Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Example: I can want a poor person to rise up and have a better life. It doesn't make me a hypocrite if I don't just give that person all of my possessions.
Let’s be honest with ourselves - that’s not what’s going on.
[automerge]1570827899[/automerge]
American ideals are human ideals.
If I had to guess, you would be one of those who bashes this country where possible because it is not perfect. No country is, but it is the most perfect.
They are freakin Communists for F's sake!
No. I’m one of those people who know the world isn’t black and white. I know America isn’t perfect so I’m not pretending it is. Hard to believe other people want non American policies, I know big guy.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
We will allow free speech only if we agree with them. -Almost everyone from California

"We don't recognize the right for others to criticize the things I say".

it's almost like you also don't believe in the freedom of speech you're so trying to defend here.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
“Doing the right thing” is moving all Apple manufacturing out of the PRC. Cook could announce the time schedule tomorrow. What are the chances?

He "Could" but seeing that it is a publicly traded company it would be the last thing he does before being fired.

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
He "Could" but seeing that it is a publicly traded company it would be the last thing he does before being fired.
But he could sleep like a man you did the right thing. Decisions like that show what kind of man you are everything else is politics and why the world is so ****ed up and upside down.

Reactions: RogerWilco

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Apple as a company is not responsible for setting foreign policies. Apple is a company, and does what is best for the company. China is where the products are made, they have the largest population in the world (India is closing in very quickly), if they aren't allowed to sell their products in China it will be a big hit for the company.

This is a discussion for US foreign policy/leadership. It is THEIR responsibility to address human rights violations in China, not a private company. If US leadership wants to take a stand and prevent US products from being sold in China due to human rights violations and Apple continues to sell its products then we have room to criticize Apple.

If Apple or it's employees (Tim Cook is an employee), want to take part in parade, or come out against anything that is up to them. If they want to make an app available or unavailable in the app store that is up to them.

If Apples actions led to US citizens getting injured/killed, could you imagine how that would play? We do have US citizens living and working in China. We can't have Apple taking a stand (keeping the app in the store) at the possible expense of US citizens over there.

Tim Cook is not just an employee of Apple. He is a CEO and gigantic share holder who vests hundreds of millions based on AAPL valuations. He collected over $120m this year alone. If AAPL stock prices remain the same as they are right now, he will collect about double that next year. There’s a difference between executive leadership at the top whose compensation packages are tied directly to performance versus a “Genius” telling someone yes or no they will not fix the iPhone under warranty or recall repair.

There’s a difference between, a large shareholder and an employee who makes no decisions about corporate strategy and direction. Tim Apple is all about AAPL - we now know his real agenda will always be AAPL and NOT Apple Corporation.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
If the Hong Kong violent protest marches were happening in the US or UK, Apple would of pulled the app and would be expected to. Tim did the right thing here. Its simple and obvious.

FairlyKors

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
Staines, East London
I can call him a left of center CEO if that makes you feel better or more comfortable.

It's a fact.

But when he kowtows to a murderous communist regime, I think pejorative is appropriate.
[automerge]1570792196[/automerge]

I am right of center. And if you think pointing out his hypocrisy is "paying too much attention," then perhaps it's because you'd rather look away.

Hypocrisy might be humanity’s most defining trait. To hold a strong opinion on anything involving the behavior of others is to instantly inhabit a state of hypocrisy.

It is very clear why Apple (more so than Cook) did what it did. The huge amounts of money involved did the speaking here. The obsession with blaming one person—like we do with presidents—seems a bit strange. Who knows what Cook *really* thought about this decision. It seems to me as if he has a soul, so I’m sure this didn’t make him happy.

Also, if you could calculate the *actual* profits at risk and the *actual* negative impact of removing this app, my guess is that the most rational, ethical hypothetical entity in existence might’ve acted just like Apple did. Change of the sort being discussed in Hong Kong occurs slowly and over time. To risk access to possibly the world’s biggest market (and thus the ability to wield any kind of future influence)—simply over the removal of this app—likely doesn’t make sense from a broad, longterm ethical perspective either.

But I have to agree. As this appears, in black-and-white, in this very moment, it does look like an instance of trading the moral high ground for profit. (But just how high are we setting the bar? Let’s not pretend to be ignorant of what goes on in daily business dealings in America either.)

