Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Here is a timeline:

- Apple announces iOS 8
- People complain
- Graphic designers with no jobs or names proclaim how they could have done better.
- Beta comes out
- Threads with "how do I register a UDID" start popping up everywhere
- Non-developers that frequent these forums install iOS 8.
- Complaints about battery life
- Complaints about how Apple doesn't know what they're doing
- Apple defenders claim that it is beta to shut down the whining
- Beta 2 comes out
- Repeat above
- Beta 3 comes out
- repeat above.

iOS 8 goes Gold
- The masses accept it
- The people here who don't have much going on in their lives begin to look for bugs in workflows that no one would ever use.
- Apple defenders tell the complainers that they should've spoken up during the betas.
- Apple defenders tell the whiners that no software is bug-free.

I'm ready!
You forgot the lines in bold. I added them for you. :p

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't know how comfortable Apple is when they are struggling to keep ahead of the competition. They are quite happy when they are able to leapfrog the competition, as with the iPhone. But now that Samsung has roughly caught up, they are unable to shift and give larger screens to the public, something that is a painfully obvious omission from their product line. If the rumors are true that only the 4.7" model is coming out in September, this is too little, too late. The 5.5" model should be released tomorrow, if not sooner. I know I would buy one--my contract isn't up until September--and I'm quite sure I wouldn't be alone.

Is this all your personal opinion on the matter? Because statistics like below tell another story.

8849-246-Screen-Shot-2014-04-03-at-105024-PM-l.png

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I'm not sure it will be iOS 8. They introduced iOS 7.1 on their homepage more prominently than they usually do for a .1 update. Once the Mac OS got to 7, the difference between .1 updates became more significant. I could see them having a iOS 7.5 announcement. I would have more respect for that, actually.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
If this is intended to prove that Apple iPhone sales wouldn't increase with the release of a 5.5" model, then you are sadly mistaken.;)

Your statement says Apple is struggling to keep ahead of the competition. According to the stats I just posted that is not even remotely the case.

If Apple does release a 5.5" iPhone (which I seriously doubt they will) it will most certainly capture a percentage of the market in which consumers prefer larger screens.

Don't get me wrong I would love a 5.5" screen but there is always going to be the opposite person that says "I like my iphone the way it is I don't want larger"

----------

You forgot the lines in bold. I added them for you. :p

The funny part is the lines you added hurt the whiner's cause more than the defenders. Was this your intent?

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Your statement says Apple is struggling to keep ahead of the competition. According to the stats I just posted that is not even remotely the case.

If Apple does release a 5.5" iPhone (which I seriously doubt they will) it will most certainly capture a percentage of the market in which consumers prefer larger screens.

Don't get me wrong I would love a 5.5" screen but there is always going to be the opposite person that says "I like my iphone the way it is I don't want larger"

----------

The funny part is the lines you added hurt the whiner's cause more than the defenders. Was this your intent?

I didn't write the "whiner's cause," so if you want to engage in a debate with me, don't bring in extraneous material.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I didn't write the "whiner's cause," so if you want to engage in a debate with me, don't bring in extraneous material.

Re-read Post #55. I quoted 2 people. You and the Sracer. The whiners part of the reply is in response to him. yours is before that.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I am pretty happy with 7.1 so anything in iOS 8 will be icing on the cake for me. Theres not too many things I can think off the top of my head that I NEED. Sure, it would be nice to have better inter-app sharing like Android, to have Siri work with apps, to have the ability to set third party apps as defaults, etc. but I don't see any of that coming in iOS 8. I foresee a lot of fine tuning of what is already in iOS 7.1 and a couple unknown features or services such as Healthbook. I would really love it if they made some big updates to the music app.

I am more interested in seeing if Apple has anything to show about the long rumored iWatch or an SDK for the Apple TV.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Re-read Post #55. I quoted 2 people. You and the Sracer. The whiners part of the reply is in response to him. yours is before that.

I do not deny that Apple is doing well in terms of sales with their current products. However, do you deny that a 5.5" iPhone would increase Apple's iPhone sales? If so, then we will have to agree to disagree.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Here is a timeline:

- Apple announces iOS 8
- People complain
- Graphic designers with no jobs or names proclaim how they could have done better.
- Beta comes out
- Threads with "how do I register a UDID" start popping up everywhere
- Non-developers that frequent these forums install iOS 8.
- Complaints about battery life
- Complaints about how Apple doesn't know what they're doing
- Beta 2 comes out
- Repeat above
- Beta 3 comes out
- repeat above.

iOS 8 goes Gold
- The masses accept it
- The people here who don't have much going on in their lives begin to look for bugs in workflows that no one would ever use.

I'm ready!

You forgot one other thing.... 'Steve Jobs would never have allowed this'!!!!

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
I really hope that jony and his design team actually design the default app icons this time around instead of the marketing department. The ios 7 icons complement the 5c more than anything because of the color schemes but if the 5c is to be discontinued as predicted, they will need to tweak the color palette and icons to flow better with whatever the iPhone 6 looks like. In 7.1, they toned down the saturation on the icons for FaceTime, phone and messages but don't stop there.

The safari icon is easily the most hideous of all the defaul icons. Followed by photos, camera, Game Center, settings, music, contacts, calendar, notes, reminders, voice memos, and calculator. The icons that have white in them are probably the ugliest.

