Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Given I still think the device has hundreds more industrial applications than it does civil ones I would like an app that works like a virtual Haines manual for repairing workshop equipment.

Because the AVP immerses you in a realtime recreation of your actual surroundings rather than offering true passthrough (ie things suspended in a pane of glass) it could scan a piece of machinery that has IOT sensors inside and then overlay a reverse lego manual-type interface telling you what part to remove and when. It can then float a small YouTube video in the corner describing the repair process before putting the machine back together again.

Going one further a whole suite of diagnostic sensors would allow me to gaze around my lab and see small floating windows on top of every piece of hardware telling me any errors, who last used it, when calibration is due, expired safety checks and so-on. None of this would require some sort of centralised spreadsheet; every machine would know all this data.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
I think a spatial canvassing / painting app could be super fun.
That'd be neat.
I would love something that could give instruction on drawing or painting on a physical surface that's not an iPad.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
But if you have a Vision Pro which is a full computer with a M2 chip, then why would you then also need a M2 Mac as well?
1. Software - VP will be an elevated iPad at launch in terms of software. If you can live off an iPad today, you should be fine using VP.
2. Ports - how do you connect a DAW to a VP? Or external storage? Or a camera to offload footage? A dedicated mac can just be connected to all those things, and you connect to it remotely via the VP.

Reactions: cardfan

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
1. Software - VP will be an elevated iPad at launch in terms of software. If you can live off an iPad today, you should be fine using VP.
2. Ports - how do you connect a DAW to a VP? Or external storage? Or a camera to offload footage? A dedicated mac can just be connected to all those things, and you connect to it remotely via the VP.
I've not seen a clear answer to this yet, perhaps no-one outside of Apple knows yet.
But as we thinking that Apple will block you from using your Mac software on a Vision Pro via a floating screen / multiple screens.

Brings up some interesting thoughts.
Should I sit down in my chair and use a limited version of an app written for an iPad type machine in a floating window, or should I just connect to my iMac/MacBook and use that in a floating window instead?

The Vision Pro then just being basically a remote screen as opposed to running the program.

With something like a Quest 3 for example, you can run apps locally on the device or use software like Virtual Desktop/Steam to see your computers monitor screen at any size in front of you and use that.

Honestly I would be shocked if Apple were stupid enough to block this from working and all software had to run locally with perhaps just cloud access to your data files.

But perhaps they are going to do this to FORCE devs to write apps that must run on the Vison Pro locally.
This will be interesting to see.

markrich1682

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
Don't want to steal another's idea but got this from Apple Community forum I think:
He suggested putting the processors in the external battery pack, makes the headset lighter, offers hardware upgrade potential. My suggestion is you could add a C charge port on the external pack so if you are a heavy user you could use AC power vs. draining the battery pack. I guess now it morphs into a Mac mini with headset, just thinking out load.

Reactions: 4sallypat

markrich1682

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
At some point will VPro support virtual multiple shared content, i.e. if I'm presenting a VR item or other software, could others interact in real time and type, manipulate, markup etc.?? The ultimate group work opportunity. Thinking medical applications would allow surgical planning collaboration, engineering, etc.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Don't want to steal another's idea but got this from Apple Community forum I think:
He suggested putting the processors in the external battery pack, makes the headset lighter, offers hardware upgrade potential. My suggestion is you could add a C charge port on the external pack so if you are a heavy user you could use AC power vs. draining the battery pack. I guess now it morphs into a Mac mini with headset, just thinking out load.
There is a USB-C charge port on the external pack right now.

Reactions: markrich1682

hyperreal

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2021
Finland
I hope we will some day have an app that can cure stereoblindness. There has been some preliminary research into this in the VR field but maybe AR/MR combined with the passthrough quality of the Vision Pro will offer a new way to approach the problem.

It would be a medical breakthrough.

Reactions: 4sallypat

TarkinDale

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Australia
Wishful thinking here, but...
The ultimate author app.
Create timelines, character cards, scenes, maps, story bibles etc. that float in the air. Easily move, swap, insert etc. Having everything visible at once would be amazing.

