Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Why are there so many here defending a faceless, multi trillion dollar company? Apple. Doesn’t. Care. About. You.
they care, they care alot
they care too much
they care that your 2010  product will not work or get support.
along with that  TV from 2012 and MacBook pro too!

• Haha
Reactions: duervo

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Apple has had provided many reasons in the past, I'd be vary about their PR talk. Including "only few devices affected" or "in some cases". :D

They saw quite some statements proven wrong at public court so I wouldn't necessarily choose them as virtuous truth tellers. They are first and foremost protecting their image as good as they can as they are a publicly traded company, I would do the same if I were them and I felt safe or had good odds when going with said accusation.
no one called them truth tellers. This is employment related where you are hearing one side of the story. Apple will not comment in public about an employees performance, that for sure would get them into a law suit with the employee. It's a private matter. I am not sure I recall a time apple was charged and fined for saying, "a few devices" or "in some cases". It's generic banter which is not untruthful. Just because people want to think they were wronged, doesn't mean apple as a company did something wrong.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Guilty until proven innocent is one thing.

All kinds of negativity directed toward the employee(s)—painting them as spoiled/lazy/untalented/mentally ill, among other things—is a long way away from "I'm withholding judgement until I know more."

I took OP's comment as not "Apple is bad and surely guilty of gross misconduct," but rather "why do people feel compelled to immediately cape for a corporate entity that doesn't need the help? Because we like the products they put out?!?!" and how weird of a rationale/instinct that is.
I find it bizarre there are any judgements at all, the facts aren't known. That the (former) employee took to twitter however, is a sure sign, there is more to this than meets the eye (the employee seemingly has an axe to grind. If really wronged hire a lawyer) and it will be interesting to see what the outcome of this investigation will be.

Last edited:

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
She said the work environment was toxic. NOT that the actual building was built on a toxic waste site. You don't even know what you're talking about.
No, she apparently said the building was on a toxic hazardous site. According to financial times.

"Gjovik’s original complaints stemmed from mid-March, when she cited “chemical exposure” concerns at her Apple office in Sunnyvale, California. The facility is located on a Superfund site, requiring special oversight owing to previous contamination by hazardous waste materials beneath the building.

When Apple sent an email about wanting to test the site for “vapour intrusion”, Gjovik’s questions about it were rebuffed by Apple’s employee relations department. “They intimidated me not to speak about my safety concerns,” Gjovik alleged."

makitango

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
No, she apparently said the building was on a toxic hazardous site. According to financial times.

"Gjovik’s original complaints stemmed from mid-March, when she cited “chemical exposure” concerns at her Apple office in Sunnyvale, California. The facility is located on a Superfund site, requiring special oversight owing to previous contamination by hazardous waste materials beneath the building.

When Apple sent an email about wanting to test the site for “vapour intrusion”, Gjovik’s questions about it were rebuffed by Apple’s employee relations department. “They intimidated me not to speak about my safety concerns,” Gjovik alleged."
Who wouldn't want to work on such a blessed foundation? :D

Jokes aside, I don't think it's generally applicable that it's not safe to work there if there is oversight to it, but to me it's very much understandable to have concerns as it's possibly not easy to understand or believe that the oversight is precautionary enough. There have been so many health & safety incidents with many big companies on the globe that looking into such things makes sense.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
A lot of Apple employee's are just spoiled and out of touch with reality, and cry when they don't get something they want, meanwhile reality is that they work at one of the best places to work.

Absolutely. American Workers have nothing but feelings of entitlement in 2021.

Union Organization effort next at Apple. ????

Just quit and go somewhere else.

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
"When I began my career, we worked 30 hour days, with no breaks for food or water....and we were thankful for the opportunity! People need to remember that work should be like hazing...you eat crap until you get to the top and then have the privilege to make the people below you eat crap. Only way to develop such a good 'work ethic'!"

Yeah... I disagree with the sentiment you are conveying, and the "I have power over you so I control you" element... (so I agree with you, for the record).

