Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Don't expect a lot of UI changes in iOS 8. Apple will focus on refining performance, speed and reliability. Notification Center may be changed a little.
We'll also see a health and fitness app for iWatch.

----------

and you know this how???

He doesn't know. You think we'll see a lot of major UI changes in iOS 8? No, just no. Just refining performance and reliability.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Don't expect a lot of UI changes in iOS 8. Apple will focus on refining performance, speed and reliability. Notification Center may be changed a little.

----------

He doesn't know. You think we'll see a lot of major UI changes in iOS 8? No, just no. Just refining performance and reliability.

Anything can happen ;)

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
It can but it won't. iOS 8 will be visually different to iOS 7.

The UI in iOS was unfinished when it was revealed and remained mostly incomplete in the public releases of 7.0 and 7.1.

True, we may not get a full redesign for another few versions (hopefully not too many like before) but we will definitely see a more realized and refined look to what Jony and his team.

I understand that 7 was rushed but with 8, there's no excuses anymore and that's why I think that iOS 8 will bring a lot of polish and tweaking of the UI. This goes especially for the iPad version of iOS because 7 wasn't fully optimized for the iPad due to the rushed development.

Finally, the last thing Apple needs to hear is that they've let the design of iOS go stale again.

Last edited:

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Also worth readying ourselves for a flood of "I'm sticking with ios 7" "iOS 7 was perfect" Etc. Having previously had a whole year of people complaining about ios 7.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
The UI in iOS was unfinished when it was revealed and remained mostly incomplete in the prolix releases of 7.0 and 7.1.

True, we may not get a full redesign for another few versions (hopefully not too many like before) but we will definitely see a more realized and refined look to what Jony and his team.

I understand that 7 was rushed but with 8, there's no excuses anymore and that's why I think that iOS 8 will bring a lot of polish and tweaking of the UI. This goes especially for the iPad version of iOS because 7 wasn't fully optimized for the iPad due to the rushed development.

Finally, the last thing Apple needs to hear is that they've let the design of iOS go stale again.

Yes, that's what I originally meant. iOS 8 won't be drastically different to iOS 7. Yeah, sure, we'll see minor improvements.

And I agree, iOS 8 needs to be amazing. iOS 7 was rushed and 7.1 (we all know this) is what iOS 7 should have been.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's gonna be just like iOS 7 with a few improvements ad new features. Just like iOS 2-6 improved each version but looked almost the same. I don't understand why people think it'll be totally different, just look at iOS 2-6, they all looked nearly identical.
Chances are it will be similar to what changed between iOS 5 and iOS 6, although it would be nice if some more larger features would be part of it as well.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Yes, that's what I originally meant. iOS 8 won't be drastically different to iOS 7. Yeah, sure, we'll see minor improvements.

And I agree, iOS 8 needs to be amazing. iOS 7 was rushed and 7.1 (we all know this) is what iOS 7 should have been.

My simple requests for iOS 8:

A redesigned music app but with the same functionalities of iOS 6.

The icons. Yes, they still need work and they need to all be relatively consistent with each other, the icon designs are all over the place in 7. The icon designs for the iWork and iLife apps are an improvement as is the rest of the downloadable Apple apps. The downloadable app icons have a more consistent and harmonious feel to them and I'd like to see that applied to the stock home screen icons.

Buttons. One of the biggest examples of minimalism going too far was the removal of button borders and clearly identified touch targets. I know 7.1 has this as a basic accessibility tweak but if like to see it be refined and part of the actual UI.

Less white within apps! Have light grey navigation bars to better contrast with the app content. Have more dark themed apps as well. Use less colors, they look kinda tacky.

Basic UI customizations such as having either a flat dock or 3D dock, signal dots or signal bars, etc.
The phone app design was fine in 7.0 was fine the way it was and 7.1 tried to fix what wasn't broken. Plus, the tiny circular call/end buttons and the lack of full screen caller ID would look out of place on a larger display iPhone 6.

Feature-wise, the usual requests of quick-reply, improved Siri and maps, etc.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I expect it to be similar to Snow Leopard. :)

Exactly. Under the hood upgrades, etc, etc. I expect iOS 7-9 to look the same, and then with iOS X we'll see a major upgrade.

If iPhone OS 1-iOS 6 looked the same, I would expect at least the next few would look like iOS 7.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
My simple requests for iOS 8:

A redesigned music app but with the same functionalities of iOS 6.

The icons. Yes, they still need work and they need to all be relatively consistent with each other, the icon designs are all over the place in 7. The icon designs for the iWork and iLife apps are an improvement as is the rest of the downloadable Apple apps. The downloadable app icons have a more consistent and harmonious feel to them and I'd like to see that applied to the stock home screen icons.

