Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
There's a film coming out that looks like it should work great in VR called Hardcore Henry

Not really. The film was still shot with the traditional 16:9 frame, so it's not like you can use VR to make it more immersive. There would be no periphery.

Also, maybe it's my age showing, but I think the concept behind that film is a terrible gimmick. First person perspective works when you can interact with it (like in games where you can look left, right, etc.). Having a single perspective forced upon you for an entire film seems like it would be more annoying than novel.

A true live action VR film (shot with VR cameras) could actually be pretty cool.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I'm surprised they haven't announced No Man's Sky as a VR compatible title yet. That game is practically begging for it!

Reactions: MRU

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I grew up on Viewmaster and the Viewmaster VR is on sale for $18, so I got one to try.

WOW! My old iPhone 5C went right in and I get an interactive experience. The Viewmaster VR packs are on sale right now for around $10 each so I got a couple.

But, you can download VR apps, and just point the phone to the QR code on the headset and the app adjusts for both the phone and the headset.

I haven't really been up on this until now, but boy is it fun!

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I grew up on Viewmaster and the Viewmaster VR is on sale for $18, so I got one to try.

WOW! My old iPhone 5C went right in and I get an interactive experience. The Viewmaster VR packs are on sale right now for around $10 each so I got a couple.

But, you can download VR apps, and just point the phone to the QR code on the headset and the app adjusts for both the phone and the headset.

I haven't really been up on this until now, but boy is it fun!

I just got one for my son for his birthday and it is pretty cool. Granted, it's a viewmaster, but it would have been nice if it had a strap for your head.

My only gripe is that you can buy the physical experience packs for $10, whereas the iTunes versions are still $15.

Seeing this really makes me want to try out one of the PC driven devices with a much higher resolution.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I just got one for my son for his birthday and it is pretty cool. Granted, it's a viewmaster, but it would have been nice if it had a strap for your head.

My only gripe is that you can buy the physical experience packs for $10, whereas the iTunes versions are still $15.

Seeing this really makes me want to try out one of the PC driven devices with a much higher resolution.

Viewmaster's have always been a "handheld" system. I like it that way as trying out the Samsung VR I didn't like something hanging off my head.

Yeah, even with the physical packs you still have to download the app and pointing the headset to the pack unlocks the content - they're trying to still use "discs" as part of their system.

Do love the fact that other VR app developers can support that headset - it is a lot of fun for a mere $20. I wish there was a way of scanning in all those old Viewmaster reels and viewing them on the new VR...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
So the Playstation VR launch date is drawing closer, and my nephew just asked me which games I am planning to get. I couldn't think of any "must-buys" on my radar so far. I already own Trackmania Turbo, hopefully that will be patched for VR right away. Other than that, Resident Evil 7 could be interesting (our in January, I think?). Everything else, I guess I'll have to wait for reviews and reports from you guys.

Is Ark: Survival a good game? What VR games are you looking forward to?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
61 Square Feet of clear space recommended for PSVR ?? I think that kills it for me before it's even out.

I don't understand this official requirement when the official word from Sony was it was recommended to sit and play with PSVR and if standing to not move around ?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
61 Square Feet of clear space recommended for PSVR ?? I think that kills it for me before it's even out.

I don't understand this official requirement when the official word from Sony was it was recommended to sit and play with PSVR and if standing to not move around ?

Probably depends on the title. Some titles you have to stand and turn and walk around a bit...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Probably depends on the title. Some titles you have to stand and turn and walk around a bit...
But 61 feet of clear space ? Finding enough space for Kinect or PS Camera was bad enough. Sadly if it's accurate I don't have the clear space to give it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I just renovate my home, luckily I try my best with the designer and squeeze out ~200 sq feet of free space for gaming (the project start 1 year ago, at that time, we have no idea how much space required), hopefully that's enough for the future VR game.

I would like to play VR games, but will hold for a while. The PS VR seems relatively limiting performance / function. HTC is much better, but lack of games.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

Yeah, I really don't get that...that's essentially 8 x 8 feet (about 2.4 x 2.4 meters)...that's not huge, but is quite a big area, it is basically a full grown person with their arms stretched out, PLUS another foot on each side.

