Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
What do you expect them to do. Sit idle and watch their rights get taken away?

Imagine allowing China's law system dictate what's right and wrong in your country.
Don’t need to, I don’t live in China, what China do to their land is their business not mine.
Are you trying to justify their violent approach to shove their ideology down others by force?

Reactions: DoctorApple

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Okay, then don't force the protestors as the bad guys because you have your freedom.
What are you smoking, how am I forcing anyone lol, I’m just calling out what I see and what I see is these protestors getting extremely violent, if these same antics been deployed here in the states shots would been fired, consider nypd will shoot you for something a lot less.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
So US lawmakers are disappointed with Apple in how they deal with China, while the US also does business with China?

Reactions: max.ine

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Mainland China will get their comeuppance in the decades to come. China's actions are a result of the embarrassment they felt due to the west and their enemies who tried purging them, albeit historically. As they say, history repeats itself. If China were as great as they claim, their young wouldn't seek higher education outside of the country, particularly high ranking American, Canadian and European institutes. They would see no need to commit IP theft because they would be smart enough to design and engineer their own technology. They are but a paper tiger. China can only threaten economically, except the harsh reality is there's a limit to that unless they enjoy being thundered with artillery. They're a blight in the region, as is Turkey and KSA in the middle east. Venezuela and Brazil in South America.

I'm sure some elder Japanese today believe Nanjing wasn't enough.
consider nypd will shoot you for something a lot less.
If you're Hispanic or Black, sure.

Last edited:

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Don’t need to, I don’t live in China, what China do to their land is their business not mine.
Are you trying to justify their violent approach to shove their ideology down others by force?

Give me a break. Hope that you never need anyone’s help. Let alone anyone who you’ve spoken to in this manner. Do you also insist that a battered wife who shoots her husband in self defense is guilty as sin? Oh and let me guess. A suspicious looking dark skinned person walks by your home and it’s totally ok to shoot them in cold blood right? Cause you felt threatened....

Check your ideology at the door please.

Reactions: xpxp2002

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
China has apple in a no win situation. apple has employees in china who might get arrested if the company defies the state. apple manufacturing is in china and the state could prevent iphones and macs from leaving the country if apple defies the state. it is not just access to chinese consumers that apple is concerned about here. it is their entire business and the safety of their employees that will be used by the state as examples

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
It's simple. Companies care more about what the Chinese government thinks than what any other government thinks. The US might have crazy politicians, but they're not going to block Apple from doing business. China could pull the plug on Apple, and any other company, for the slightest reason. Companies can handle the US government being disappointed in them, but they can't handle China being disappointed in them.

Like the US Gov has done. It seams that Huawei is handling it well.

There is something weird going on in the US mindshare. Too much money “anxiety” and fear the foreign. That is not good at all.

One of the greatest economies in the world, a place were say 10% of the people accumulate the richies of the entire nation, were one can go from rags to being treated like “gods” overnight, walls defining borders managed by the army, tech escapism ... who does the US blame for its financial “difficulties”? The nobodies and the Russian meddling ...

I see this move from TC, the CEO of of what it is probably the richest company in capital in the world in this high pressure context. Nothing makes sense.

I know people in their daily life go along just like me, families, normal and friendly ... but there is something to be said about the outset of this environment defined by politicians, media and art.

Last edited:

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
But if it was an ISIS app being removed, you wouldn't mind at all.
..huh? By the sound of it, it almost sounds like you'd be for an ISIS app being published to the App Store, which is concerning in its own right...

But that aside, you're not even making a fair comparison. One group is revolting against an oppressive, communist regime, and the other wants to literally chop everyone's heads off that isn't aligned with them. Like maybe you can help me here because I genuinely don't understand how you arrived at that comment.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
..huh? By the sound of it, it almost sounds like you'd be for an ISIS app being published to the App Store, which is concerning in its own right...

But that aside, you're not even making a fair comparison. One group is revolting against an oppressive, communist regime, and the other wants to literally chop everyone's heads off that isn't aligned with them. Like maybe you can help me here because I genuinely don't understand how you arrived at that comment.

Agree 200%.

A somewhat compatible comparison would be what has been going on in Span, Catalunha / Barcelona. Yet no app or company was asked to be taken down by the law enforcers I guess.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
bloody China... This is like asking Google to remove my house from Street view because its "assisting" criminals where to look first, or police speed cameras to avoid on the streets, so they'll loose revenue.

It goes on and on.

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
It is our basic right to protest against our government if we feel we are not taken care of or not being represented or we are being oppressed. There is no government without its people.

The protest in Hong Kong started in extradition, basically current government wants to pass a law that allows China to extradite anyone convicted in Hong Kong to main land China. We have to remember that with the "One country, two systems" principle Hong Kong has its own government system and with this extradition law main land China will have some power over Hong Kong protesters because they can basically put up trumped-up cases against those who will oppose the reunification and have them extradited to main land China and from there they will simple disappear.

With this the people of Hong Kong were threatened and thus the protest began. As the protest progress and grew in numbers and intensified the leader of Hong Kong tried to step back a little by putting on hold the passing of the law. This did not sit well with the protesters because what they want is for the government to totally abandon the extradition law not just put it on hold and because of this the protest continues.

Using the term "riot" is actually not correct in this case. The correct term is actually protest. Using the term "riot" actually tones down what is happening because riot simply means public disturbance without any political motive but what the protesters are doing are more than just public disturbance. They have a genuine political reason for their protest and in this case (Hong Kong leaders are becoming a puppet regime of China) the only way that their voice will be heard is through mass protest that will hopefully disable government function showing their leaders how serious they are with their demand.