Buttons. One of the biggest examples of minimalism going too far was the removal of button borders and clearly identified touch targets. I know 7.1 has this as a basic accessibility tweak but if like to see it be refined and part of the actual UI.

Less white within apps! Have light grey navigation bars to better contrast with the app content. Have more dark themed apps as well. Use less colors, they look kinda tacky.

Basic UI customizations such as having either a flat dock or 3D dock, signal dots or signal bars, etc.
The phone app design was fine in 7.0 was fine the way it was and 7.1 tried to fix what wasn't broken. Plus, the tiny circular call/end buttons and the lack of full screen caller ID would look out of place on a larger display iPhone 6.

Feature-wise, the usual requests of quick-reply, improved Siri and maps, etc.

Agree with everything there! Add Quick-Reply and I'd be very happy, they need to do this, it's the most talked about feature that isn't in iOS.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Here is a timeline:

- Apple announces iOS 8
- People complain
- Graphic designers with no jobs or names proclaim how they could have done better.
- Beta comes out
- Threads with "how do I register a UDID" start popping up everywhere
- Non-developers that frequent these forums install iOS 8.
- Complaints about battery life
- Complaints about how Apple doesn't know what they're doing
- Beta 2 comes out
- Repeat above
- Beta 3 comes out
- repeat above.

iOS 8 goes Gold
- The masses accept it
- The people here who don't have much going on in their lives begin to look for bugs in workflows that no one would ever use.

I'm ready!

You forgot to mention the thread "iOS 8: All the little things"

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

----------

Maybe, but with rumored new form factors, I hope there will be more UI options and changes to exploit the new hardware.

----------

Here is a timeline:

- Apple announces iOS 8
- People complain
- Graphic designers with no jobs or names proclaim how they could have done better.
- Beta comes out
- Beta 2 comes out
- Repeat above
- Beta 3 comes out
- repeat above.

iOS 8 goes Gold
- The masses accept it
- The people here who don't have much going on in their lives begin to look for bugs in workflows that no one would ever use.

I'm ready!

Forgot the step for the early adopters of i0S 8 that don't have any issues and don't flood the forums about their good fortune.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Here is a timeline:

- Apple announces iOS 8
- People complain
- Beta comes out
- Beta 2 comes out
- Repeat above
- Beta 3 comes out
- repeat above.

iOS 8 goes Gold
- The masses accept it

I'm ready!

You forgot "non-developers flood the forums complaining about sluggishness and random resprings"

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Here is a timeline:

- Apple announces iOS 8
- People complain
- Beta comes out
- Beta 2 comes out
- Repeat above
- Beta 3 comes out
- repeat above.

iOS 8 goes Gold
- The masses accept it

I'm ready!

so so spot on! "- Graphic designers with no jobs or names proclaim how they could have done better." hahah

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't expect significant changes until iOS 10. That will be written from the ground up for 64 bit I believe.

Until iOS 7.1 I found 64 bit devices having questionable stability while 32 bit worked well ( even on 7.0.x).

Therefore I predict and like mentioned iOS 8 be a modified iOS 7 variant with new features mostly available to the devices they are shipped on.

Personally I'm pretty excited to see where Apple goes with this. Graphically I good give two ***** however functionality I think is where we will start see strides. Mobile tech is and has bridged the gap of performance so Apple has no excuse to hold back for user performance sake.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Two months until iOS 8 reveal!

And btw this is just my theory so grain of salt.

The 5S is a massive performance jump but not well utilized quite yet.

So when iOS 10 rolls out all updated devices will have awesome specs and the sky will be the limit for native and 3rd party apps.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I don't know how comfortable Apple is when they are struggling to keep ahead of the competition. They are quite happy when they are able to leapfrog the competition, as with the iPhone. But now that Samsung has roughly caught up, they are unable to shift and give larger screens to the public, something that is a painfully obvious omission from their product line. If the rumors are true that only the 4.7" model is coming out in September, this is too little, too late. The 5.5" model should be released tomorrow, if not sooner. I know I would buy one--my contract isn't up until September--and I'm quite sure I wouldn't be alone.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
:rolleyes:

And control center.
And the notification center.
And the weather app.
And the lock screen.
And the app switcher.
And the camera.
And...

And control center. iOS 7
And the notification center. iOS 5
And the weather app. iPhone OS 1.0
And the lock screen. iPhone OS 1.0
And the app switcher. iOS 4
And the camera. iPhone OS 1.0

Only one of those things is actually new, redesigns don't count as that was already covered in the post you quoted. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.