Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Funny how many of the shocked angry bashers here were the same defending “poor Huawei “ (basically a Chinese state company) on other threads ...
Haters gonna hate.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I hope this means we can expect an end to Tim’s virtue signaling now that he’s ousted as a complete hypocrite.

Who am I kidding? Tim can’t help himself and his virtue signaling hypocrisy like the whole far left.

Last edited:

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Let’s be clear, they are not traditional cops, or even an American swat team, they are foot soldiers. Tim Cook is allowing the murder of innocent civilians.

Tim Cook is NOT allowing the murder of innocent civilians. The Chinese government is, and it is being allowed by US foreign policy... Tim Cook is not an elected official, and Apple does not speak or enact policy on behalf of anyone.

This anger is misplaced. We should be marching on DC demanding a ban on Chinese (or US manufactured in China) products. This is how you resolve human rights violations.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Well done Tim for following the mantra of not meddling in foreign domestic politics, per US Congress and public opinion demands. Good there's no hypocrisy here!

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Whichever way you put it: the reason Hong Kong / Chinese authorities pressured Apple to remove the app was because it was helping the protestors in their fight against repression. Whether or not it was actually used to ambush police is beyond the point. I'm sure there are many other apps that violate similarly vague guidelines yet this is the one that gets removed because of government pressure.

Reactions: 5105973

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
"Apple had received "credible information" from Hong Kong police that the app was being used to target individuals for violence."

Sooo, Chinese government told you to take it down! Good job. Enjoy the money that you get from oppressing the people.

Last edited:

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I don’t quite understand the uproar. Apple didn’t develop the app and have no duty to sell or distribute anything. There is no censorship component.

If China told Ford to stop selling cars with seatbelts or catalytic converters because it was against their laws, Ford would do so. It would be a political issue within China but that isn’t Ford’s concern.

Reactions: citysnaps

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Business exec making a business call. Bit of a no-win situation for Cook.
It IS a business call. And that’s what Tim Cook should have said in his internal memo. He flat out lies about the app breaking any local laws. The app in and of itself doesn’t break any laws. It is used to break laws perhaps but any social media posting could end up accomplishing something similar.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don’t quite understand the uproar. Apple didn’t develop the app and have no duty to sell or distribute anything. There is no censorship component.

If China told Ford to stop selling cars with seatbelts or catalytic converters because it was against their laws, Ford would do so. It would be a political issue within China but that isn’t Ford’s concern.
If Cook said Apple cared about nothing but the bottom line you might be right. But Cook is constantly talking about human rights and social justice. So if you‘re going to talk the talk then walk the walk.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So it’s true the protestors are protesting legally. The government is acting responsibly and tech is not being used to aid in violence. /s

If it’s true that Apple Maps is being used as an aid for violence, I can understand him pulling it.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
tcook.jpg

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
What is sad is the last couple days China has been pumping a **** ton of money into these companies playing ball with their government. Apple, Disney, activision, have all had their stock price balloon. Truly ****ing disgusting.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Not really a Tim Cook decision. China rules with a firm grip, even on their special districts. They would not take No for an answer. Yes, he could have said No, not like saying no in the US or the EU, no court to appeal too. The problem Not Tim Cook, China. I put the blame where it belongs.

Reactions: citysnaps

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
How can Apple be neutral when the product itself (iOS) is not democratic and resembles, in many ways, a walled society.

Again, if the App Store wasn't the only source for apps, Apple could genuinely remain nuetral when its products are tools in social conflicts.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I trust Apple to do the right thing. The decision is justifiable and what a responsible platform owner should be doing.

I trust Google has done the same thing? If not, it's another knock against Android from me.
Apple has all their eggs in one basket, the one made in china. Apple is forced to do what china wants or else inspectors will start heading toward the factories making iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.