Reactions: cote32mt

FairlyKors

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
Staines, East London
According to the authoritarian HK police who wanted the app removed in the first place. The apps are identical. They do the same exact thing. Waze can be used to target police too. Apple bowed to Chinese pressure. Plain and simple.

It’s a sad day for Apple. I’ve been an Apple fan my entire life since my first Apple II. I’ve been a member of this forum for 12 years. This is the first time in my life I’ve vowed to not spend another dollar with Apple. I had been planning to upgrade my phone and was thinking of subscribing to both their TV and Arcade service. Now I’m going to cancel my Apple Music subscription in favor of Spotify. I really hope Apple reverses course. This is sad.

This is an interesting statement if your commitment and perspective are both as wide as you portray them to be. The transition sounds a bit painful, but I have a lot of respect for people who truly put their money and time where their mouth is. It’s not easy to do. (Like investing your money ethically.)

At least you’ll be upgrading your music platform. I’ve used all of them and prefer Spotify by a wide margin.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Hypocrisy might be humanity’s most defining trait. To hold a strong opinion on anything involving the behavior of others is to instantly inhabit a state of hypocrisy.

It is very clear why Apple (more so than Cook) did what it did. The huge amounts of money involved did the speaking here. The obsession with blaming one person—like we do with presidents—seems a bit strange. Who knows what Cook *really* thought about this decision. It seems to me as if he has a soul, so I’m sure this didn’t make him happy.

Also, if you could calculate the *actual* profits at risk and the *actual* negative impact of removing this app, my guess is that the most rational, ethical hypothetical entity in existence might’ve acted just like Apple did. Change of the sort being discussed in Hong Kong occurs slowly and over time. To risk access to possibly the world’s biggest market (and thus the ability to wield any kind of future influence)—simply over the removal of this app—likely doesn’t make sense from a broad, longterm ethical perspective either.

But I have to agree. As this appears, in black-and-white, in this very moment, it does look like an instance of trading the moral high ground for profit. (But just how high are we setting the bar? Let’s not pretend to be ignorant of what goes on in daily business dealings in America either.)
Do you really think China would have shut itself off to Apple over this app? Really?
Apple is so scared and so full of (rhymes with spit) it can’t even be bothered to at least TEST the Chinese government (at least not that we are aware of at any rate).

Grow a sack Timmy.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
“Doing the right thing” is moving all Apple manufacturing out of the PRC. Cook could announce the time schedule tomorrow. What are the chances?

Zero. Chinese manufacturing infrastructure was developed over many years and with substantial assistance from the Chinese government. The level of turn-on-a-dime manufacturing infrastructure Apple requires employing several hundred thousand people simply does not exist in the United States.

There are options that are being explored, such as India. But I doubt they're set up to crank out Apple's daily needs between 600,000 and 900,000 iPhones, on average.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Do you really think China would have shut itself off to Apple over this app? Really?
Apple is so scared and so full of (rhymes with spit) it can’t even be bothered to at least TEST the Chinese government (at least not that we are aware of at any rate).

Grow a sack Timmy.

You seem to have in-depth knowledge of the Chinese government and the business dynamics in play. Why not write a letter to Mr. Cook and offer him some advice on how to test the Chinese government?

Reactions: I7guy

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Apple's equation for making decisions is simple:
Which decision will make them the most money long term. That's it. They have never made a certain decision because it was the "right" thing to do, and they never will. It's not evil, it's just business.

And there's hypocrisy on both sides, always will be.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Zero. Chinese manufacturing infrastructure was developed over many years and with substantial assistance from the Chinese government. The level of turn-on-a-dime manufacturing infrastructure Apple requires employing several hundred thousand people simply does not exist in the United States.

There are options that are being explored, such as India. But I doubt they're set up to crank out Apple's daily needs between 600,000 and 900,000 iPhones, on average.
Yes that’s true, and it would take time and cost money to move the manufacturing elsewhere. But simply announcing the decision to move would rock the Chinese government because there is no replacement for Apple in their economy. Tim Cook is just not willing to walk the walk and play hardball.

Reactions: Huck and Heineken

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Yes that’s true, and it would take time and cost money to move the manufacturing elsewhere. But simply announcing the decision to move would rock the Chinese government because there is no replacement for Apple in their economy. Tim Cook is just not willing to walk the walk and play hardball.

