Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
In general, what causes the dizziness that some people are experiencing? Is it uneven framerate, or just some people don't like FPS perspectives?

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
In general, what causes the dizziness that some people are experiencing? Is it uneven framerate, or just some people don't like FPS perspectives?

I'm not sure what examples you have seen/heard. I have heard examples that simply putting something in the game display, like a fake nose (or something similar, a bodily reference point of some sort) cut down on people feeling dizzy/nauseous. I think developers are figuring all this as we go along.

This may be similar to the problem in the early 90's where some people had difficulty playing FPS on regular computer screens. There was something about watching something on the screen that may be "too realistic" (a colleague complained of the "up and down" running movement in Doom) and the sensory information not matching your kinesthetic experience of your body currently in space...I think a certain small percentage of the population is likely to have a similar problem with VR.

I'm not sure of a good recent example, but have you ever seen a film clip/video of an aircraft making sudden maneuvers? You get about 80% of your body's experiences in space from your eyes...it could be very disorienting for some people to do things in VR, and some people may never get used to it.

I don't typically get dizzy, but with something like this, I want to be sitting down. I'm the kind of person who, if I close my eyes and walk, will pretty much immediately stumble.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I played 10 minutes of RIGS today at the IFA. It's not really my type of game, and I don't think I will buy it. But I have to admit, the experience is pretty badass! Very immersive, it really sucks you right into the arena. Well done!

As for the VR goggles, for some reason the picture was very sharp in the center of the screen and got blurry towards the top and bottom. Hopefully I just hadn't adjusted it right, didn't really have much time for fine-tuning. It's surprisingly comfy though!

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I played 10 minutes of RIGS today at the IFA. It's not really my type of game, and I don't think I will buy it. But I have to admit, the experience is pretty badass! Very immersive, it really sucks you right into the arena. Well done!

As for the VR goggles, for some reason the picture was very sharp in the center of the screen and got blurry towards the top and bottom. Hopefully I just hadn't adjusted it right, didn't really have much time for fine-tuning. It's surprisingly comfy though!

Definitely requires some fiddling to get the clearest picture I've found. But once you have it set, it's pretty easy and natural to find the sweet spot.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Just got an email from Amazon that my PS VR will be delivered on launch day, Oct 13th! :)

I haven't ordered any games to go with it, will have to play around with the demos first until Trackmania gets patched.

Reactions: blesscheese and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just got an email from Amazon that my PS VR will be delivered on launch day, Oct 13th! :)

I haven't ordered any games to go with it, will have to play around with the demos first until Trackmania gets patched.
Looking forward to your thoughts. I cancelled my pre-order and decided to wait and see what reaction and any potential end user issues crop up. If it looks good i may pick one up at same time as my PS4 Pro.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Looking forward to your thoughts. I cancelled my pre-order and decided to wait and see what reaction and any potential end user issues crop up. If it looks good i may pick one up at same time as my PS4 Pro.

Was thinking the same thing and giving it some time.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Thanks for the reminder. Let me go cancel my preorder now. Really have no real interest in VR. I got the Samsung Gear VR free with a Galaxy S7. Actually the S7 itself was free too :D I'll go play with that if I feel a sudden urge :p

I remember back in late mid-late 90's, a friend received a VR for a Christmas gift from his wife. I believe it cost close to $1000 back then. As you can imagine, it was quite crude. I actually felt the pain in my wallet and it wasn't even my money lol.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
First PS VR games are getting reviewed. Seems like most of them are really...short. o_O Some of the experiences like Arkham sound really intense though.
Yeah the batman sounds cool, but then i think €30 for a 1 hour run through is a heck of a lot of money.

The good news though is that it seems to work well and give it till the 2nd wave of games land in 6 months or so and it will be a really sweet bit of kit.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I cancelled my PSVR order. I still don't know whether to go for Vive or PSVR. I think if they hack in PSVR support for PC I'll get that, the thought of no dot pitch sounds excellent to me, and of course the comfort of the headset.

I'm waiting for more games to support it too. Minecraft and GTAV (likely requiring a PS4 Pro) would make me do it... I'm not even a huge fan of Minecraft but having tried it on the Oculus Nazi... I mean Oculus Rift years ago I thought it was really neat.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Since Microsoft owns Minecraft now, I think it's very unlikely we will ever see PS VR support. Minecraft VR will be their killer app on the Scorpio.

Which really sucks, as I LOVE Minecraft. :(

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Since Microsoft owns Minecraft now, I think it's very unlikely we will ever see PS VR support. Minecraft VR will be their killer app on the Scorpio.

Which really sucks, as I LOVE Minecraft. :(
Oh I know buuuut I think it'll happen after MS has VR mode. I also believe MS is in the process of getting Oculus or Vive support for their systems.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I cancelled my PSVR order. I still don't know whether to go for Vive or PSVR. I think if they hack in PSVR support for PC I'll get that, the thought of no dot pitch sounds excellent to me, and of course the comfort of the headset.

I'm waiting for more games to support it too. Minecraft and GTAV (likely requiring a PS4 Pro) would make me do it... I'm not even a huge fan of Minecraft but having tried it on the Oculus Nazi... I mean Oculus Rift years ago I thought it was really neat.

No!!!!! I was hoping for your review!

Right now, the Vive looks really hot to me. But the ease of having a console VR set up (like a PS4) is very appealing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No!!!!! I was hoping for your review!

