Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I wish they'd fix the app itself. But I get the feeling that there's an underlying instability with iOS 13 that will never be corrected until Apple Maps is redesigned for iOS 14.

Now, my "Collections" are randomly vanishing. They eventually come back, but I can't access them at times.

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
What's really gonna suck is when it has limited release next week...for everyone except you. :p
My luck says that’s exactly how it’ll go ??? Or it will hit the moment I board the plane to come home ?
[automerge]1576287781[/automerge]
Surely the Apple folkes monitor this forum... all I want for Christmas is the SE USA, lol.
Haha worth a shot...right? ???
[automerge]1576287932[/automerge]
I wish they'd fix the app itself. But I get the feeling that there's an underlying instability with iOS 13 that will never be corrected until Apple Maps is redesigned for iOS 14.

Now, my "Collections" are randomly vanishing. They eventually come back, but I can't access them at times.
I had that issue once. But it was like waaaay in the beginning (I’m talking like during beta) hasn’t happened since. I did have something recently where if I was looking at an area where I had a LOT of locations marked in collections, the map would stutter a bit. But even that wasn’t an “all the time” issue.

Reactions: MozMan68

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Well...there are 16 days left in 2019. Despite trying to remain optimistic...I don't see it happening by the 31st. I have seen one claim (with pictures seeming to back it up) that test release is active at least in Puerto Rico and Alaska. But the fact that I have only seen that one claim, and nothing about the Central or Southeast...it doesn't make me too hopeful. It seems sooooooooo unlikely that only one person would be speaking up if a test release was actually out there.

I will still hold to a previous thought that I had about Apple just doing this test internally because the past public tests may have taught them whatever it is that they may have wanted to learn, and because of that are just handling it themselves now. (Which would fit a time frame that we have become used to for the test-to-wide release time period. It has been too quiet, but I choose to NOT believe that it means they just aren't doing anything. Maybe they WANT it to look quiet. Releasing what's left by at least the 22nd would be a HUGE surprise and much appreciated for travel time.

Reactions: mkennon

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
What's that Browse Premium Outlets button in the upper right-hand corner next to the i icon. I've never seen that before. Is it something new? It didn't appear in the previous screenshot.

It acts the same as clicking on the marker for the Outlet Mall. It shows up once you are exactly in the right area. A few pixels off and it isn't there. When you click on it, it does not take you to the outlets. The actual location is to the right and down from the map view.

btw - the AM label issue I mentioned is still not fixed. The labels are not showing.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Was anyone else thinking there was a chance that new Maps areas would show up with the latest release?

Maybe tonight/tomorrow.

I know they’re not related, but I dare to dream...
New iOS beta came out today and I will admit I was hoping for that slight, though unlikely chance that something new would come out with the beta. ? But nope! Darn it!

?I want new Apple Maps for Christmaaaaaas? (Singing to the tune of "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas") ???

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Saw two posts on Reddit. One spotted an Apple Maps car in Miami-Dade county. Another says stop lights/signs are now on the maps in Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

As for me...I have started getting responses from Apple on Maps feedback again today!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Been a few days now since I submitted my Incorrect Road Name complaint to Apple. The incorrect name was gone the next day. Since then, including as of a few minutes ago, the roads in this section continue to remain nameless. Even all but one of the business names are gone on AM.
AM12182019001.jpg GM12182019002.jpg

btw - taken at the same time and notice the traffic differences (on IPP 11)

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The rest of the USA (including Alaska, but not Puerto Rico and other territories) officially in pre-release mode!

...but not for me yet... :(

Edit: ...and as some have suggested, they may have been testing internally since the last release 4 weeks ago giving them 2 weeks of public testing before full release yet this year!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: jonblatho

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
The rest of the USA (including Alaska, but not Puerto Rico and other territories) officially in pre-release mode!

...but not for me yet... :(

Edit: ...and as some have suggested, they may have been testing internally since the last release 4 weeks ago giving them 2 weeks of public testing before full release yet this year!
I have them on my phone! Not on my iPad. Haven’t checked my Mac yet!!!

Last edited:

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Can’t say I can recall seeing this before. Look Around coverage in Santa Cruz, CA. It does not connect to the coverage in the SF/San Jose area.

