Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Got a PSVR yesterday ($300 after trades and coupons - plus I had to buy a Camera, $40).

I love Space Sims, and saw that my favorite one, EVERSPACE, now has a VR mode.

I also found out someone wrote a driver to hook up the PSVR to a PC... :eek:

I had also bought PS4 Battlefront Ultimate Edition for $20, which has the PSVR game in it. Also, Battlezone is one of my favorite games, ever.

Initial impressions: WOW!!!

Got a demo disc with it and LOVE Battlezone (played it at a Best Buy Demo last September) and EVE.

Looking forward to Rigs (love Mech games). I ordered Battlezone used, and will pick up EVE at Gamestop with the coupon I got for buying the PSVR. I will get Rigs at a local used game/movie store I have credit at.

The only Con I can think of is that the unit is pretty pricey, $400 plus $40 for a total of $440, not to mention the cost of the PS4.

I wish it would be only $250 plus $40 for the camera would be the sweet spot, I guess would be this Fall/Holidays.

Gonna try tonight hooking it up to my gaming PC... :)

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Grats! Love my PSVR.

So far RE7 and Batman are my favorite games on it. Although Batman is short, this game just wowed me. I know VR isn't huge right now, but I'm really hoping it keeps going on the Playstation and that the launch of the Xbox One Scorpio later this year supports VR and it gets going there. I had zero interest in VR until I got the PSVR and now I love it.

Got a PSVR yesterday ($300 after trades and coupons - plus I had to buy a Camera, $40).

I love Space Sims, and saw that my favorite one, EVERSPACE, now has a VR mode.

I also found out someone wrote a driver to hook up the PSVR to a PC... :eek:

I had also bought PS4 Battlefront Ultimate Edition for $20, which has the PSVR game in it. Also, Battlezone is one of my favorite games, ever.

Initial impressions: WOW!!!

Got a demo disc with it and LOVE Battlezone (played it at a Best Buy Demo last September) and EVE.

Looking forward to Rigs (love Mech games). I ordered Battlezone used, and will pick up EVE at Gamestop with the coupon I got for buying the PSVR. I will get Rigs at a local used game/movie store I have credit at.

The only Con I can think of is that the unit is pretty pricey, $400 plus $40 for a total of $440, not to mention the cost of the PS4.

I wish it would be only $250 plus $40 for the camera would be the sweet spot, I guess would be this Fall/Holidays.

Gonna try tonight hooking it up to my gaming PC... :)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
VR headsets/kits desperately need to come down in price if they're gonna be mass adopted. I still believe Sony got the price of the PSVR wrong as well, and all PC headsets are way, way too expensive.

The way I see it, the PSVR should be £150, Samsung and Oculus coming in at about £350 and HTC Vive no more than £550. They're asking for too much for these headsets, it's not brand new technology anymore.

Reactions: Sensamic

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
VR headsets/kits desperately need to come down in price if they're gonna be mass adopted. I still believe Sony got the price of the PSVR wrong as well, and all PC headsets are way, way too expensive.

The way I see it, the PSVR should be £150, Samsung and Oculus coming in at about £350 and HTC Vive no more than £550. They're asking for too much for these headsets, it's not brand new technology anymore.

Of course, after I buy, Gamestop and Amazon (others will match) is (or maybe now were) giving a free PS4 Camera with the purchase of a PSVR - kinda helps a bit with the price of entry ($400).

Probably an imminent price drop or the Summer months (probably to $300).

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
With the Switch and Scorpio being the highlights this upcoming holiday season I really feel like Sony is going to do some great deal with a PS4/PSVR bundle. Or at least they should.

I got an entire kit (PSVR, camera, 2 move controllers, demo disc, and Playstation World game) for $400 total with tax/shipping at the beginning of the year. Deals are to be had if you're patient.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
With the Switch and Scorpio being the highlights this upcoming holiday season I really feel like Sony is going to do some great deal with a PS4/PSVR bundle. Or at least they should.

I got an entire kit (PSVR, camera, 2 move controllers, demo disc, and Playstation World game) for $400 total with tax/shipping at the beginning of the year. Deals are to be had if you're patient.

They'll have to with the announcement of Scorpio - they will announce PS5 to try to thwart it (Sony did the same at the Sega Dreamcast Launch - announcing a "theoretical" PS2, causing many to skip the Dreamcast and wait even though the PS2 was 6 months away).

Unfortunately, I'm having problems hooking up my PSVR to my PC. Getting a strange error.

I don't feel too bad - I can still use it on a PS4 which is what consoles are all about, just being "turn-key".

The error I'm getting looks to be the same strange error that some HTC Vive owners are getting, and the is an actual PC VR headset that's a lot more expensive.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
The latest PSVR update added 3D Movie Blu-ray support. I've been buying the 3D versions of BR for some time now (they also come with the standard BR disc).

To upgrade my DYI HT I would have needed a newer projector (they'r reasonable) but have to re-wire for HDMI (my wiring is Component) and get a new screen (I have a basic screen that is not compatible with 3D imaging). Too costly. The industry also discontinued 3D features for LCD TV's.