My biggest concern: I want to be sitting! which was the original recommendation, right? I'm the type of person who would get all into a game and then trip and fall...and I'd be lucky not to fall onto the TV and/or kill myself!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yeah, I really don't get that...that's essentially 8 x 8 feet (about 2.4 x 2.4 meters)...that's not huge, but is quite a big area, it is basically a full grown person with their arms stretched out, PLUS another foot on each side.

My biggest concern: I want to be sitting! which was the original recommendation, right? I'm the type of person who would get all into a game and then trip and fall...and I'd be lucky not to fall onto the TV and/or kill myself!

AFAIK, it's not a square area, what Sony said is 3m x 1.9m area, the camera must at least 0.6m away from the plater. And that's the recommended space for a sat player.

playstation-vr-play-area-700x344.jpg.optimal.jpg

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Eh, I think it's too soon to panic about this. They need to cover their bases so they won't get sued for people knocking the hamster cage off their sideboard while in VR, so they "recommend" a soccer field just to be on the safe side. I bet you can play very comfortably sitting on the couch in most normal living room arrangements.

Reactions: h9826790

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Eh, I think it's too soon to panic about this. They need to cover their bases so they won't get sued for people knocking the hamster cage off their sideboard while in VR, so they "recommend" a soccer field just to be on the safe side. I bet you can play very comfortably sitting on the couch in most normal living room arrangements.

Yeah. At the Sony PSVR Demo at Bestbuy - they had set up an area of these exact dimensions....

Imagine knocking over that 55 Gallon fish tank... :eek:

;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For me the space requirement is simply too much of a gamble on a €400 device & €70-75 per game to discover after purchase that my room renders the thing near inoperational. That's why I've decided to cancel my pre-order.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In some country like mine cannot do that.
Exactly. Here once bought, it can not be returned only unless it's faulty and the games will not be accepted at all as returns meaning I'd only get trade in value back. Just not worth gambling. Easier to sit it out and see if others have issues. Launch titles look like typical demo expeeiences anyway ...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Gotcha. With Amazon Germany, we get 30 days to return it for any reason. So in essence, when I "preordered", I simply reserved myself a chance to try it out and see if I like it when it launches.

Not planning to buy a lot of games at launch, as of now. I have Trackmania Turbo, which I hope will be patched right away. Beyond that, I'll have to see which launch titles actually go beyond the "tech demo" status. Maybe Ark: Survival Evolved? Resident Evil 7 in January?

Reactions: blesscheese and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I cancelled the pre-order today and put the deposit towards my XB1 S trade up. Got my shiny new XB1S 2tb for €100 :)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I only interested in Ace Combat 7 so far. TBH, I will only play some games that are seated to play (e.g. flying, driving, etc). I will try to avoid anything that required to stand up and move. Space is not the biggest problem, but I don't like the wires, and IMO, those wires are more danger than the wall. I don't want to move with wires just next to my feet.

However, I really looking forward to simulate that sitting in a bubble canopy super fighter. And doing some crazy mission. In the old days, the biggest problem of playing Ace Combat is always the vision, right thumb stick just cannot do the job well. And VR is a perfect solution for that. If there is a good joystick, that will be great, but I am OK even if only joypad avail (rumour that advance joypad is coming). Hopefully they can do something better than the Elite controller, I love the elite controller, I love my XB1 more than the PS4 mainly due to controller, noise, and the UI. VR will fix the noise because of extra headset required. If they has something match the elite controller, I can accept the stupid UI (which is definitely not decided for selecting digitals games from HDD).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
For me the space requirement is simply too much of a gamble on a €400 device & €70-75 per game to discover after purchase that my room renders the thing near inoperational. That's why I've decided to cancel my pre-order.

Yeah. Comparing to when I demoed the Oculus Rift, I was simply standing next to the PC whereas on the PSVR, there are "lights" all over the headset (front sides and back) and the PS Eye had to be able to see exactly where you were at. Maybe if you are too close the Eye can't distinguish your movements as well.

Well I cancelled the pre-order today and put the deposit towards my XB1 S trade up. Got my shiny new XB1S 2tb for €100 :)

NICE!

Please post your thoughts in the XBox One S thread...

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
AFAIK, it's not a square area, what Sony said is 3m x 1.9m area, the camera must at least 0.6m away from the plater. And that's the recommended space for a sat player.

View attachment 642840

Well that's better (in some ways) than I thought. Still, this does seem to prohibit any *local* multiplayer type gaming, unless you have this set up in a really really large room (or only have 2 people...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.