However, teasing out the more-relevant pieces and discarding the emotional vitriol in said sentiment (please know this is not against you personally), there is still the matter of "appreciation" one gets from working hard towards an achievement which then results in the establishment of "value".

It's the "value" that we are going for. If I give someone $1,000 (or rupees or euros, pick one), then they will just burn it. It's not appreciated and has no value. If you hire Random Karen from the street and make them CEO, they will implode in a week and everything burns, because there's no value.

Value is derived from Appreciation, and Appreciation is a function of work/effort invested.

You simply cannot wizardly declare and bestow everyone with equal privileges (which is SEPARATE from "equal rights"!). "Equal pay for equal work" is a right, and should be established. Key word: "equal WORK". CEOs and audio chip assemblers are not equal work, but they do deserve equal rights. Privileges are a function of the Station. What is good for the C-suite won't be as good for the staff. The upper dudes have more accountability than the keyboard-programmer (who, BTW, needs serious help.. this iPad on screen keyboard is awful). Bad press for Apple Maps got Forstall fired, but not the 350 people who crapped out the code and data. Accountability.

However, again, Accountability is the "check and balance" to all the above. Unchecked power results in absolute power, which results in absolute corruption. Then again, "quis custodiet ipsos custodies?" That's why companies have a Board of independent Directors.

Too much of these elements and details are getting lost it today's headline-driven drama. People everywhere need to take a breath. We're gonna kill ourselves otherwise..

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The fact that Tim Cook has not taken seriously enough to intervene or make a statement on the issue makes the claims suspicious. Then again, this is a guy that made a 300 billion secret deal with a regime. I think the investigation is just, if no wrong doing is found then there is nothing those employees can do but move on.

Working at these major tech companies is not all that it’s cracked up to be and the pressure is even
more intense when you are moving up the chain. Ethics and values begin to get blurred for the sake of profit and growth. Don’t let the legend of Steve Jobs fool you either, he was always a shrewd business man and focus was to drive grown and profits. The products were just the icing on the cake.

Look at Google with its ‘Don’t be evil’ BS. That’s all been thrown out the window.

Reactions: Ant2369

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Nice to see MR *finally* acknowledging this story after ignoring it for months. I know it’s a fine line that has to be walked for the sake of protecting your access to Apple, but MR has been the only Apple-centric blog to not report on this and other labor related issues at Apple. Not a good look.

• Haha
Reactions: Glideslope

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
I've spent my entire adult life working for faceless soulless bureaucracies of the government flavor. So, I'll throw my 2 cents in the ring.

A certain percentage of any organization this large is jerks. Period. It's human nature. Whether it's the bosses, or the employees, or whatever. You're going to have malcontents at every level. Why? Humans, that's why. People suck. It's true, even at Apple, people suck They suck everywhere you go. It's unavoidable. Heck, just sit in rush hour traffic for a half hour. All those people gotta work SOMEPLACE. Some of them work for the IRS, some are cops, some are Apple employees. Some of them are bosses at THOSE PLACES. Some are worker bees.

There are a LOT of decent people out there. A lot of good bosses. I've had good bosses, and I've had bad bosses. One boss I had thought I was a bone, and he was the dog to gnaw on me all day. That went on for almost a decade. I'm still here, he isn't. Takes a lot of effort to gnaw that bone. The dog gets tired. All the bone has to do is endure.

On the other hand, when I got 'Rona last year, I had 3 separate bosses up the chain (one the second in charge of a 4,000+ person government organization) check up on me. One went and got me and my wife groceries because we couldn't go out. Another one called my wife when I was having heart surgery a few years a go just to make sure we were OK.

When employees have issues and work and make a complaint that ends up in an investigation, it's usually a good thing for other employees. It puts the crappy bosses on notice that someone's noticing their crappy behavior. It's good to rattle that saber from time to time. One would wish it wasn't needed, but it is.

During all this, I held a part time job at another government agency. The boss was a nice guy to your face, but all the employees were automatons. He ruled by memo and fiat, and would over work you to his own end in a millisecond. I like him personally, but wouldn't give a bucket of spit for him professionally. Which is fine, since I doubt I will have dealings with him in the future, but if I do, it will most certainly be on a more equal footing.

