Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Why are folks still getting butt hurt over the icons. They aren't that important compared to the app working as being in the app is where you use the device.

If people would stop thinking and acting like the icons are the almighty you'd get used to them and they would matter anymore

Agreed. All I care about is how an app works when you launch it, not the icons that you see for a split second after you unlock your phone. And I don't even think they look that bad to be honest.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Just read a post that Apple didn't announced the keynote yet.. Last year they announced it 3 weeks earlier and now only 2 weeks are left :rolleyes:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am waiting for the new version. Hope it can give us a big surprise!

I think the big surprise was in iOS7 and most of the stuff we'll see in iOS8 will be under the hood. Maybe a few bells and whistles like the split screen multitasking

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yep. Hoping for more power user settings but probably won't happen.

That goes against the grain of the Apple MO, I don't see them allowing more settings/customizations but rather tightly managing what they do offer. Just look at their current implementation of multitasking. Its very tightly managed.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
That goes against the grain of the Apple MO, I don't see them allowing more settings/customizations but rather tightly managing what they do offer. Just look at their current implementation of multitasking. Its very tightly managed.

Yeah I don't mean adding more features but controlling what's already in iOS.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Sure it does. Look at any other OS. The better versions get adopted more than the poorly reviewed versions. This isn't a big controversy.

If your referring to Windows, your example is completely invalid for multiple reasons:

1. Windows costs a significant amount of money and so people are more inclined to read reviews prior to handing over cash rather than just take a chance on a new version.

2. Major versions of windows don't force themselves on you by autodownloading.

3. Microsoft provides support and updates long after Apple has forgotten about and older version of iOS... Particularly with regards to legacy security updates.

4. If I do install a new version of windows and don't like it I can downgrade - with ios I am stuck with it and this is reflected in the stats.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
UI was just a skinning. It's largely the same. The only big 'features' related to UI was Safari, and the side gesture swiping.

Healthbook based on leaks is a strong likelyhood..

They started moving to swiping at side of screen for forward back, to eliminate some hand stretching to the top. I'd like to see more UI/gesture adjustments to cope with another display size growth.

Control Center? iTunes Radio? Photos app photo organization.... Touch ID support. Dev APIs.

----------

Yep. Hoping for more power user settings but probably won't happen.

Like? Turning off animations or what?

----------

It can but it won't. iOS 8 will be visually different to iOS 7.

iOS 6 was visually different from iOS 5 but no one really payed attention to it because it wasn't enough. A simple tweak of iOS 7 can honestly make a big difference because the UI is full of whitespace.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
It seems like iOS 8 is going to be a snoozer. That is certainly disappointing. Combine that with the possibility that the new iPad will simply be a processor, battery, ram upgrade and the iPhone 6 will likely feature just a larger screen and maybe NFC, and you have one sceptical customer that is considering a switch.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It seems like iOS 8 is going to be a snoozer. That is certainly disappointing. Combine that with the possibility that the new iPad will simply be a processor, battery, ram upgrade and the iPhone 6 will likely feature just a larger screen and maybe NFC, and you have one sceptical customer that is considering a switch.

I'm confused, what else would be in a phone refresh? Switching platforms does what in terms of usability? It certainly doesn't change the refresh paradigm.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

Will be very boring. That's why you don't have to watch or buy or tune into Apple news or products. Give me a break, are you expecting something revolutionary every year?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Adios! :rolleyes:

Personally, very much looking forward to iOS 8 as I think Apple will add some of the few things I'd like to see. But what rumors are you basing your "snoozer" comment on?

Also - couldn't care less about any type of spec bump in the iPad. All I want is TouchID. If that happens (and its highly likely), I'll pick up a 128 GB LTE version and use the hell out of it.

Looking forward to the larger iPhone as well - should be interesting to see what they do with it.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Two months until iOS 8 reveal!

Will be very boring. That's why you don't have to watch or buy or tune into Apple news or products. Give me a break, are you expecting something revolutionary every year?

What was the last thing we got that was "revolutionary" in iOS or it's hardware?

I have the original iPhone & iPad & iOS 1.0 and the addition of the App Store. So 2011 with the iPad. And a 3 year drought since.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What was the last thing we got that was "revolutionary" in iOS or it's hardware?

I have the original iPhone & iPad & iOS 1.0 and the addition of the App Store. So 2011 with the iPad. And a 3 year drought since.
You probably haven't heard of Touch ID or various brand new things in iOS 7 that weren't in any previous iOS version, right? You are expecting brand new products? That's fine, but that's unrelated to iPhone and iOS updates which is what this is about.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
You probably haven't heard of Touch ID or various brand new things in iOS 7 that weren't in any previous iOS version, right? You are expecting brand new products? That's fine, but that's unrelated to iPhone and iOS updates which is what this is about.

Please, do not feed him. He'll keep coming back!

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
slightly off topic, but I forgot how the 5S was supposed to allow for better apps and such that would justify the upgrade over the 5. I did upgrade to the 5S for other reasons, but I can't think of any such apps still.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009

"Revolutionary"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
"Revolutionary"
Yes, doesn't apply to existing products, as the examples you provided of what you feel fits in demonstrate. Thus, not really what this is about as this is about iOS 8 and iPhones and other existing iOS devices.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
slightly off topic, but I forgot how the 5S was supposed to allow for better apps and such that would justify the upgrade over the 5. I did upgrade to the 5S for other reasons, but I can't think of any such apps still.

That won't happen for a while as there aren't enough 64-bit devices.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
My body is ready

Sucks that I'll be working though. But hopefully the betas will be ready to be downloaded by 3rd party websites.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 168
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.