Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
(And other than the addition of Santa Cruz, I don't think the SF Bay Area coverage area has changed much since it came out. But Houston definitely seems to have been expanded.

I have a friend in San Jose, but I have friends that used to live in Livermore and Pleasanton. I don't remember Look Around going out that far Hwys 580 and 680.

Vegas, LA, and NY...ehh, maybe a little, I'd say.

Was New Jersey part of Look Around before, because I'm seeing Bayonne, Jersey City, and parts of Newark?

Look Around stretches ALMOST to Mount Vernon and New Rochelle in NY as well. I wish I could remember if it was that expansive before.

Las Vegas includes Henderson. Is that new? It's almost to Boulder City.

Check out the L.A. metro area. It looks like it's expanded Eastward on some of the major highways and surrounding areas. Did Claremont used to have Look Around?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Look Around didn’t look any different to me at a glance, but since I don’t live in one of the areas, I’m not sure I would notice a difference.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I have a friend in San Jose, but I have friends that used to live in Livermore and Pleasanton. I don't remember Look Around going out that far Hwys 580 and 680.

Was New Jersey part of Look Around before, because I'm seeing Bayonne, Jersey City, and parts of Newark?

Look Around stretches ALMOST to Mount Vernon and New Rochelle in NY as well. I wish I could remember if it was that expansive before.

Las Vegas includes Henderson. Is that new? It's almost to Boulder City.

Check out the L.A. metro area. It looks like it's expanded Eastward on some of the major highways and surrounding areas. Did Claremont used to have Look Around?
NY does seem to have expanded. At one point, I thought I remember the coverage stopping at the NY/NJ state line, so having coverage in New Jersey is relatively new for sure! LA definitely looks to have expanded East (Not sure by how much though, because I think the LA coverage was pretty expansive as well). And as for Vegas, I do recall Henderson being included from the beginning, but it does seem to have expanded a bit past that as well! Looking at them all together, the Houston and San Francisco-San Jose coverage areas are the most expansive (and I think were from the moment they were each introduced. But all seem to have expanded as well). Santa Cruz also having now it leads me to wonder what the release schedule will be used to roll out “other” locations once all of the major cities are taken care of. When you look at what’s out so far, Santa Cruz seems like ”random“ one out there. Seems strange to have all these huge, metro areas and then...Santa Cruz ?

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Look Around does not extend into Westchester for me. Ends at NYC city limits

Look Around does not extend into Westchester for me either. Eastchester, yes, but not Westchester.

I've never been to New York, so I sometimes get a little confused by the Boroughs, but I'm confused by your mention of the NYC City Limits.

Are you seeing Zucker Hillside Hospital on your Look Around? It's at 75-59 263rd St in Glen Oaks, NY.

How about the CVS Pharmacy at 132 Bronx River Rd in Yonkers?

How about the Walmart Supercenter at 400 Park Plaza Dr in Secaucus, NJ?

Or the TD Bank at 126 Page Ave in Staten Island? (Yes, I'm aware Staten Island is a NYC Borough).

Or Olga's Place at 214 Lt Glenn Zamorski Dr in Elizabethport, NJ?

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
On my phone, NYC Look Around extends a tiny bit into Nassau County east of Queens, a tiny sliver of Westchester County north of the Bronx in a few spots, and a bit into New Jersey, mainly covering the western Hudson River shore communities, as far west as basically Newark International Airport, which isn't very far.

Basically, Look Around ends specifically at the NYC border lines. But because the border isn't straight, it includes nearby pockets of outside counties if the NYC border makes an abrupt dip.

mkennon

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
So neither my wife, two sons, or myself have the southeast maps update. Hard to believe out of four of us none have the test maps. :confused:

Last edited:

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
I am really sick of the Apple Maps corrections team. I spend a lot of time submitting corrections, but whenever I get the notification that they’ve made changes based on my submissions, nothing ever changes. I wait days for the changes to show up, but they never do. It’s like they completely disregard my corrections. How do you make them actually implement your corrections? Some of the corrections I submit are as simple as moving the pin for the POI to the correct part of the building. All the changes I submit are in the new maps area.

Reactions: dk001 and G1Ravage

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I am really sick of the Apple Maps corrections team. I spend a lot of time submitting corrections, but whenever I get the notification that they’ve made changes based on my submissions, nothing ever changes. I wait days for the changes to show up, but they never do. It’s like they completely disregard my corrections. How do you make them actually implement your corrections? Some of the corrections I submit are as simple as moving the pin for the POI to the correct part of the building. All the changes I submit are in the new maps area.

I made a bunch the day we got new maps here in the Midwest. While it took a couple of weeks before I got notified of the changes, all were done correctly. There were a few I made that were NOT corrected at all and I’m not sure why.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I posted a correction repeatedly over the past few months, and nothing happened. I don't think they actually take our submissions into consideration. They might as well remove that feature from the Maps.

Reactions: Speedman100

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I posted a correction repeatedly over the past few months, and nothing happened. I don't think they actually take our submissions into consideration. They might as well remove that feature from the Maps.

Read the post above yours. I don’t know how they pick the ones they correct but they do correct things based on user feedback.

I’m glad they have this feature and they should not remove it.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Read the post above yours. I don’t know how they pick the ones they correct but they do correct things based on user feedback.

I’m glad they have this feature and they should not remove it.
It's interesting to see so many people who say their changes are never reflected. It makes me wonder what the "requirements" (for lack of a better word) are to make a change. I've sent in a TON of corrections. At the most, I would say maybe 5 TOTAL were never changed. One in particular was never even responded to, but the rest I got a response to but didn't see a change. I wonder if it's anything like beta feedback, where the more reports a particular thing gets...equals a higher priority.

