Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

That was my thought the moment I saw the photos. I like the Galaxy Nexus design a little bit, but I guess we can be glad Samsung isn't doing the new Nexus.

----------

Yeah, reception is fairly poor depending on where you are. For example, when you get inside a building (office building, mall, etc.) the reception blows.

I feel bad for all those that are planning to get unlocked iPhones and go to Tmobile. Might be a major mistake. Heh.

Yeah, I've been doing some research on T-Mobile coverage on the city I'm moving to. I definitely don't expect it to be as good as Verizon, but it should be good enough.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It reminds me of a toilet seat cover dispenser.

nexus-10-rear.jpg

ToiletSeatCoverDispensers_1242853014.jpg

1122553243.jpg

----------

Now that I'm done making fun the Nexus 10, the specs are pretty amazing:

Samsung Exynos 5250
Clocked at 1.7 GHz
Dual-core Cortex-A15
Mali-T604 GPU
2GB RAM
16GB internal storage (other options possible)
10.1-inch Super AMOLED display
2560 x 1600 pixel resolution
298.9 pixels-per-inch
5-megapixel rear-facing camera
LED flash
Front-facing camera
NFC
WiFi
Bluetooth 4.0
Dual speakers located on front of device

Also, 4.2 Quick Settings looks like they could be great:

jb5_0.jpg

Wonder what film strip view is about. A pull-out of home screens?

jb3_0.png

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/2...ive-photoshoot-shows-off-android-4-2-as-well/

Disclaimer: I have 0% interest in this device.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wonder what film strip view is about. A pull-out of home screens?
Looks like the pullout gallery view (see the gallery icons and screenshots folder in the top left). :D

The screen res is insane but I don't understand why it's using the 7" tablet UI over the full tablet UI on larger devices today. :confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-26-22-07-54.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-26-22-07-54.png
    720.3 KB · Views: 100

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The screen res is insane but I don't understand why it's using the 7" tablet UI over the full tablet UI on larger devices today. :confused:

I was thinking the very same thing. I couldn't stand using the 'phablet' UI on my Nexus 7 and installed Paranoid Android specifically because of the control it offers over the UI/app layout. Running the phablet UI on the Nexus 10 is a huge waste. Also, considering how awful some apps look running on the 7", I'd be a bit concerned what they'd look like on this monster.

I agree, the specs are pretty awesome--shame the form factor is so hideous. But hey, slap a case on it and call it a day.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm really excited about wireless charging. I really hope it takes off. I'd love to just set my device down when I get home and have it be charging anytime it's not being used. Save the wires for traveling.

What Apple said about how wireless charging is useless because the wireless charging device is still connected to a power cord is so asinine.

It would make charging so much more convenient, provided it works well.

(And at the risk of sounding like a broken record yet again: If it was Apple that first really implemented wireless charging, iOS-devotees would be first to praise just how convenient it would make things).

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Film view looks interesting!

Might be like expose.

(And at the risk of sounding like a broken record yet again: If it was Apple that first really implemented wireless charging, iOS-devotees would be first to praise just how convenient it would make things).

You're right, but I don't see the advantage over docking you're phone. Actually dock offers an advantage over the pad as its at an angle so you can see you're phone.

Wireless charging started out as an interesting concept when you could of put 4-5 devices Around the charger and they charged.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm really excited about wireless charging. I really hope it takes off. I'd love to just set my device down when I get home and have it be charging anytime it's not being used. Save the wires for traveling.

What Apple said about how wireless charging is useless because the wireless charging device is still connected to a power cord is so asinine.

It would make charging so much more convenient, provided it works well.

I also think wireless charging is a pretty cool feature and would be happy to have it in my iPhone but I'm sorry, Apple's really not far off on this one. Either you have your MicroUSB, dock, or lightning cable plugged in to the wall or you have your wireless charger plugged into the wall. Is it really that difficult to plug a cable into your device? Are we really getting that lazy? And I'd also guess the wireless charging station costs more than the cable.

I personally use my iPhone as my alarm clock and like to have it propped upright in a stand--wireless isn't going to make this any easier.

----------

Wireless charging started out as an interesting concept when you could of put 4-5 devices Around the charger and they charged.

