F4Rid

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
i_am_a_cow said:
Tiger is definitely worth the $69 I'm about to buy it for. Although I am a bit worried because I carelessly sent apple my registration info before it officially came out (but it is shipping already, and I do plan on buying it tomorrow as soon as my parental family member OKs the transaction)

I don't think Apple will go after the people who downloaded it and in your case registered it, I would think they are after the people who stole it and posted it online.

charlien5

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2004
can i buy in united states with mac mini by credit card

raggedjimmi said:
i want to know how Apple can sell Tiger in the US for $129 (£67) and the exact same thing costs £88 in the UK. £21 more.

fairplay the UK student discounted Tiger costs around £60, but how much less will the US one cost?

if i could pay the US student price for Tiger, i would buy it right now. but because its about £20 more i have to think more about it, and if i really need it

and get american friend to bring it to me when he comes to uk - would there be a problem getting applecare if i paid for it in the states but used it in uk? or would there be any other problems like tax problems going through uk customs or connection problems with uk power supply?

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Tiger & Wireless

I haven't had any problems with my wireless connection. In fact, I've found that since installling 10.4 the connection status is reaching full or near full bars. Computer hasn't disconnected once.

I've also found Safari to be much faster. So much so that I've stopped using firefox and camino. However, it does have trouble reading some pages.

The whole QT issue sucks though. I accidently - being to eager to install 10.4, and not noticing the warning - overwrote my 6.5 pro.I found a workaround though and 6.5 is back!

charlien5

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2004
install from external harddrive???

F/reW/re said:
It's rather easy..

How to install from Harddrive:
1. Start /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app.
2. Select second harddrive/partition. 3. Click Restore.
4. Drag file to Source.
5. Drag ur partition to destination. Erase Destination is NOT necessary
6. Click the Restore button.
7. Goto Finder and rename your Destination-drive to Mac OS X Install DVD Change startup disk to Mac OS X Install DVD. Reboot.

i have two questions (sorry i am new and nervous about losing data)

1. i have an ext hardrive with about 1 gig of important data on it. if i drag the disk image onto "source" will the external harddrive i "restore" lose all my important data - or is there a way to use this disk utilities technique and still keep my data on the ext. hard drive. i want to be able to keep using the ext harddrive for this data - is this not possible?

2. once i have rebooted can i then always reboot without the ext. harddrive or will it be necessary to always restart with the ext. harddrive plugged in?

sorry but i really don't have a clue here...
would really appreciate any help
thanks
charlie

gfer

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Buenos Aires, Argentina
SoGood said:
1. Most softwares are priced for the developed countries where the average income is markedly higher. And most softwares don't have a 3rd world country discount.

It's worst than don't having a 3rd world country discount. Software is more expensive in Latin America than in the US. In Argentina, Tiger's price is $165 ($149 + 10.5% tax).

An average salary in the publishing industry -where most argentinian Mac users work- is about $400-500.

Strangely, music CDs do have this discount. You can buy a newly released album at $10.

**All prices are in American Dollars, not Argentinian Pesos (both use the "$" symbol)**

bs73112

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2005
Tiger and the Voyager 2100

raggedjimmi said:
Panther works perfect with it. Tiger does not. ho hum for me :(

What I have noticed since I've installed Tiger is that my BT Voyager 2100 forgets its DNS connection. I login wusing the local web interface and have the voyager then restart itself. Then it works fine for about 15 to 20 minutes and then locks up again. In the voyager I go to the trouble shoot time tab and run diags. It seems to be just DNS. I can still do tracert and ping to IP addresses, just anything that uses DNS will fail. I'm not sure if this is Tiger related I've just noticed it since Tiger has been installed. I have a laptop and a peecee and they have the same simptoms, so it seems to be voyaage 2100 related, but just the timing has me wonder if Tiger is doing "something".

Any ideas?
:confused:

Update on this -- I finally found out it was that IPv6 was turned on on my Mac -- it was the IPv6 broadcast that was killing the router.

Last edited:

haganah

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
If you downloaded it

I guess I'm a bit naive, but if you downloaded this how would you install it??

Would you have to burn it onto a DVD first or do you just run it off of the hard drive?

If you have to burn it onto a DVD, I would think it wouldn't be as much of a problem, right?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
haganah said:
I guess I'm a bit naive, but if you downloaded this how would you install it??

Would you have to burn it onto a DVD first or do you just run it off of the hard drive?

If you have to burn it onto a DVD, I would think it wouldn't be as much of a problem, right?
Piracy tech support is available at 1-800-MY-APPLE or on the web at http://www.apple.com/support

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.