I've sent feedback to update locations (lots of misplaced POI's when my area got the new maps), update business hours, add website and phone data to the POI information, whether or not a place accepts Apple Pay, and so on. I've seen all but those maybe 3 that I mentioned take effect. However...the amount of time it took...is highly variable. There were some where I saw the change reflected as soon as I got the notification from Apple. Some that didn't take effect until a day or so after that notification. And then there was one that had almost a month between the time I got the notification that it had been corrected and the time I actually saw the change show on the map...

Reactions: gwhizkids

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
It's interesting to see so many people who say their changes are never reflected. It makes me wonder what the "requirements" (for lack of a better word) are to make a change. I've sent in a TON of corrections. At the most, I would say maybe 5 TOTAL were never changed. One in particular was never even responded to, but the rest I got a response to but didn't see a change. I wonder if it's anything like beta feedback, where the more reports a particular thing gets...equals a higher priority.

I've sent feedback to update locations (lots of misplaced POI's when my area got the new maps), update business hours, add website and phone data to the POI information, whether or not a place accepts Apple Pay, and so on. I've seen all but those maybe 3 that I mentioned take effect. However...the amount of time it took...is highly variable. There were some where I saw the change reflected as soon as I got the notification from Apple. Some that didn't take effect until a day or so after that notification. And then there was one that had almost a month between the time I got the notification that it had been corrected and the time I actually saw the change show on the map...
Do you always leave comments in your submissions? Sometimes the only thing I’m correcting is the location of the pin on the map, and I don’t leave a comment or anything. So maybe when the reviewer sees my submission, they don’t even notice that I changed anything at all? Maybe they miss that I moved the pin.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Do you always leave comments in your submissions? Sometimes the only thing I’m correcting is the location of the pin on the map, and I don’t leave a comment or anything. So maybe when the reviewer sees my submission, they don’t even notice that I changed anything at all? Maybe they miss that I moved the pin.
Yep, I DO leave a comment of some sort, regardless of the reason I'm submitting. For example, correcting the location of the pin. For changes like that...I will leave a comment along the lines of "editing location marker". (Now that I think of it, I think the only ones I never got a response on were ones that I didn't leave a comment on. Even though it says "optional", I think it helps to call it out. Especially in the case of moving a pin, since I can imagine that is a pretty easy thing to miss)!

Even if it doesn't seem necessary to leave a comment, I tend to, simply because it gives them more to work with. I look at it as a case of a little bit more to go on wouldn't hurt! If I were on the other side of this situation, I would actually prefer people leave comments for me because it kind of forces me to pay more attention to it and make sure I didn't miss out on anything.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
The street I live on has no name in Apple Maps. Consequently, I am not able to store my address correctly, nor to have "when I get home" reminders work correctly. I've told them times and times again how that street is actually called, I've even posted a screenshot from Google Maps and a photo of the street name sign, but to no avail. Half a year and several reports later, it's still unnamed. I give up. I just don't think they care.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Yep, I DO leave a comment of some sort, regardless of the reason I'm submitting. For example, correcting the location of the pin. For changes like that...I will leave a comment along the lines of "editing location marker". (Now that I think of it, I think the only ones I never got a response on were ones that I didn't leave a comment on. Even though it says "optional", I think it helps to call it out. Especially in the case of moving a pin, since I can imagine that is a pretty easy thing to miss)!

Even if it doesn't seem necessary to leave a comment, I tend to, simply because it gives them more to work with. I look at it as a case of a little bit more to go on wouldn't hurt! If I were on the other side of this situation, I would actually prefer people leave comments for me because it kind of forces me to pay more attention to it and make sure I didn't miss out on anything.

I’ve made a handful and they’ve always been updated within a week and I get confirmation.

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The street I live on has no name in Apple Maps. Consequently, I am not able to store my address correctly, nor to have "when I get home" reminders work correctly. I've told them times and times again how that street is actually called, I've even posted a screenshot from Google Maps and a photo of the street name sign, but to no avail. Half a year and several reports later, it's still unnamed. I give up. I just don't think they care.

Where is this? New map area?

Typically, street names require government data as a back-up instead of a comment from a user. They will also not use Google Maps as evidence of a required change.

I think a photo of the street sign would be a good indicator for them, but maybe that’s not enough.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Saw this mentioned on Reddit and decided to give it a try. I’d be almost certain this isn’t new, but it’s new for me (since I never turned this setting off until now). If you’re in Dark Mode and want roads to “stick out“ more against the dark background...turn off the Traffic setting. Major roadways/highways go from a grey to an orange. (It fades to gray when traffic is on to avoid confusion with colors used to represent traffic).

Reactions: BBDDVV and MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Saw this mentioned on Reddit and decided to give it a try. I’d be almost certain this isn’t new, but it’s new for me (since I never turned this setting off until now). If you’re in Dark Mode and want roads to “stick out“ more against the dark background...turn off the Traffic setting. Major roadways/highways go from a grey to an orange. (It fades to gray when traffic is on to avoid confusion with colors used to represent traffic).

I’m pretty sure they updated Maps when iOS13 went public though. Contrast was “fixed” for the most part. Haven’t heard complaints since then.

It never bothered me since I rarely drive at night, but I definitely noticed the difference.

Reactions: iOS Geek

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Just restored my phone and set up as new due to the issues I’ve been having with my Apple Watch. And I now have the new maps everywhere for the first time!

mkennon

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Just restored my phone and set up as new due to the issues I’ve been having with my Apple Watch. And I now have the new maps everywhere for the first time!

Still no southeast updates for me. Does anyone other than UIn4322 have the update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.