What is happening in Hong Kong is very interesting because the region has about 7 million people and the protesters reached about 1 million strong as reported. This means that about 15% of its people are on the street protesting and this does not include those who are supporting the protesters silently through logistic support and other method of support. 1 million in 7 million can already be considered the voice of the people but since the current government is becoming or is a puppet of main land China the Hong Kong government will not hear the voice of its people.

The question is how long can the protesters keep this up. The way I see it Hong Kong government which is backed by main land China is stretching the conflict. It is waiting when the protesters get tired and finally stop the whole protest on the street. Its all about patience vs will. How willful the protesters are that they are willing to do this until their demands are met. They can try to slow down the economy of the region and halt some government and business functions but I think main land China will just pour resources to the region to negate whatever effects the protest on the street has on the region.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I don’t get why this needs to be a native app - seems like anything it does could be done in a web page anyway. And if the Chinese government were to block the webpage they could just as easily block the traffic from this app couldn’t they?

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
China is only getting more totalitarian and brazen. It is time for the rest of the world to stand up for democracy or at least stand against totalitarianism.

How can China get "more totalitarian" than what happened in Tiananmen Square decades ago? People were protesting for rights and they ended up being executed or sent to prison camps. The United States and other countries around the world still wanted to trade and do business with China. People are fooling themselves by treating China's reaction to Hong Kong as if it's something new. Telling Apple to remove an app isn't worse than executing people for dissent.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It is our basic right to protest against our government if we feel we are not taken care of or not being represented or we are being oppressed. There is no government without its people.

The protest in Hong Kong started in extradition, basically current government wants to pass a law that allows China to extradite anyone convicted in Hong Kong to main land China. We have to remember that with the "One country, two systems" principle Hong Kong has its own government system and with this extradition law main land China will have some power over Hong Kong protesters because they can basically put up trumped-up cases against those who will oppose the reunification and have them extradited to main land China and from there they will simple disappear.

With this the people of Hong Kong were threatened and thus the protest began. As the protest progress and grew in numbers and intensified the leader of Hong Kong tried to step back a little by putting on hold the passing of the law. This did not sit well with the protesters because what they want is for the government to totally abandon the extradition law not just put it on hold and because of this the protest continues.

Using the term "riot" is actually not correct in this case. The correct term is actually protest. Using the term "riot" actually tones down what is happening because riot simply means public disturbance without any political motive but what the protesters are doing are more than just public disturbance. They have a genuine political reason for their protest and in this case (Hong Kong leaders are becoming a puppet regime of China) the only way that their voice will be heard is through mass protest that will hopefully disable government function showing their leaders how serious they are with their demand.

What is happening in Hong Kong is very interesting because the region has about 7 million people and the protesters reached about 1 million strong as reported. This means that about 15% of its people are on the street protesting and this does not include those who are supporting the protesters silently through logistic support and other method of support. 1 million in 7 million can already be considered the voice of the people but since the current government is becoming or is a puppet of main land China the Hong Kong government will not hear the voice of its people.

The question is how long can the protesters keep this up. The way I see it Hong Kong government which is backed by main land China is stretching the conflict. It is waiting when the protesters get tired and finally stop the whole protest on the street. Its all about patience vs will. How willful the protesters are that they are willing to do this until their demands are met. They can try to slow down the economy of the region and halt some government and business functions but I think main land China will just pour resources to the region to negate whatever effects the protest on the street has on the region.

How can you say that? It started as a protest, which turned into a riot ... No one ask them to destroy things... The violent nature happen when HK can't get their way.. And if all people do is wanna get on with their daily lives... That is just not possible anymore. So this was would have been a welcomed app

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

The movement started peacefully, and majority of citizens and people supported the movement, even those overseas. However, as time went and it went bigger, the movement was obviously infiltrated by those with self interest. It’s losing its meaning, even to the previous supporters, when innocent citizens were getting hurt. You cannot claim human rights when you are using your rights to trample on others. Hong Kong is spiraling out of control, and destabilizing. That by itself is ruining Hong Kong as it is a country that relied on stability as a financial and trade hub.

To makes things worse, many westerners are now provoking and promoting the chaos and lawlessness in the name of their self righteous ego of “freedom” and “human rights”. This actually plays into the Chinese handbook. They want the situation to get worse, so the movement can completely lose its meaning, and they can use the excuse to go in heavy handed. Is that what people wanted?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Comparing ISIS to non-violent protesters in HK. Doing the oligarchs work for them
WERE non-violent. Not anymore.
[automerge]1571483259[/automerge]
bloody China... This is like asking Google to remove my house from Street view because its "assisting" criminals where to look first, or police speed cameras to avoid on the streets, so they'll loose revenue.

It goes on and on.
The one who asked Apple is not China, but the Hong Kong law enforcement, and they showed Apple their reasoning, the fact that innocent citizens have been targeted. Apple saw the risks and decided to agree with the recommendation.

The Hong Kong law enforcement didn't ask Apple to block safari nor block internet access. Hkmap.live is still accessible through the web browser.

In contrast, US politicians and FBI asked Apple to put a backdoor in all iPhones just so they can unlock someone's iPhone. Gee, which one is worse.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
I read a lot of opinions that claim the US is just as corrupted and guilty of mass deaths as China. Fine. Let’s say that’s true. Then either don’t criticize neither of them or criticize both of them.

When all these multi millionaire celebrities sit on their high horses and trash our President and the USA for transgender ban in the military or transgender bathroom rights but at the same time they keep their mouths shut about China crimes and they bow to the communist regime, then they are hypocrites And they don’t have the right to speak and be heard of.

Reactions: Hanson Eigilson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.