Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'll be 3D printing a few of these in white and black.
b9e89fadfc08a35bea68bb748c81f687_preview_card.jpg

Reactions: Craig6078

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Customised this H&M Home tray to store my Hermes straps. Not perfect, a second attempt would yield a better result, but really happy with how it turned out!

View attachment 2091580

View attachment 2091581
Now that's interesting! I think for more of an Apple look you'd want to go with a plastic tray instead, but that'll be harder to find. I think the wood feels more luxury, which is what you want with Hermes.

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
I have started using the box my Bandwerk leather strap came in.
I’ve got five straps/bands in it at the moment and can probably fit another if needed!
6089357C-E50C-4712-B288-C58608B09E29.jpeg
12D6D992-3F11-49D0-8838-28EB66D0338C.jpeg
C1C10594-AE4A-4701-8DBE-4495A725019D.jpeg

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
As well as the Von Holzhausen case above, I also bought their pouch as well. My initial impressions are that the case was designed for the smaller size watch bands (41 and 44mm) the "pointy ends" (for want of better words) stick above the display compartments and touch the lid when it is closed. On the Apple website, it also shows a watch being stored in the case, it is a tight fit (very), so much so that I wouldn't trust doing it to my watch in case it damages it.

The pouch is a lot cheaper and in my eyes, seems to be a lot more versatile, I currently have my small collection of 7 bands and my series 8 Apple Watch stored quite comfortably with space for another strap. Obviously it is not as good at displaying the straps but that is (imo) a small price to pay.

Given my time again, I would buy two of the pouches, they are excellent.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 10.45.49.png
Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 10.46.52.png

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Loooooooong time reader. First time caller.

Firstly, love this forum. So many useful conversations (also some bordering on wtf 😁)

But any way, I think I have a problem. LoL
I've thought of using a watch box, in fact my first ever storage solution was veeery similar to this. I had some IKEA drawer inserts that bowed them up as if they were sitting on something and it looked like this. The dimensions werent perfect though.

I want something like this:
5f7cd88830202029e61efe0d544ab947--watch-display-case-watch-storage.jpg

Reactions: Student of Life

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
I also want something to store and display my alternate bands along with my watch, but couldn't find a good option, so I created the below.

What do you guys think? Just artwork at present, but strongly considering prototyping and/or building this product.

Would sincerely appreciate any feedback, even if you think both concepts suck ;-)

View attachment 641146 View attachment 641147 View attachment 641148

That looks awesome. Did you end up purchasing one?

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire

I'm a big fan of the Von Holzhausen pouch, as well. Makes it so easy to travel with a couple of bands and maybe an older watch for sleep tracking. One thing I found, too, is that the Apple Duo fits perfectly into the back pocket of the pouch when the charger is unfolded. You can't get the power adapter in there, but boy does it make for a tidy road warrior kit!

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Just received the customised 3D-printed band holders I ordered from Etsy. Absolutely delighted with how they organise and show off my bands.

View attachment 2167107
While it's an awesome model, I did some digging, and I believe this to be a remix on Ben's Apple Watch Strap Holder on Printables. The designer listed it as noncommercial, so the person who sold you this model is doing so in bad faith. (It's also illegal, but it's not like you'll get arrested for it.)

Shame on them.

Reactions: Ben_Robots

mrspooney

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
While it's an awesome model, I did some digging, and I believe this to be a remix on Ben's Apple Watch Strap Holder on Printables. The designer listed it as noncommercial, so the person who sold you this model is doing so in bad faith. (It's also illegal, but it's not like you'll get arrested for it.)

Shame on them.
The person who uploaded the design on Printables is the same person I purchased these from, so no bad faith, illegality, or shame 😊. Ben is a really nice guy, and was incredibly helpful and patient in customising these for me.

• Love
Reactions: mikedop

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
The person who uploaded the design on Printables is the same person I purchased these from, so no bad faith, illegality, or shame 😊. Ben is a really nice guy, and was incredibly helpful and patient in customising these for me.
Ah, good to know you bought directly! There's so many sellers on etsy and similar sites just stealing models from thingiverse and printables and its so hard to find the designers (if they even sell their own models) that most people just go with the first result. It's why I don't post my models. Don't need someone with a 3D printer farm to just come and steal my design and sell it for profit.

mrspooney

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
Ah, good to know you bought directly! There's so many sellers on etsy and similar sites just stealing models from thingiverse and printables and its so hard to find the designers (if they even sell their own models) that most people just go with the first result. It's why I don't post my models. Don't need someone with a 3D printer farm to just come and steal my design and sell it for profit.
Yeah I bet, what sleazy behaviour. I didn't give it any thought, so was relieved when I clicked your link and saw the designer was the person I had purchased from! I will definitely give it more consideration in the future.

• Love
Reactions: mikedop

Ben_Robots

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2023
Hey MacRumours forum - and mrspooney!

Hope this post is OK - I'm the seller (and designer!) of the Watch Band holder referenced above. I was browsing my stats this month and saw a spike in traffic coming from over here. Much confusion of course but I put two and two together. I saw the word "bad faith" and I panicked!

and I believe this to be a remix on Ben's Apple Watch Strap Holder on Printables

This is indeed my design - (hopefully you'll see the same profile photo on printables and etsy) I'm a big fan of sharing designs where I can, for those with the right tools and capabilities - but also sell (some of) the finished product too. I'm not super keen on licensing STLs themselves, but open to people using the designs I make for free. (Maybe I should link between the two sites on each listing to remove confusion - not sure of the best practice on that!)

Benefit of that is it gives me the opportunity to make more customised designs from the source file than those who just have the STL.

(The other side of that, is I'm looking to get some machined in Aluminium but I haven't had the chance to source that yet....)

Ben is a really nice guy, and was incredibly helpful and patient in customising these for me.

Daww, shucks. Really appreciate the positivity and spreading the word - honestly means a lot :)

Anyway - hope it's not innapropriate posting here. Just wanted to add my 2 pennies worth!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.