Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
You must optimize apps to iOS 7 by Feb. 1: Apple tells developers - hence, the IOS 7 UI isn't going anywhere and nor should it. :cool:

I don't mind the actual iOS 7 UI template as it has a good foundation but those icons need a lot of work, the buttons need to be tweaked and many of the app interfaces are too damn white but these are things that easily can be refined and reworked without having to completely overhaul iOS.

The icons are so inconsistent it's crazy; light-dark gradients, dark-light gradients, no gradients it still looks messy and unprofessional. That's why you don't let the marketing team design icons and hopefully Jony and his team will take over from now on.

There should be more dark-themed apps and the light-themed apps should use more light grays for better contrast. In the light apps, the color text/buttons on white look so tacky but it they could change them to a dark gray or black, it would look much more elegant. The apps that have dark themes have white text/buttons on translucent black and it looks classy.

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't mind the actual iOS 7 UI template as it has a good foundation but those icons need a lot of work, the buttons need to be tweaked and many of the app interfaces are too damn white but these are things that easily can be refined and reworked without having to completely overhaul iOS.

The icons are so inconsistent it's crazy; light-dark gradients, dark-light gradients, no gradients it still looks messy and professional. That's why you don't let the marketing team design icons and hopefully Jony and his team will take over from now on.

There should be more dark-themed apps and the light-themed apps should use more light grays for better contrast. In the light apps, the color text/buttons on white look so tacky but it they could change them to a dark gray or black, it would look much more elegant. The apps that have dark themes have white text/buttons on translucent black and it looks classy.

What do you mean messy and professional?

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
What do you mean messy and professional?

I meant messy and unprofessional. The icons have no consistency or sense of harmony in the design. I know they all use the grid template but the designs themselves are taking multiple differentiating directions and they should just stick with one.

With the icons for the iLife and iWork apps as well as the other downloadable Apple apps, they have made substantial progress in those designs (I assume they were designed by the app designers) compared to the default icons. They are clean, simple, colorful and seem to have a more constant design language and they look more Apple-y to me.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I meant messy and unprofessional. The icons have no consistency or sense of harmony in the design. I know they all use the grid template but the designs themselves are taking multiple differentiating directions and they should just stick with one.

With the icons for the iLife and iWork apps as well as the other downloadable Apple apps, they have made substantial progress in those designs (I assume they were designed by the app designers) compared to the default icons. They are clean, simple, colorful and seem to have a more constant design language and they look more Apple-y to me.

You're right, the non stock Apple icons look better than the stock ones do.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What's your point?

How many of those who upgraded to 7.x did so because of the SSL bug in 6.x and weren't allowed to upgrade to the fixed version of 6?

How many of those who upgraded to 7.x did so because they wanted to reclaim nearly 2GB of storage taken up by the 7.x installer?

How many of those who upgraded to 7.x would go back to 6.x if Apple gave them a choice?

What's your point? Did no other OS in history have reasons for users to upgrade?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What's your point? Did no other OS in history have reasons for users to upgrade?
My point is that those 3 reasons I posted were not "positive" reasons for upgrading. I was responding to the implication that an 80% adoption rate is "proof" that iOS 7 was a desirable one for the 80%. That's not the case.

Let's just say that 80% adoption rate means that 80% of devices capable of upgrading to iOS 7 did so. It doesn't say anything more than that.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Ability for apps to talk to each other

This is likely (read: hopefully) the major change coming to iOS 8.

This would lead to:

Sending an image from any app, to any app
(this includes communications apps, photo editing apps, social media apps, etc)

Sending audio from any app to any app
(opening an MP3 from your email in the music app, anyone?)

Sending addresses to any app
(one word: Waze)

Opening links in any app
(instead of Safari, Chrome. Or even paper).

And the list goes on and on. This would be a nice step forward from the way we're using our phones today.

To those who will tell me we can already to this, we can't. Not unless a develop builds the functionality into their own app themselves. The only reason picframe can send photos to Instagram is because they wrote the app to do so. With native ability to "open in..." you'd be able so send that same message to: mail, mailbox, gmail, messages, facebook messenger, facebook, paper, iphoto, adobe photoshop express, or anything else in the app store that can open images from your camera roll.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
My point is that those 3 reasons I posted were not "positive" reasons for upgrading. I was responding to the implication that an 80% adoption rate is "proof" that iOS 7 was a desirable one for the 80%. That's not the case.