Using what I already own is great - the PSVR is comfortable. Gonna watch through a whole movie to see how it goes.

I watched a bit of TRON Legacy 3D on it - so, so cool...

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
The latest PSVR update added 3D Movie Blu-ray support. I've been buying the 3D versions of BR for some time now (they also come with the standard BR disc).

To upgrade my DYI HT I would have needed a newer projector (they'r reasonable) but have to re-wire for HDMI (my wiring is Component) and get a new screen (I have a basic screen that is not compatible with 3D imaging). Too costly. The industry also discontinued 3D features for LCD TV's.

Using what I already own is great - the PSVR is comfortable. Gonna watch through a whole movie to see how it goes.

I watched a bit of TRON Legacy 3D on it - so, so cool...
I was happy to hear about the 3D movie support for the PSVR, hoping to use it when I eventually pick one up. Sadly the industry is starting to move away from supporting 3D televisions. They are still out there though! My wife and I picked one up last year, a 4K LG tv.

Just out of curiosity, you said your screen wouldn't be compatible with 3D projections. Is this just due to not enough light being bounced back at you? I'm afraid that my knowledge of home theatre setups is rather limited. I would have guessed that by using a projector, you would simply need to replace that and be set to go.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Just out of curiosity, you said your screen wouldn't be compatible with 3D projections. Is this just due to not enough light being bounced back at you? I'm afraid that my knowledge of home theatre setups is rather limited. I would have guessed that by using a projector, you would simply need to replace that and be set to go.

Yes. I have the "basic white" screen, and you need a highly reflective one that reflects back the polarity of light for each of the frames if you use polarizing technology or more than average reflection if you use shutter technology, since you are wearing glasses that cut down on the light you are receiving.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Someone is selling me their PSVR + camera for just 200€, half the price of both things if bought new here.

I'm still not sure though, due to the quality of the imaging inside the VR headset and the games so far.

It's a great price though, but there are many people selling them second hand here. Probably people that didn't ended liking it.

On the other hand, I could use those 200€ + 84€ more to buy the Switch, which will probably offer me more in the long run.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Someone is selling me their PSVR + camera for just 200€, half the price of both things if bought new here.

I'm still not sure though, due to the quality of the imaging inside the VR headset and the games so far.

It's a great price though, but there are many people selling them second hand here. Probably people that didn't ended liking it.

On the other hand, I could use those 200€ + 84€ more to buy the Switch, which will probably offer me more in the long run.

I would try one of those headsets that use your phone to see if you like VR (starts at only $20 around here).

I had tried the ViewMaster VR (got it on sale for $17) and found out I love VR.

If you like the VR headset, I would still sort of wait for the PSVR2, or a price drop on the current one which will probably happen at E3.

Go get a Switch - it's awesome...
[doublepost=1496244844][/doublepost]btw - I watched my first movie on PSVR - "TRON Legacy".

Yes, quite different than wearing glasses and looking at a screen.

I found myself having to take breaks. Movies at home I take a break anyways (from childhood when movies had "Intermission" in the middle).

I was hoping to go for a full hour so only one break in the middle, but found I can only go for about 45 minutes meaning I had to take 2 breaks. Hoping to go a full hour, though.

Ultimately, movies are better with just a pair of glasses...

With standalone devices (that have cellphone parts in them) and ones you can use your smartphone, I would think you can start just downloading these 3D movies and watch them on these devices...

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I would try one of those headsets that use your phone to see if you like VR (starts at only $20 around here).

I had tried the ViewMaster VR (got it on sale for $17) and found out I love VR.

If you like the VR headset, I would still sort of wait for the PSVR2, or a price drop on the current one which will probably happen at E3.

Go get a Switch - it's awesome...
[doublepost=1496244844][/doublepost]btw - I watched my first movie on PSVR - "TRON Legacy".

Yes, quite different than wearing glasses and looking at a screen.

I found myself having to take breaks. Movies at home I take a break anyways (from childhood when movies had "Intermission" in the middle).

I was hoping to go for a full hour so only one break in the middle, but found I can only go for about 45 minutes meaning I had to take 2 breaks. Hoping to go a full hour, though.

Ultimately, movies are better with just a pair of glasses...

With standalone devices (that have cellphone parts in them) and ones you can use your smartphone, I would think you can start just downloading these 3D movies and watch them on these devices...
I've tried the PSVR several times. At first I was really really impressed, but last time I tried them I started to see the inconveniences, like the narrow field of view and the low resolution.

I really like the shark demo and I've tried other games too, but I don't see much interesting aside from resident evil 7. I'm not too interested in farpoint.

I would also like to watch 3D movies on it.

Are there already rumors on PSVR 2??? It's been only 8 months since release!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I would also like to watch 3D movies on it.

Are there already rumors on PSVR 2??? It's been only 8 months since release!

It is nice to use what I have to watch my 3D movies (been buying them in the hopes to have a 3D TV or projector one day). Plus I use my PSVR on my PC.

There's some buzz around the PSVR2 but will probably be in conjunction with the PS5...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I had gotten my PSVR working on my PC in Steam. I tried 2 games, EVERSPACE and House of the Dying Sun.