Right now, the Vive looks really hot to me. But the ease of having a console VR set up (like a PS4) is very appealing.
That's what the decision is for me too.

PS4 feels like it's going to have wider official support... at least in the early years, and there's the chance other games might be updated to support it. There's less requirement in terms of space and hardware to get going. It's cheaper, has a much nicer display. But who knows how long before there's a 2nd model, or if we're going to need to upgrade to PS4K to enable VR mode in future-titles. And the 3D sound effect is sublime! Will it ever be hacked to play on PC or Mac?

Vive though. Costs more, display isn't as great but has a higher resolution at least. There's modding and hacking too. It's the Rolls Royce of the VR experience. It feels much more refined to the point I can't imagine what the next generation one will have right now, short of a similar OLED display to the PSVR.

And now I can't make up my mind. My own personal thing here is I'd need to buy a VR-capable PC. I've priced one up and it'd cost the same as a high-end iMac, something I was planning on replacing my 5 year old iMac with. So for me it's do I want to leave the Mac system for VR.

(but oh hey in the meantime I recently discovered you can fully emulate a VR Boy with red/blue 3D glasses!)

Last edited:
Reactions: blesscheese

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
My nephew received his PSVR today. Now he's out to buy a camera... :D

Will probably hear his first impressions tonight.

Amazon said they'd deliver mine on launch day, but I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
That's what the decision is for me too.

PS4 feels like it's going to have wider official support... at least in the early years, and there's the chance other games might be updated to support it. There's less requirement in terms of space and hardware to get going. It's cheaper, has a much nicer display. But who knows how long before there's a 2nd model, or if we're going to need to upgrade to PS4K to enable VR mode in future-titles. And the 3D sound effect is sublime! Will it ever be hacked to play on PC or Mac?

Vive though. Costs more, display isn't as great but has a higher resolution at least. There's modding and hacking too. It's the Rolls Royce of the VR experience. It feels much more refined to the point I can't imagine what the next generation one will have right now, short of a similar OLED display to the PSVR.

And now I can't make up my mind. My own personal thing here is I'd need to buy a VR-capable PC. I've priced one up and it'd cost the same as a high-end iMac, something I was planning on replacing my 5 year old iMac with. So for me it's do I want to leave the Mac system for VR.

(but oh hey in the meantime I recently discovered you can fully emulate a VR Boy with red/blue 3D glasses!)

LOL, I've been meaning to dig up my pair of red/blue 3d glasses.

I just bought a used 2010 Mac Pro to run Star Citizen in. Slapped a Nvidia 1060 in it. With that in there, the one benchmarking program ranked my overall rig as 80th percentile, and the graphics card weighed in at 92nd percentile.

I'll likely just build my next PC, as it is really much cheaper, assembly is much easier than ever.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
My PSVR arrived yesterday. I hope I will at least get around to unbox it this weekend! :p
I'd say you could send it to me and I'll take a look, but I'll be out of town... I'm intrigued to hear the reviews from our fellow members though. I sadly haven't had an opportunity to play with any of the VR headsets, not even the Gear VR.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Set it up tonight. Holy hell, lots of cables!

Tech is impressive. Game demos are okay, nothing really for me at this point. The Ocean Descent thing is very cool, but that's not really a game, you just look around. I tried Wayward Sky, Eve Valkyrie and RE7 The Kitchen. All good tech demos, but meh as games.

Not sure if I will keep it. Hopefully the PSN store will get more demos soon. It's too expensive for a gimmick, so if the games don't convince me beyond being good tech demos, it's going back.
[doublepost=1476481064][/doublepost]I have to admit though, the thing is pretty comfortable to wear. It's a little tricky to find the sweet spot for a sharp image, but the overall setup was very easy.

Lag is not noticeable, which is impressive. It really is very immersive. I'm just not sure yet how much time I really want to spend gaming with that thing on my head. I guess what I really need is a VR game that can hold my interest. (Like Minecraft. Damn you, Microsoft!)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Am I the only one who got a PSVR?

I found I can download the US Demo Disc through my US PSN account. It has twice as many demos as the EU disc, so I have a few more different things I can try out to evaluate this gizmo. Also Trackmania will get patched before my 30 day return period is up.

Only problem: With a one year old in the house, it's kind of never a good time to disappear in the VR goggles! :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Am I the only one who got a PSVR?

I found I can download the US Demo Disc through my US PSN account. It has twice as many demos as the EU disc, so I have a few more different things I can try out to evaluate this gizmo. Also Trackmania will get patched before my 30 day return period is up.

Only problem: With a one year old in the house, it's kind of never a good time to disappear in the VR goggles! :D
Lol, yeah the rest of us seemingly cancelled our pre-orders. I mostly because I can see getting so advantageous use from PS4 pro this year, but we will likely won't see decent PS-VR titles for a number of months. Not sure the initial dirth of mini titles is enough to sustain or value for money as we wait for the proper content to arrive.

I'll pick on up next year :)

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I haven't tried VR yet but I'm thinking about the PSVR. But I don't think there are games for me. Driveclub VR is apparently not an addon for the original game which is a bummer. Tumble VR looks cool but I never really played the original either. Shooters aren't my thing so what's left to play?

The headset can be used for all games in a virtual screen mode to my understanding. Maybe thats cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.