Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
Something where our solar system is displayed and an autonomous space launch is shown sped up in time to view the trajectory of the spacecraft. Example: New Horizons launch to Pluto flyby. Augment the display with vectors of the spacecraft coordinate system, the earth and sun's coordinate systems and the other planet's coordinate systems.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I think that those who make the star gazer apps can take it to a whole new level. They could suspend the user in Space at their current lat and long and given a full view of their surroundings.

Last edited:

ddvmor

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
My vote: Microsoft Flight Simulator.

After spending $2500 on a PC that barely works with MSFS and dual displays; I'd think the VP with it's R1 and M2 can handle it easily ???
I’ve played modded Microsoft Flight Sim on a PC connected Quest 2 and it’s very, very cool. 😎

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
This is not really an app, but more content. Have a band or musical performer create a concert in 3D which can be displayed in one's living room as if you're in the front row or even closer. Apple may already be thinking along those lines.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Monkey

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The ones that I have mentioned previously:

A gardening AR app that would help with pruning of fruit trees and rose bushes. Sort of a cut here and here

An assist for color blindness. For example for red-green color blindness, overlap a diagonal cross hatch on red objects and a vertical crosshatch on green obbject

A supermarket shopping app that will optimize your trip around the market to collect items from a shopping list. I always find myself go back to previous isle to get an item especially if I’m unfamiliar with a particular market

An auto or appliance repair app the overlays the specific steps on the image of my car or clothes dryer. E.g., loosen the screw, then move this clamp, then remove this bolt.

judas731

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
I've been thinking recently about comic books, graphic novels, or even novels that could incorporate drawings, sceneries, atmospheres, etc. into them now with the all the potential that VP could bring with it. I am sure it's been done before with other headsets. But wondering what it would look like on a more mainstream platform if the Marvel Unlimited app started incorporating their comics to add more effects. Or books from Apple's own bookstore or Amazon made reading a deeper experience.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I've been thinking recently about comic books, graphic novels, or even novels that could incorporate drawings, sceneries, atmospheres, etc. into them now with the all the potential that VP could bring with it. I am sure it's been done before with other headsets. But wondering what it would look like on a more mainstream platform if the Marvel Unlimited app started incorporating their comics to add more effects. Or books from Apple's own bookstore or Amazon made reading a deeper experience.
Comics could be interesting. Maybe with certain books too, but I feel like a lot of readers prefer using their own imagination for visuals. Perhaps they could do something with illustrated children’s books, but I don’t know how many parents are going to get a VP for their young kids lol. Unless it’s a valuable educational tool, which is a possibility. Perhaps there will be very effective engaging interactive AR educational experiences, with 3D objects and characters and such.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
I just want ar badminton and some type of tai chi or wing chung ar tutor with hand tracking would be cool

svnty6rs3

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Couple ones which I think could eventually be possible and really justify having a device that you look through in order to enhance the world around you.
  1. An app that uses AR functionality to talk you through a recipe. Step by Step guide based on what it sees in your fridge or the items on a table.
  2. An app that can identify common household items such as a light switch or toilet, and talk you through repairing common issues with them.
  3. An app that can scan your room and the objects in it, and then allows you to replace each individual piece of furniture with a new one to see how it would look. Also things like changing the color of a wall or even further rearranging those items into different parts of the room etc.
  4. An App that allows you to run separate programs from Mac as unique windows on your Vision Pro. So instead of screen mirroring to show the whole screen, just moving individual open programs from Mac into the Vision Pro view.
  5. A visual search / shopping app. Open the app. Look at a specific objects or items in your view that then get highlighted or get a border added to them and tap your fingers to bring up contextual information about each item as well as a way to shop for it online.
  6. A live caption app for conversations that also does translation. This would be great for people who are hard of hearing, to be able to get a live caption of what the person is saying to them as they look at them through the Vision Pro. Live translations would also be great for folks.
  7. A color correcting app that adjusts what you see to fix color blindness. You select the kind of color blindness you have, and then the Vision Pro overlays filters on the passthrough view to show you the world in the correct color view.
  8. A live visual tour app. As you walk around a city or location, the Vision Pro highlights things you are looking at and gives you information about them. Think a guided city walking tour that's done all in the app.
  9. An app to learn instruments. You sit down at a piano and it highlights each key that you need to press for a song.
  10. A window overlay app. An app that runs in the background and replaces the view from windows in the room you are in with various options. Things like snow falling, a sunny day, a city view etc etc.

ddvmor

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Maybe even just a no-frills comic reading app that replicates the experience of reading a comic. You hold it in your hand and turn the pages. If you want a closer look at a particular panel, just hold it a bit closer. Same could apply to books and magazines.

