Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You don't have to "read" a review. People talk, usually when a new update comes out there are several people I know that start asking about the update. Wanting to know if I updated yet and why or why not.
Not so much when it comes to the typical majority of iOS users who don't even know there's an update until they are prompted to update and don't know much about it or have the time or care or even really that much understanding to go and look into it before just updating when an update shows up. Sure, that's not how it should work, but that's the reality nonetheless.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Not so much when it comes to the typical majority of iOS users who don't even know there's an update until they are prompted to update and don't know much about it or have the time or care or even really that much understanding to go and look into it before just updating when an update shows up. Sure, that's not how it should work, but that's the reality nonetheless.

Do you have a source?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am guessing my source is as good as yours. I just tried to sprinkle a little common sense on it.
What I mentioned actually seems to carry a whole lot of common sense to it all as it's more of an accepted general reality than simply anecdotal personal experiences that were brought up earlier in the claim that I was replying to.

That said, a very recent article with information from Apple directly sheds quite a bit of light on the type of things I mentioned which are quite widely understood and accepted in the industry: https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/04/apple-designs-iphone-for-normal-people/.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What I mentioned actually seems to carry a whole lot of common sense to it all as it's more of an accepted general reality than simply anecdotal personal experiences that were brought up earlier in the claim that I was replying to.

That said, a very recent article with information from Apple directly sheds quite a bit of light on the type of things I mentioned which are quite widely understood and accepted in the industry: https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/04/apple-designs-iphone-for-normal-people/.

Again, there is ample evidence that poorly perceived versions of other OS have lower adoption rates. Where is your evidence that iOS is different? How would "common sense" tell you that through anything but baseless speculation?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I just hope they fix the battery problem that has been around for some from iOS1 -iOS7.1 and all the point releases in between. I mean after 47+ updates the battery has gotten worse with each update apparently and it would seem folks would have to carry around a generator now to even use the device. :eek:

[Couldnt resist that one]

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

I would have to agree with C DM on this one. While I am in IT all the other people I am surrounded by (friends, family and acquaintances) have no clue from one iOS to the next. They see a red dot indicating that there is an update of some sort and press it. Plain and simple. Source? Well again common since and personal experience. Typically only tech heads read reviews or research or whatever general users do not. They simply use their device and press the update button when they see one.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I would have to agree with C DM on this one. While I am in IT all the other people I am surrounded by (friends, family and acquaintances) have no clue from one iOS to the next. They see a red dot indicating that there is an update of some sort and press it. Plain and simple. Source? Well again common since and personal experience. Typically only tech heads read reviews or research or whatever general users do not. They simply use their device and press the update button when they see one.

That logic applies for the first week or two. :)

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I agree many people will update if they seen an update available, simple as that. But I also know a lot of users, who aren't tech savvy, can treat updates with caution or suspicion.

You really do get many users who don't care about the updates. The badge doesn't bother them! Then you get people who are cautious about it, even if they've heard nothing about.

But importantly, people who don't really follow tech news still hear about negative stuff in more mainstream press and through word of mouth - many people surprised me during Maps fiasco with iOS 6 by not upgrading, even though they definitely don't follow sites like MacRumours :p

So yes, as people interested in IT, you expect many users to blindly update, but don't think everyone is so dumb they're oblivious to bad press or don't have a cautious approach to updates in general.

initwithnibname

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
Here you go kids; iOS 8 - now, no more complaining about the colours:

Attachments

• iOS8.PNG
    iOS8.PNG
    942.7 KB · Views: 169
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.