Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G35flyer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
My travel case.

53F2B8B8-4036-4E1E-A447-7CD828B0A741.jpeg

outsidah

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010

G35flyer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
Reactions: Javabird

brecode

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2021
Made this from an old photo frame (was white initially). Bought a leather patch from amazon, had some self-adhesive wallpaper for furniture, from another DIY project, to give it a wood/leather feel and found the strap holder on the Container store.

Total budget = under 12$ :) Pretty happy with the result

Attachments

• tray.jpg
    tray.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 311

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand

brecode

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2021
OMG! I think I have just found the box for I have been looking for. Thank you for sharing :)
I agree. If you don't have tons of bands then this is perfect. I was actually about to get it but the DIY nature of mine stopped me.

If you dig light blue colors there is one available on mercari (maybe you can negotiate on the shipping part too, seems a bit to much)

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I was actually about to get it but the DIY nature of mine stopped me.
that’s how I am. I either want the actual OEM solutions Apple uses in-store or I want to build my own solution. For a while about a year ago I was really into the idea of creating my own 3D printed system with interchangeable slots and labels. Kind of fell through though for unrelated reasons. I should get back to designing something like that soon.

Reactions: athousandbands

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
that’s how I am. I either want the actual OEM solutions Apple uses in-store or I want to build my own solution. For a while about a year ago I was really into the idea of creating my own 3D printed system with interchangeable slots and labels. Kind of fell through though for unrelated reasons. I should get back to designing something like that soon.
Well here I am, actually doing the thing.

I've designed and printed a rail system with interchangeable band mounts (currently only compatible with sport bands, but I'll create mounts for other styles soon) that easily pop in and out, or slide out, depending on how you want to use it.

This version saves about 1.5g of plastic per band over other 3D printable solutions I've seen due to its compact design and allows you to quickly move bands over with no effort. Makes organizing a collection much easier.

I'm still trying to improve on the design, so let's call this a first generation design. I'll play with it a bit more once I've been using it for a while and can recognize problem areas.

Last edited:

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Posting this photo here before I lose it again. Apple stores used to have these band trays in the drawers of the watch table, but they got phased out from what I can tell. This is the only picture I've ever seen of one. They're like a miniature version of the big band walls you'll see in bigger stores. I need it!

IMG_2545.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.