It would take many years and substantial government subsidies to develop the turn-on-a-dime manufacturing infrastructure required by Apple (600K - 900K iPhones/day), on average. The threat of moving might raise eyebrows, but it would be stupid to bluff without a path to the required infrastructure. There are plenty of other tech (and other) foreign companies that keep China's economy humming.

"Tim Cook is just not willing to walk the walk and play hardball."

Are there any other US CEOs who advocate on behalf of Chinese citizens, playing hardball against the Chinese government? Listing a few names would be nice.

Tim Cook, however, rightfully advocates on behalf of US citizens, against the US government with respect to matters concerning Apple.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
While I haven’t abandoned Apple entirely, I am betting huge against AAPL, and I didn’t buy the iPhone 11. Coming from the XS Max, I had always upgraded and sometimes downgraded - trying to get my life switched over to the Note 10 Plus, but it’s difficult. I want the 16.4” MacBook Pro coming out and a new iPad. But I ordered a Razer laptop instead and am sticking with the old iPad.

Trying to reduce my dependence on a company with which I dislike the direction its leadership has taken with products and politics. I would very much like to be China-free as in free from its products, and I think corporate leaders are the only ones capable of shifting manufacturing and shouldn’t just shift to other countries but ensure they’re free countries. Not every country is perfect but there’s no reason to build another communist dictatorship by building all products in Vietnam next. Select India, or any country that has ability to elect own government by the people and freedom of speech and all other things many of us get to enjoy.

Having traveled much of the world, I really see that American consumerism has paid for the modern infrastructure and cities of China on the backs of Chinese citizens who have been bullied by their own government and basically enslaved by the likes of companies from the West like Apple. Don’t go throw all of your Apple products away. Buy them less often and demand better from not just Apple leadership but all of the world’s leaders.
To be “China free” would involve throwing out many of the consumer electronics and not driving or taking public transportation.

I have no plans for changing my purchase habits, but I wish you luck with yours.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
To be “China free” would involve throwing out many of the consumer electronics and not driving or taking public transportation.

I have no plans for changing my purchase habits, but I wish you luck with yours.
Go back and read what I wrote. I specifically state that only corporate leaders can move manufacturing and production outside of China. I also stated that I am trying to reduce my dependence on any one company such as Apple. And, I don’t agree with throwing any electronics out and never said such. As we buy new products, I think we should try to reduce dependence on China. Even if leaders like Tom Cook will not do it, and tariffs don’t work, we have some say. We don’t have to throw out anything or boycott any one company, but we should try to improve ourselves and the world around us a little bit. Kaizen way - small improvements. Eliminate total dependence on Apple is possible. Eliminate all Chinese goods, possible but would require most to go “off grid.” So total dependence is something I am talking about. I still think Apple makes the best iPad, but I am done buying one annually. I have switched from crappy Mac keyboards to a new computer. I am reducing dependence on the ecosystem that is Apple, but I love my AirPods. The total reliance on one company for all technology we buy is just as dumb as Apple is for allowing much of its reliance on China as it leads to Apple being held hostage. Just as we sheep feel hostage for Apple’s at times ridiculous prices.

Reactions: H2SO4 and Grey Area

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Go back and read what I wrote. I specifically state that only corporate leaders can move manufacturing and production outside of China. I also stated that I am trying to reduce my dependence on any one company such as Apple. And, I don’t agree with throwing any electronics out and never said such. As we buy new products, I think we should try to reduce dependence on China. Even if leaders like Tom Cook will not do it, and tariffs don’t work, we have some say. We don’t have to throw out anything or boycott any one company, but we should try to improve ourselves and the world around us a little bit. Kaizen way - small improvements. Eliminate total dependence on Apple is possible. Eliminate all Chinese goods, possible but would require most to go “off grid.” So total dependence is something I am talking about. I still think Apple makes the best iPad, but I am done buying one annually. I have switched from crappy Mac keyboards to a new computer. I am reducing dependence on the ecosystem that is Apple, but I love my AirPods. The total reliance on one company for all technology we buy is just as dumb as Apple is for allowing much of its reliance on China as it leads to Apple being held hostage. Just as we sheep feel hostage for Apple’s at times ridiculous prices.
I have no dependence on any one company. Apple is part of an overall tech solution in my house and I have no plans to reduce my acquisitions of Apple products. I believe it’s one of the better companies out there and they try to do the right thing.

Everybody should do what they feel comfortable with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.