^This. Wireless charging would be much more beneficial in this scenario.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
All fair points but wanting wireless charging by no means that I think plugging in a USB is difficult. It's a bit silly asking "is it that hard to?" Many things provide conveniences to actions that are not "hard."

Definitely see the advantage of the dock but as someone who doesn't use one I'd love a wireless charging pad to plop my phone down while it's on my desk.

Last edited:

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Apple's really not far off on this one. Either you have your MicroUSB, dock, or lightning cable plugged in to the wall or you have your wireless charger plugged into the wall.

I have an HP Touchpad ( best $99 I ever spent ) and also its associated wireless charger, which HP calls Touchstone . The main reason I got the Touchstone was that I was worried about the usb charging connector wearing out.
The beauty of it is that I can just drop the tablet into its slot after using it, no fiddling with wires or connectors. It is always in upright portrait position, so I can have it act as an alarm clock, display photos or display the latest news headlines while it charges.
Point of this post is that Apple's logic is right, but misses the woods for the trees.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That's why apple's comment is asinine.

???

Guess I'm not following your logic. Short of viskon's valid concern about wearing out the connector, what's the advantage of wireless charging? What does it do better than wired charging? Yes, I understand it's 'easier' since you don't have to plug anything into the phone but my point is I personally don't see that as enough of a benefit worth re-engineering the phone and apparently, neither does Apple.

UPDATE: Actually, the more I think about it--considering Apples propensity for selling/requiring overpriced accessories, I'm surprised that they haven't including it yet--missing out on a great opportunity to charge $50 for a wireless charger.

Again, I think it's cool tech but until I can put all of my devices on a single pad to charge them simultaneously, it's just that, cool tech.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
???

Guess I'm not following your logic. Short of viskon's valid concern about wearing out the connector, what's the advantage of wireless charging? What does it do better than wired charging? Yes, I understand it's 'easier' since you don't have to plug anything into the phone but my point is I personally don't see that as enough of a benefit worth re-engineering the phone and apparently, neither does Apple.

UPDATE: Actually, the more I think about it--considering Apples propensity for selling/requiring overpriced accessories, I'm surprised that they haven't including it yet--missing out on a great opportunity to charge $50 for a wireless charger.

Again, I think it's cool tech but until I can put all of my devices on a single pad to charge them simultaneously, it's just that, cool tech.

That's why I'm hoping wireless charging does take off. It'll be great when wireless charging can be just like location based NFC tags. Where if you're in a room, your phone will be charging, no matter where it is, as long as it's in range. Wouldn't that be neat?

Apple will join the party some day. Did I say join the party? I mean, invent wireless charging. ;)

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I like those 4.2 features shown in the Nexus 10 article. Should be just a small improvement on an already great OS, and then a big update next year.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
16GB confirmed by Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/lg-nexus-4-manual-8gb-16gb/

Also "induction coil" for wireless charging.

BTW, still vehemently hate the headphone jack at the top. This position makes zero sense. The wire will hang from the top, then drop down and sometimes across your hand or screen, bending the top, etc. It never made sense for the 4S either. Hated it then too.

At the bottom, it just goes down and out of your way. That makes so much more sense.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Not only it is ugly... it has a super amoled screen too... I hoped it would be IPS.

Don't they understand the average user buys also the iPad because it has a cool design? Our are they afraid Apple could sure them again? Still, they could have come with a better design, like the Microsoft surface.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Great. No 32GB, though. Guess we will have to settle for 16. I'm so used to the headphone jack being on top that I actually like it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I have no doubt the front would take cues from the Galaxy Note 10" which I think doesn't look too bad, but the back... ugh, the back... like I said, it looks like a toiler seat cover dispenser.

I'm sure the real press release and official photos come Monday will paint it in a better light. The main discussion regarding the Nexus 10 will be that screen resolution, which is pretty exciting.

Again, not that I care. I have zero interest in the Nexus 10. Far more interested in the Nexus 4 and JB 4.2.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
I wished Google would have teamed up with HTC to create a Nexus version of HTC's J Butterfly. That could have easily been the best phone on the market.
I honestly can't see why they would choose LG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.