The icons for the App Store, iTunes Store, FaceTime, messages, phone, maps, mail, clock, videos, etc. look better than the others but all those icons need are minor modifications and gradient tweaks. There needs to be a sense of consistency and that's what continues to irk me about ios 7. I thought ive was all about consistency, perfection and the smallest details.

The marketing department only designed the icons in 7 because it was being rushed but now ive and his team have had a full year to polish and refine the icons and the rest of the UI so they have no excuses this time if they let the icon designs go stale.

----------

You forgot one other thing.... 'Steve Jobs would never have allowed this'!!!!

He definitely wouldn't have allowed ios 7 to be released the way it was let alone the design of it.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure it will be iOS 8. They introduced iOS 7.1 on their homepage more prominently than they usually do for a .1 update. Once the Mac OS got to 7, the difference between .1 updates became more significant. I could see them having a iOS 7.5 announcement. I would have more respect for that, actually.

It will be ios 8.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I do not deny that Apple is doing well in terms of sales with their current products. However, do you deny that a 5.5" iPhone would increase Apple's iPhone sales? If so, then we will have to agree to disagree.

The real question is would Apple make the iPhone available in 4", 4.7" and 5.5"? I just don't see Apple doing this. If they settled on the 5.5" (which they won't) they would alienate the user base it has now that actually like the 3.5" to 4.0" size.

Then theres that whole theory of "its comfortable to hold in the hand". A 5.5" size phone can't be comfortable to hold in one hand. My Evo 4G from 2009 was only 4.3" and it was awkward to hold.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
The real question is would Apple make the iPhone available in 4", 4.7" and 5.5"? I just don't see Apple doing this. If they settled on the 5.5" (which they won't) they would alienate the user base it has now that actually like the 3.5" to 4.0" size.

Then theres that whole theory of "its comfortable to hold in the hand". A 5.5" size phone can't be comfortable to hold in one hand. My Evo 4G from 2009 was only 4.3" and it was awkward to hold.

This may make sense to you, for whom hand comfort is paramount. But there are those of us who would would gladly give up hand comfort for a larger screen. If Apple doesn't begin to compete with samsung with a phablet, I fear a repeat of the windows 95 debacle when an inferior product was deemed "good enough" by consumers and Apple suffered greatly (see the early 90s). It is already worrying that on tv shows and movies that mobiles phones other than those of Apple are being featured. This type of word of mouth advertising has been Apple's bread and butter and they have squandered this due to their inability/unwillingness to come out with a phablet.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
This may make sense to you, for whom hand comfort is paramount. But there are those of us who would would gladly give up hand comfort for a larger screen. If Apple doesn't begin to compete with samsung with a phablet, I fear a repeat of the windows 95 debacle when an inferior product was deemed "good enough" by consumers and Apple suffered greatly (see the early 90s). It is already worrying that on tv shows and movies that mobiles phones other than those of Apple are being featured. This type of word of mouth advertising has been Apple's bread and butter and they have squandered this due to their inability/unwillingness to come out with a phablet.

If a 5.5" iPhone 6 is introduced this year you bet I'll be in line to buy one. I just don't see Apple doing it. Apple doesn't react to the market, they march to the beat of their own drum.

Personally, I was quite shocked to hear that the 5C was only a $100.00 less than the 5S and here we were speculating that Apple wanted to enter the mid range market with a cheaper iPhone to penetrate markets like China and India because they needed to. They did no such thing.

What we as the average consumer thinks Apple should do comes nowhere close to what they end up deciding to do. Heck, every year people make this outrageous guesses as to what the new iPhone would feature and they fall short.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Since I heard rumors about notification center being revamped, I think the twitter and Facebook options need to return and a "tap to iMessage" in addition (a la mavericks). The weather and stocks need to have the same layout as ios 6 because it's very cluttered in 7. Basically the ios 6 notification center with the design of ios 7 and that would be pretty good IMO.

I don't think Game Center necessarily needs to be removed, it needs a complete overhaul and be rethought. The bubbles interface and app icon does not convey the feeling of Game Center very well. While the previous ios versions had a better metaphor, they took the design too far. Xbox live has been one of Microsoft's strongest areas and apple should take inspiration there in overhauling Game Center. It has potential, but right now, it feels useless.

Of all the stock apps, music definitely got the short end of the stick, I assume most of the effort there was geared towards the iTunes Radio feature, but the standard music playing functionalities took a big hit. But I hope the rumors of splitting iTunes Radio from the music app are true because it will give apple the ability to rework the default music player. With that being said, I hope to see the return of selectable/collapsable albums under artists in the artist view. Get rid of the unnecessary artist thumbnails there. I would love to see the now playing screen be redone to resemble how it is in the remote app. I would love to see cover flow return in landscape mode and I think it would work well with parallax (a la safari tabs on iPhone). That pink and white UI is also very tacky, I hope they fix that. If apple still cares about music, they should repair this app because it's very broken.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
And the camera.

While it did receive some new API support (e.g., separate focus regions), it's still waaaaaaay inferior to that of Android / Windows Phone. Heck, even the now-dead Symbian and Bada offered far more manual controls than iOS...

----------

Is this all your personal opinion on the matter? Because statistics like below tell another story.

Sales numbers don't necessarily reflect technical superiority. In this case, much more like simplicity and ease-to-use.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Osx for ipad and osxg for iPhone...

Apple need to do something to overshadow others offerings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.