Attachments

• C4B65F8E-9ECD-4009-9BAA-2EC4F4D9177F.jpeg
    C4B65F8E-9ECD-4009-9BAA-2EC4F4D9177F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
Reactions: dk001 and MozMan68

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Good find! I always forget to do a quick Look Around check.

First post updated.
I have no idea what pushed me to check that out, but glad I did ? Santa Cruz is definitely an outlier compared to other cities that have coverage, and so far that’s the only new one I’ve seen. Plus, it’s the first time in a while that I’ve checked. So there’s no saying how long Santa Cruz has actually had the coverage ?

And as mentioned before, I have the new maps on my phone. Have yet to check my Mac (will be doing that soon). If anyone has requests for places to see, let me know and I’ll knock that out during any free time I have today! I did browse around and can confirm that it’s all 50 states now...but no US territories.

Worth mentioning that after looking at locations I’m familiar with...I’m noticing far fewer mis-marked locations compared to past releases!

EDIT: Just checked my Mac. Nothing new. So I'm limited to just my phone. I'll start gathering screenshots after I finish my shopping this morning!

Last edited:

ttam110

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I have no idea what pushed me to check that out, but glad I did 😂 Santa Cruz is definitely an outlier compared to other cities that have coverage, and so far that’s the only new one I’ve seen. Plus, it’s the first time in a while that I’ve checked. So there’s no saying how long Santa Cruz has actually had the coverage 😂

And as mentioned before, I have the new maps on my phone. Have yet to check my Mac (will be doing that soon). If anyone has requests for places to see, let me know and I’ll knock that out during any free time I have today! I did browse around and can confirm that it’s all 50 states now...but no US territories.

Can you post North Carolina? I dont see it on my iPad, iPhone, or either one of my Macs :(

Reactions: iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Zoomed out state view of 2d works - also do you have a screenshot of the entire US?
Here’s both! Zoomed out far enough to squeeze Alaska in there as well. Sorry about all of my collections markers 😂 Have them all for work related things and there isn’t an option to turn them off 😂

Attachments

• 4FAB9080-8A88-48F3-B85E-B5B442EFFD87.jpeg
    4FAB9080-8A88-48F3-B85E-B5B442EFFD87.jpeg
    474.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 31427225-56A9-4034-8C6C-6E2A2D6C1B52.jpeg
    31427225-56A9-4034-8C6C-6E2A2D6C1B52.jpeg
    873.6 KB · Views: 115

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Damn it ? ? ? Lost them on my phone! I will no longer be able to get screenshots for anyone ? All I have now are the regions that have been officially released.

Hopefully this means official release is coming shortly!

Reactions: dk001

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Can’t say I can recall seeing this before. Look Around coverage in Santa Cruz, CA. It does not connect to the coverage in the SF/San Jose area.

A quick glance at Look Around coverage in the U.S. seems like it's expanded outward in all current Look Around locations in my eyes. Well, I'm not sure about Hawaii, but the other areas seem like they've grown since the last time I looked.

No expansion on either of my phones, iPad, or Mac BTW.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
A quick glance at Look Around coverage in the U.S. seems like it's expanded outward in all current Look Around locations in my eyes. Well, I'm not sure about Hawaii, but the other areas seem like they've grown since the last time I looked.

No expansion on either of my phones, iPad, or Mac BTW.
I thought the same thing when I looked at Houston's coverage area in particular. It's coverage area was big to begin with...but I could have sworn I saw more. Wasn't sure if it was just my eyes! But at least I'm not the only one who thought that! (And other than the addition of Santa Cruz, I don't think the SF Bay Area coverage area has changed much since it came out. But Houston definitely seems to have been expanded. Vegas, LA, and NY...ehh, maybe a little, I'd say. Still waiting on the Chicago area, but I'll bet I'm like right on the edge of where the coverage will end, therefore I'll be right outside of the coverage area! I tried coming up with a rough estimate of the area covered by other Look Around areas and I'd say I have a 50/50 shot of making it into the Chicago coverage area when it comes out. If they're releasing it for like an entire metro area, then I'll probably get it since we are on the edge, but still considered to be part of the "metro area". But if they have a different method for how large of a coverage area, my odds will probably drop a bit).

And yeah, I had the "rest of the US" release on my phone as of this morning and then lost it a little while ago. It was nice while it lasted ? I got a quick chance to look around Alaska in prep for my trip, so I'm happy ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.