Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
F/reW/re said:
OS 9 aint that old! Windows 2000 kicks OS 9's ass!! and it still work like a charm! Sometimes even better than XP :rolleyes:

Yeh but how many computer that you buy nowadays that you can install OS9 on it...None. While as for 2000 you can install it on any new clone box you want, beside there are still a lot of business that never upgraded to XP. Are you sure you can install the latest IE on 2000?

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Gimzotoy said:
Yea, I saw the file there on the disc he showed me. He had said that it was just an installer for the extra SDKs, not the program itself. Maybe he was wrong, I don't know. Have you installed it? That would give us even more of a reason to make fun!

If he is the a developper he should already have it. I think it's the same as the first one that came out at the WWDC 2004. Just use that DVD to install it.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
F/reW/re said:
Dashboard..I don't like it What's up with that rippleeffect!!? It takes freakin 3 sec before i can use the widget beause of some stupid effect! :mad:

That happen only when you add new gadget to the set that you have already open, not every time you invoke Dashboard.

F/reW/re said:
Spotlight? no thanks, i know where my files are!

May be you do, but do you know what they all contain?

cable

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2005
Some of you people are big babies when it comes to the issue of pirating.

I believe that if a person downloads something illegally, enjoys it and uses it, he should buy it...

ILLEGAL is just a term they throw at you because it is not authorized by them...If the program was shareware it'd be the same thing...

I look at downloading like shareware, I try, I buy...

what I don't think is fair is companies not giving you samples, or text drives before you purchase something...why should the public make blind purchases?

why should I buy an album if I like one song? I'd like to hear if the rest of it is appealing or has replay value and if not, I'll take that free sample you send out to radio and mtv and whatnot...

regardless, if you don't like the program don't use it...

if you download something illegally and use it with no intent of paying for it, that is wrong IMO...

I wouldn't buy a car based on the commercial or magazine I saw it in without test driving it first, why should buying anything for that matter be like that?

yeah I know it's a 50,000 difference, but it's fundamentals...some of these companies are asking a bit much...

mo0805

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2004
minneapolis, minnesota
Stella said:
For those who have tiger...

How much faster, if any, is tiger than panther?

thanks.

tiger seems to run quite a bit faster than jag. the graphics are always what seemed slow on jaguar, and with tiger they are no problem.

dashboard runs great, also. it doesnt really use any of the processor except for that moment when it pops up.

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
mo0805 said:
tiger seems to run quite a bit faster than jag. the graphics are always what seemed slow on jaguar, and with tiger they are no problem.

dashboard runs great, also. it doesnt really use any of the processor except for that moment when it pops up.

My PM G5 runs around 30-45% faster with Tiger. Before I was doubting that G5 were the fastest PC but with Tiger I start to believe that there is. Everything is so much smoother.

kd0tc0m

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2005
DC
You can't even install Tiger unless you have a DVD burner to get the file off your HD, right? My buddy was trying to install it but I told him to stay away and wait the bloody 7 days.

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
cable said:
I wouldn't buy a car based on the commercial or magazine I saw it in without test driving it first, why should buying anything for that matter be like that?
But you wouldn't expect the car dealer to drop it off at your house and let you drive off with it though? There'd be no guarantee they'd get it back.
If you want to 'test drive' Tiger, you can go to an Apple Store/reseller.

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
On another note, can you guys stop private messagine me to give you a link to download Tiger. I will not give it to you. period

sandsl

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
kd0tc0m said:
You can't even install Tiger unless you have a DVD burner to get the file off your HD, right? My buddy was trying to install it but I told him to stay away and wait the bloody 7 days.
Wrong. Its perfectly possible to install downloaded copies of tiger without a dvd burner; providing you have another hard drive, partition or ipod.

I haven't downloaded Tiger because filesharing is a no-no on campus. Having said that, I might have downloaded it if I could - knowing full well that my legal copy will arrive at my door in a few days.

kd0tc0m

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2005
DC
sandsl said:
Wrong. Its perfectly possible to install downloaded copies of tiger without a dvd burner; providing you have another hard drive, partition or ipod.

iPod? What the heck? How would you accomplish that? You can't just throw the files onto the iPod and expect Tiger to restart and look at the iPod for the files?

I'm just going to tell my friend to delete it and wait for the DVD. He found out today he has a ship date of the 26th anyways.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
kd0tc0m said:
iPod? What the heck? How would you accomplish that? You can't just throw the files onto the iPod and expect Tiger to restart and look at the iPod for the files?

I'm just going to tell my friend to delete it and wait for the DVD. He found out today he has a ship date of the 26th anyways.
It's rather easy..

How to install from Harddrive:
1. Start /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app.
2. Select second harddrive/partition. 3. Click Restore.
4. Drag file to Source.
5. Drag ur partition to destination. Erase Destination is NOT necessary
6. Click the Restore button.
7. Goto Finder and rename your Destination-drive to Mac OS X Install DVD Change startup disk to Mac OS X Install DVD. Reboot.

kromatic

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2005
daveL said:
You probably mounted the DVD image before you burned it. My past experience with OS X is that a *bootable* disk image cannot be mounted, prior to burning. I usually lock the image, then burn it. YMMV.

tried locking the image then burning with toast it, still the same problem, i give up! guess i will have to wait for tiger to arrive next week, hopefully i wont have the problem when burning other images in da future

firebox

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
Jersey UK (Not New Jersey)
turning over a new cyberleaf?

i don't know if this is of interest to anyone but i starting using macs about 2 years ago or so, at first for music production, evolving the sound of a band that i had been in for almost 5 years, then (about a week later using ebay :) never used a PC again for anything....! this was a remakable turn aroud in itself coming from someone who had built his first PC at 9 and as a network engineers in a telecoms firm for 5 years was an avid Devilboy Gates worshipper. but literally within a week or so i never looked back. from the things we are now capable of doing with our music, using apps like Digital Performer and ableton, to turning around my view of the internet from a d*ckhead filled - virus ridden - boring chore to integrating it in to almost everything i do daily, both with music and otherwise.