Reactions: jgelin

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
There are some absolutely fantastic ideas in this thread. Thank you all for sharing.

Here are mine most of which I think are already feasible.

(1) Music

I want to see 5 or 6 or 8 pages of sheet music arrayed in front of me, that I can navigate by eye. I’d love to see a floating metronome, one that I can position anywhere in my room or that dynamically responds to my own deviations in tempo.

I’d love to have a dynamically rendered bass player or tutor, sitting in virtual space, playing along. This is already possible audibly, but the visual component would simply be insane.

(2) navigation

I’d like to explore trails and routes prior to hiking to better understand length, difficulty, and exposure.

(3) Art and architecture

I’d like to explore famous sculptures, installations, and buildings with sufficient historical detail overlaid. I’d also like to use this facility to examine remote construction and repairs.

(4) Perspective

From micro to macro, give me experiences that let me lens in and out at will. Show me a representation of the chaos in the cytoplasm, let me see what it’s like outside the space station or on a deep sea dive.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Language learning could be huge if done right. Face-to-face language lessons are almost always better than online or self-study ones, especially when coupled with group projects, presentations, field trips etc. (did French in college that involved all those elements and managed to get to B1/B2 level in 3 semesters from scratch--sadly forgot most if not everything so back to A1/A2 whereas my progress with Duolingo was always much slower).

In a virtual space you could do all of that and make it much easier to find and connect with other learners of your target language. Not just walking a Parisian alley, but also going to a cafe virtually and practicing how to order food in one scenario, or going to a store and practicing how to express colors and sizes and shopping expressions etc.

Another problem with language classes is, depending on the area, finding enough students for a class to run can be difficult, especially for smaller languages. And if you do it online, you're back to the problem of having to use video calling which can work for sure...but also just isn't like the real thing.

Language learning in a proper virtual space could be the key to solving that. Current implementations like Mondly, Immerse, and Nountown look and feel clunky. And I think a big part of that is the underlying platform (i.e. Quest). So hopefully Vision brings the tools and tech needed for a smoother user experience.

Fingers crossed for Duolingo VR 🤞

Edit: in fact, education and online tutoring could be huge if done right.

Given the Vision Pro's impressive passthrough, imagine you and, say, a piano instructor connecting live and you can see your instructors fingers overlaid over yours (and vice versa). This allows for live and accurate feedback for finger placement (something current piano learning apps completely lack) from a professional pianist halfway across the country or the world.

Even though visionOS doesn't allow for live video feeds from the sensors, I believe it can overlay stuff on the environment and share that instead which should be sufficient in combination with the skeletal hand tracking described in the documentation.

Great stuff. Love the way you are thinking. 100% concur.

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Very niche, but I’d like a way to display DAGs (directed acyclic graphs) for data engineering purposes. Then extend that to generally a way to parse data warehouses via templated SQL (something like a front end for dbt).

I do plan to play around with developing the first part once I have my AVP on Friday, but lack of Terminal and dev tool chain compatibility means this probably won’t get off the ground. Still — excited to see how compelling a very basic is!

Reactions: riverfreak

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Very niche, but I’d like a way to display DAGs (directed acyclic graphs) for data engineering purposes. Then extend that to generally a way to parse data warehouses via templated SQL (something like a front end for dbt).

I do plan to play around with developing the first part once I have my AVP on Friday, but lack of Terminal and dev tool chain compatibility means this probably won’t get off the ground. Still — excited to see how compelling a very basic is!
DAG visualization/ navigation would be amazing (as would any visualization of data relationships / data enrichment).

You just do the dev in your normal dev enviro, yes? I don’t develop mobile apps on my iPhone…

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
You can do that on a laptop or desktop. You don’t need an IDE or terminal on device.

Nobody writes iPhone apps on an iPhone. But you know that already?

Oh, and for clarity, it’s spatial.
The iPhone isnt positioned to be a possible stand in for a Mac in the same way AVP is. $5000+ dollars is the requirement to code with the AVP otherwise. 🤷🏾‍♂️ The other way is to use VS Code in the browser. That could work for some things but not necessarily for a native application… now that I think about it… in some cases maybe just mirroring the mac is the best way to handle software development outside of the Applesphere.

Last edited:

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
  1. An app that uses AR functionality to talk you through a recipe. Step by Step guide based on what it sees in your fridge or the items on a table.
I think it was the WSJ review I watched yesterday, this was demonstrated somewhat (with the odd recommendation from the enabling app not to cook while wearing AVP). She was able to do things like place separate timers over two different pans on the stove as she followed the recipe. That could really come in handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.