Let's just say that 80% adoption rate means that 80% of devices capable of upgrading to iOS 7 did so. It doesn't say anything more than that.

Sure it does. Look at any other OS. The better versions get adopted more than the poorly reviewed versions. This isn't a big controversy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure it does. Look at any other OS. The better versions get adopted more than the poorly reviewed versions. This isn't a big controversy.
Is that why there are so many people on the latest and greatest version of Android, or actually so many people still on Windows XP?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Is that why there are so many people on the latest and greatest version of Android, or actually so many people still on Windows XP?

Did you bother to look at the statistics before asking this question? How do their adoption rates compare to other versions of the same OS? How does their distribution differ?

The reason I'm comparing iOS 7 to iOS 6 is because their distribution methods are practically the same.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Did you bother to look at the statistics before asking this question? How do their adoption rates compare to other versions of the same OS?
Clearly the latest version of Android which is considered to be the best has a much lower adoption rate so far compared to older and this not as good versions. And XP is certainly not as good as Windows 7 yet still has many many users on it.

The numbers or percentages of people using some version aren't necessarily/always tied to that version being the best or the worst or necessarily good or bad, there are quite a few other variables in play.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Clearly the latest version of Android which is considered to be the best has a much lower adoption rate so far compared to older and this not as good versions. And XP is certainly not as good as Windows 7 yet still has many many users on it.

Clearly? Where are your statistics? What was the adoption rate for the previous versions of Android 6 months after release? How do the reviews compare? How widely is the latest version being distributed on new devices?

The numbers or percentages of people using some version aren't necessarily/always tied to that version being the best or the worst or necessarily good or bad, there are quite a few other variables in play.

Again, that's true when you are speaking in general or across different OS. But there isn't much difference in those variables between iOS 6 and iOS 7.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

To upgrade iOS is free, to upgrade your windows OS it's what about $100 for each version? Android upgrades are spotty, some phone get them depending on the carrier and/or the handset, their numbers mean nothing.

I am agreeing with BaldiMac here, you're comparing Apples and Oranges.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To upgrade iOS is free, to upgrade your windows OS it's what about $100 for each version? Android upgrades are spotty, some phone get them depending on the carrier and/or the handset, their numbers mean nothing.

I am agreeing with BaldiMac here, you're comparing Apples and Oranges.
There you go, as I have been pointing out, many other things in play aside from what might be good or bad.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
There you go, as I have been pointing out, many other things in play aside from what might be good or bad.

And, as I have been pointing out and you continue to ignore, these "many other things" are minimal when you are comparing iOS 7 to iOS 6.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

Not really. When an update to an OS is readily available and free, the adoption rate will vary depending on how stable it is and the improvements. There is nothing stopping anybody from upgrading except a few minutes of their time and an internet connection. You will always find some people that won't upgrade because they are happy with what they have, you will always get some that will jump the gun every time. The majority of the people will upgrade based on what they hear about the upgrade. Either based off of new features or what they have heard from beta releases. I fall in the latter.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Not really. When an update to an OS is readily available and free, the adoption rate will vary depending on how stable it is and the improvements. There is nothing stopping anybody from upgrading except a few minutes of their time and an internet connection. You will always find some people that won't upgrade because they are happy with what they have, you will always get some that will jump the gun every time. The majority of the people will upgrade based on what they hear about the upgrade. Either based off of new features or what they have heard from beta releases. I fall in the latter.

The majority of people do not read any reviews before they update iOS. They upgrade because they see the indicator that there is an update. Apple could have removed features and done nothing else and the new iOS would be the most downloaded in short order because it is free, easily accessible and they expect it to be better.

Most people are not going to stay on the old OS even if the new one is buggy. They want to have the latest and they want to use the new advertised features. I didnt care that iOS 7 was rumored to be more buggy than iOS 6 or it looked weird. I figure I will just deal with it and want to have the latest version. Also, I want to be able to use all of the latest apps and I dont know how long it will be before some apps are only targeted at the latest OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.