.... anyway the point i originally intended to make was that, i NEVER paid for software on the PC, pretty much because it would never live up to your expectations anyway, but also because that it didn't seem to matter because it was so easy and everyone else was doing it. not really a very good reason. As for Windows, deep down,i new it was cr@p, the only real step they ever took was to win95.

now for some reason i haven't even been tempted to install a bent copy of tiger, i definalety made sure i read all about how to do it... but never did, and i'm not sure why ??

Maybe Apple computers made such a BIG difference in almost everything i do, that sub-conciously i'd really rather pay for it, and everything else (admittedly with the exception of very expensive music stuff, in which case i will have a play before i shell out a grand on it!) and reap the rewards from the future releases that were all realistically funding. because in reality this is the way it works.

cheers, sorry about the typos :)

cynikal

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
there's only one week left..

did you guys get the dashboard address book to actually look up people in ldap? the standalone app works fine, but i thought someone got it to work in dashboard, i cannot..

tiger seems more snappy(tm) than panther, boot up time has improved a bit.. i think they're doing something similar to what solaris 10 is doing with smf, parallelizing programs while starting up. it's a rather simple concept, i wonder why no one's done this before.. and all applications seem to load faster.. i will say it once again, you GOT TO love an o/s upgrade [path] where each release is faster than the last one (unlike another certain o/s that for some illogical reason has 90% market that happens to have the exact opposite behaviour).

as far as dvd-only install, not true, apple has themselves made available an offer so that for $10 they will ship you the cd versions, if you turn in your dvd of course. (look for the media exchange program). of course this is rather silly, why not offer a cd version in stores in the first place? I'm sure the CD version will find its way to the trackers soon, so will it still be considered pirating if you bought the retail dvd but didn't pay apple the $10 and downloaded the CD version from dubious sources?

on another note, i just remembered that apple has a bugreport page available.. i reported the two issues i've found there.. specifically the proxy authentication broken and the dual display zoom bug.

one more bug i found, the keyboard shortcuts to switch tabs (cmd+shift+left/right arrow) don't seem to work while your focus is in a text input field.. oddly enough, it doesn't do anything while press the keys (it'd be another story if they changed the functionality of the keys).

apheleon

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2005
kromatic said:
tried locking the image then burning with toast it, still the same problem, i give up! guess i will have to wait for tiger to arrive next week, hopefully i wont have the problem when burning other images in da future
i had this problem. make sure you burn the dmg using DISK UTILITY. if you are using an external dvd drive, get PatchBurn in order to enable disk utility to see the drive. I wasted 5 discs trying to figure this out.

cynikal

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
apheleon said:
i had this problem. make sure you burn the dmg using DISK UTILITY. if you are using an external dvd drive, get PatchBurn in order to enable disk utility to see the drive. I wasted 5 discs trying to figure this out.

in case you haven't caught on.. if you mounted an image unlocked, then the image is screwed up.. locking that same image later and re-mounting it won't fix the screwed up image.. only thing to do is to trash it and re-download it..

kromatic

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2005
apheleon said:

thats funny, cuz i wasted the same amount of dvds, i tried ur solution, and finally got tiger installed, thanks for ur help

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It's stealing I tells ya!
yesitis_noitisnt.gif

:D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
hah, frankly i am feeling VERY happy i downloaded and tested Tiger first. while it is blisteringly faster, and how good spotlight and dashboard are... Tiger is incompatable with my wireless router.

the problems started just after i installed Tiger, and a whole day of playing around with the settings and WEP, DNS, DHCP etc (i actually do know what im doing half of the time!)... my entire wireless network was brought to a stand still until I reverted back to Panther.

very glad. almost wasted £60 there. my plan now is to wait until 10.4.3 or something like that.
strange thing is my router is quite common apparently; BT Voyager 2100. hmmm.
take that people against testing!

cynikal

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
raggedjimmi said:
... Tiger is incompatable with my wireless router.

the problems started just after i installed Tiger, and a whole day of playing around with the settings and WEP, DNS, DHCP etc (i actually do know what im doing half of the time!)... my entire wireless network was brought to a stand still until I reverted back to Panther.
any detail of what the problem is? i'm not certain how an o/s can bring a wireless network down? just doesn't make sense to me (and i'm a techie too).. was there a signal? did you get an ip address? can you ping the gateway? can you do dns lookups (locally against the router and from your isp's cache server).. what exactly doesn't work?
raggedjimmi said:
take that people against testing!
i wholeheartedly agree, apple should open up its beta test program without charging us an insane amount of money for individuals to test their o/s.. yes i know apple has a beta test program, but they only choose people for individual technologies, not o/s's.. having said that, you might want to report the bug to apple, if you have the nerve..

i_am_a_cow

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2001
Wow!

Tiger is definitely worth the $69 I'm about to buy it for. Although I am a bit worried because I carelessly sent apple my registration info before it officially came out (but it is shipping already, and I do plan on buying it tomorrow as soon as my parental family member OKs the transaction)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.