TarkinDale

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Australia
For engineering, I think AR will be a big element. Imagine looking at a machine and the AR brings up an overlayed blueprint, electrical pathways, steps to repair or replace etc. It could reduce mistakes and speed up the process. If it could connect to the system diagnostics, it could also diagnose problems.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
At some point will VPro support virtual multiple shared content, i.e. if I'm presenting a VR item or other software, could others interact in real time and type, manipulate, markup etc.?? The ultimate group work opportunity. Thinking medical applications would allow surgical planning collaboration, engineering, etc.
This functionality impressed me on the MS HoloLens when I gave that a try last year. If Apple doesn't capitalize on that with built in functionality in FaceTime or other tools I'm sure someone will do it through 3rd party apps. It seems like a huge space to develop in.

AVP - Apple Vision Pr0n
If that's what you want it for, I suspect you'll probably have to make do with websites & downloaded 3D content or hope some dev sneaks it past Apple's review process. At least until someone forces Apple to allow side loading of sketchy smutty apps.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
I work in music production. I have many crucial apps that may not be ready for visionOS.

If that's true, I know for sure they will run on a Mac. I think I will be able to use the Vision Pro as the monitor which will give me a big beautiful interface.
What about sound mixing though without proper speakers.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
For engineering, I think AR will be a big element. Imagine looking at a machine and the AR brings up an overlayed blueprint, electrical pathways, steps to repair or replace etc. It could reduce mistakes and speed up the process. If it could connect to the system diagnostics, it could also diagnose problems.
Sounds like a big dream, the software would have to use the to view the item with the camera, then identify everything. We don't even have self driving apple cars.

TarkinDale

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Australia
Sounds like a big dream, the software would have to use the to view the item with the camera, then identify everything. We don't even have self driving apple cars.
I see why you'd think that, but I believe the situation is different. A car has to deal with a huge range of objects in unknown positions. For an object like say an industrial dynamo or something, the parts will be know, the correct placement will be known, and there could always be QR like code additions to help. The manufacturer should have the schematics for the parts as well. It's a much simpler concept, and a company will only need to focus on the items their app is meant to help with.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
This is a thread for throwing around app ideas for the Vision Pro. App ideas you have or would like to see.

Personally, I'm trying to think of apps that almost anyone could use with no external equipment (or at least optional), and that aren't necessarily "obvious" or built-in uses of the technology.

For example I'm not including things like live cave or underwater exploration which would certainly be a great use, but would require specialized equipment to facilitate. Nor am I including things like flight sims, VR gaming (done to death already), or vanilla conferencing.

But if you want to contribute those kinds of app ideas, feel free. Here are some that come to mind for me.

Historical Reconstruction
• View a AR/VR recreation of an object/street/structure, adjustable between an overlay on top of the existing view and a full VR view

Archaeological
• Pit/Trench Camera for reconstructing a dig
• Live photogrammetry & 3D modeling

Zoological encounters
• View and interact with a variety of existing or extinct animals (similar to Apple's butterfly & dinosaur encounters)

Realty & Architecture
• VR property tours
• Design and explore structures
• Re-imagine an existing home or workspace with live changes including moved furniture and changing the flooring, paint, or other features

Wardrobe
• Visualize and walk around yourself to see how you'd look with different clothing, shoes, glasses, jewelry and haircuts

Physique, Fitness, Physical Therapy
• Visualize yourself from all angles with desired weight or muscle gain/loss
• Perform bodyscans throughout a fitness process and see the progress you've made
• See how an exercise is properly performed from any angle, watch an expert (or have an expert watch you) to refine technique
• Posture analyisis & correction
• Preview a hike, walk or run to familiarize yourself with the area before taking it
• Forelimb mobility assessment & analysis

Tourism
• Preview hotels, beaches, parks, historical sites, etc to plan a perfect trip ahead of time
• Enhanced tours (museum, gallery, etc) with interactive content and object look-up