Verdict: Stick to VR on Consoles - VR NEEDS TO BE TURN-KEY... :eek:

Stuggles:

1. Hooking up my PSVR to a PC is "sort of" a pain as I'm using a independently developed driver. It works - sorta - by doing this and that and finally getting Steam to properly recognize it and send the game video to it. All it takes to break VR working is an update in Steam VR, Videocard Driver, or Windows (of course, welcome to PC Gaming).

2. Some games are made for VR, some are not, some are "both". EVERSPACE is gorgeous and looks like VR was tacked onto it. Because of the gorgeous graphics and intense gameplay, my RX 470 card struggles on "Low" setting. Recommended is an RX 480/nVidia 1060, but I don't see anything less than an RX Vega (AMD's next gen card) or an nVidia 1070 (higher end versions) needed to run this game on "High" in VR (I'm used to "Epic" at 1080p). House of the Dying Sun looks awesome in VR, but the graphics are way more simplistic compared to EVERSPACE and it looks like the devs had VR play-ability in mind when the developed the game. HOTDS looks good even on lower end cards/systems.

3. I would rather play/experience VR, than trying to get it working. I've had no problems, obviously, playing it on my PS4, plus those games are optimized for PS4 console to look good in VR.

Well, it was good experience. I don't plan on playing VR on my PC. Will eventually go into a 3 monitor setup - which I know (from store demos) is the way I want to go on my desk.

On the couch, VR on a console with games made for it work just great.

I'm glad I didn't invest in a PC VR system - not worth the hassles for all that money it would've costed...

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Today I was able to play Farpoint a little bit on a shop that had a demo with the aim controller.

I played a challenge mode and in just a minute I got so so nauseous I literally was about to fell to the floor!!

Never before I had this experience with the PSVR, and I've played with it several times, with several demos, and never before had nauseas. So many people have said they've felt it but I didn't fully understood it until now.

The aim controller has two sticks to move the character and to look around, just like the PS4 dualshock controller, so this combined with the headset it just felt TERRIBLE very fast.

On shooters I kind of move a lot the camera, so I was moving it with the stick in the aim controller while at the same time I was looking around with the headset and seriously, I almost felt to my right side! No joke!

I had to stop playing, take off the headset to see where I was and after a minute try again. The guy there told me he was able to play for 2 hours straight at his home with no problem.

I was considering buying a PSVR at some point, but now I don't know. I'm almost certain I can't play Farpoint now and maybe other games like this one where you move the character and camera with the controller while with the headset you look around.

Never ever in my life I felt this nauseous in just under a minute. Unbelievable.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Today I was able to play Farpoint a little bit on a shop that had a demo with the aim controller.
I had to stop playing, take off the headset to see where I was and after a minute try again. The guy there told me he was able to play for 2 hours straight at his home with no problem.

I was considering buying a PSVR at some point, but now I don't know. I'm almost certain I can't play Farpoint now and maybe other games like this one where you move the character and camera with the controller while with the headset you look around.

Never ever in my life I felt this nauseous in just under a minute. Unbelievable.

Looking at some of the reviews - some people can play Farpoint without becoming motion sick by just sitting on the couch instead of standing.

Yes, with PSVR, you should really download a demo of the game (or get it used at Gamestop where you can return in within 7 days for a full refund) to see if the game gets you nauseous or the VR simply is not worth it...

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I think it's just individual based for each game. Some games cause it and some don't. I have played a lot of different games on my PSVR now and only one has done this to me (Driveclub).

I played a challenge mode and in just a minute I got so so nauseous I literally was about to fell to the floor!!

Never before I had this experience with the PSVR, and I've played with it several times, with several demos, and never before had nauseas. So many people have said they've felt it but I didn't fully understood it until now.

The aim controller has two sticks to move the character and to look around, just like the PS4 dualshock controller, so this combined with the headset it just felt TERRIBLE very fast.

On shooters I kind of move a lot the camera, so I was moving it with the stick in the aim controller while at the same time I was looking around with the headset and seriously, I almost felt to my right side! No joke!

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I recently got to try a MS Hololens at a trade show. Technology works well, but the actual AR window you see is pretty small. Once they improve that, it will be an awesome piece of tech.

I still think AR has more future than VR. The applications and possibilities are more varied and interesting to me, especially outside of gaming.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm happy with my PSVR, but I don't play on it that much, because of the long list of awesome non-VR games... Playing AC: Origins atm, still got FC5 and GoW left... I need to quit my dayjob and start playing full-time to keep up with these releases... #FirstWorldProblems

Nevertheless: gonna buy Moss and play it. I played the demo and it was so awesome to see that little mouse run around in front of you :)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
So how many people still use their PSVR on a regular basis? I returned mine four weeks after I bought it at launch, and I have seen no reason to regret it. It's just so much of a hassle to use in my living room, and the games simply are not there for me. I was rightfully wary when Sony stopped calling them "games" and started calling them "experiences". :D

How are the Skyrim and Doom VR versions? Do they feature free movement, or 90 degree turning jumps like some other games?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.