Like everything else, it's pretty simple. Treat people with respect, be kind, be FAIR, and don't ask anyone to do something you're not willing to do yourself.

And be ready to do it, because the time will probably come. That's what being a boss is really all about. Every crap job could eventually be your job, so you better be ready for it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So we should let companies abuse employees, breaks employment laws, etc, because they could always just quit?? I see. You aren't a business owner are you?
That's not what was being said. "Feeling mistreated" doesn't mean being mistreated legally as in harassment. Having a tough manager is not against any labor law. And no need to insult anybody.

Reactions: Glideslope

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Why are there so many here defending a faceless, multi trillion dollar company? Apple. Doesn’t. Care. About. You.
Companies care about their employees only so far as taking care of employees enhances their ability to take care of their stockholders, the owners of the company. Employees, whose employment isn‘t perceived by management to be aligned with the stockholders are terminated. Managers that don’t terminate unaligned employees are likewise terminated for not being aligned with adding to stockholder value.

Reactions: I7guy

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
A lot of Apple employee's are just spoiled and out of touch with reality, and cry when they don't get something they want, meanwhile reality is that they work at one of the best places to work.
Completely false…some maybe but not a lot….I know of a lot personally that have gone through all the terrible things pointed out

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
Can't imagine how lucky they are at Apple. Some of us are working in blue collars or ****** jobs no one wants to do.
Swap with one of us for a day and I guarantee you’ll think differently….go work in the Genius Bar and take some of the appointments I’ve witnessed and I promise you’ll have a much different point of view

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
A bunch of whiners making too much money. Maybe they should try a fast food place
Oh trust me we don’t make too
Much money Compare it to what managers make it’s hardly worth bragging about

So many comments from so many people who have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what they’re talking about

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
That's not what was being said. "Feeling mistreated" doesn't mean being mistreated legally as in harassment. Having a tough manager is not against any labor law. And no need to insult anybody.
So does a homosexual employee telling two straight males he’s busy choosing which one of the two he’d like to bend over during his lunch break count as sexual harassment? How about when it’s reported and employees are interviewed about it and NOTHING is done Is that fair for calling it mistreatment

britabroad

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
A lot of Apple employee's are just spoiled and out of touch with reality, and cry when they don't get something they want, meanwhile reality is that they work at one of the best places to work..
.... says somebody who presumably has never worked for Apple....

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Funny how many anti-apple people show up in these forums.

Funny how nobody investigates amazon after 6 people died being forced to work through a tornado

Go work for amazon, lol

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
"feeling mistreated" is not what I'm talking about. They have actually already shown they feel they can bend the rules. You can not force an employee to spend uncompensated time for things like "security bag checks"... The only reason Apple thought they could get away with it is they are massive and could spend lots of money in court before they finally realized they weren't going to win and settled. This type of attitude for something that is so clearly against labor laws isn't promising for a lot of their policies...

The two people who I know and eventually quit told me things I couldn't believe were legal, but I am not a lawyer... they were developers in two completely different departments, both got a salary, one was a web developer and the other worked on applications. Some of the policies they told me about seemed absolutely ridiculous.

It is pretty clear Apple has the same idea some on this forum do, that they are a dream job and so they can demand whatever they want if you want to to work for them.

Last edited:

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
Do you know anyone who works there? I know two people who did work there, and they would disagree with you. Based on what I know I wouldn't want to work there.
I know a half dozen people there and I would not want to work there either. It used to be my dream job, and I've had chances to apply recently, and there's no way I'd leave my job now to work there. It seems like the worst of two worlds- full of Silicon Valley bros but also a very old company with an entrenched, awful work culture. Even when people get fired for harassment or literally saying the N word in a Zoom meeting, there's no acknowledgment of why they were fired.

I doubt this investigation goes anywhere, but I think the people I know there who have experienced some of the terrible stuff are at least pleasantly surprised, though probably not that optimistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.