Education
• Virtually attend any lecture from anywhere, anytime in an immersive classroom experience
• Explore scientific concepts in full detail and from all angles from cellular structure to physiology
• Practice public speaking in an interactive environment
• Learn foreign languages in a more natural way, practicing and interacting in an immersive environment and real life situations

Sports
• Swing analysis (tennis, golf, etc)
• Practice movement patterns
• Martial arts & self-defense practice

Training
• Sales training with real scenarios
• Customer service training with real scenarios
• Safety training with a hands-on experience in a virtual environment
• Product assembly & troubleshooting training

Engineering
• CAD Prototyping & Analysis
• Design assembly and cross-sectioning diagrams with full range of motion and rotation

Business
• Multi-dimensional workflow & networking diagramming

mapping . . . absolutely.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I see why you'd think that, but I believe the situation is different. A car has to deal with a huge range of objects in unknown positions. For an object like say an industrial dynamo or something, the parts will be know, the correct placement will be known, and there could always be QR like code additions to help. The manufacturer should have the schematics for the parts as well. It's a much simpler concept, and a company will only need to focus on the items their app is meant to help with.
Agreed 100%. Self-driving is a much more difficult problem. A mechanic using a vision pro isn't fixing an engine in a sudden downpour at night, on unmarked roads. In a shop/warehouse/factory all the parts can be known and visually identified by a human, and you have time to look around at different angles/viewpoints.

The limitation right now is that you can't request a "full" camera access in software, but that will come, eventually, and will be highly restricted. Currently, apps can request to get geometry of the room around you and things like hand positions/shapes.

I'm not sure how they will handle full access as it is a very privacy sensitive issue. The problem is with a phone, if you are accessing the camera and recording you will have the camera indicator to let you know something is up...but in the vision pro, what you are seeing is always through the camera, so potentially other apps, papers on your desk, computer monitors, people, etc. I can imagine apple having a "Full Camera Access" permission per session, and you have to confirm it each time before it starts (And maybe something like "always allow in this room" or something similar)

Reactions: Eugr and TarkinDale

VPsmith

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2023
This functionality impressed me on the MS HoloLens when I gave that a try last year. If Apple doesn't capitalize on that with built in functionality in FaceTime or other tools I'm sure someone will do it through 3rd party apps. It seems like a huge space to develop in.

If that's what you want it for, I suspect you'll probably have to make do with websites & downloaded 3D content or hope some dev sneaks it past Apple's review process. At least until someone forces Apple to allow side loading of sketchy smutty apps.
Apple already has SharePlay- so for compatibility I'm sure whatever SharePlay apps work will also work with Vision Pro. Like screen share or sharing an excel document etc

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Apple already has SharePlay- so for compatibility I'm sure whatever SharePlay apps work will also work with Vision Pro. Like screen share or sharing an excel document etc
I'm guessing FreeForm will see some expansion with the Vision Pro, which will be interesting.

mry110

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2018
FAA would have a poop fit about it, but the potential applications for flying an airplane are mind blowing. Spatial disorientation is one of the major killers of novice private pilots. You could eliminate that with this device.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I wonder if the VP can give you night vision at some level. I’m sure you need special cameras for true night vision. That would be cool if it was added in a future generation. I don’t know why it would be, but it would be cool.

Reactions: mry110

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
FAA would have a poop fit about it, but the potential applications for flying an airplane are mind blowing. Spatial disorientation is one of the major killers of novice private pilots. You could eliminate that with this device.
You are correct - spatial awareness is such an easy to train with VP even in darkness which is worse and causes many crashes.

Great thought.

Hoping one day I can replace my clunky PC based MSFS with the Apple VP....

mintakax

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
For the majority of locations in the US, light pollution has drastically limited the number of stars that can be seen and many, many people will never see the night sky as it was. Is it possible that a planetarium style AVP app could provide an experience that surpasses that of a planetarium? Walk out of your NYC apartment, look up and around and see the same night sky as if there were no light pollution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.