Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Quote;
According to a brief comment sent to MarketingLand, Google has canceled their Monday Playground event due to safety concerns over Hurricane Sandy: "We are canceling our Monday morning event in New York due to Hurricane Sandy. We will let you know our plans as soon as we know.

http://smartgreenrobot.com/news/Google+Cancels+Playground+Event+Due+to+Hurricane+Sandy

Seems fair enough, safety first.

It would have been fair if they had announced the rescheduled date :(

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
It's the second time in a row they have rescheduled the nexus announcement. I hope they still announce it in the US.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I hope they announce something before November 9th when AT&T releases the Note II. My decision is pretty much down to these two phones.

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
That's too bad they're having to cancel the event. I'm hoping to buy a tablet sometime in November and right now its between a Nexus 7 or 10 and one of Nook's new tablets. The Nooks don't come out till November 8 so hopefully Google will be able to have their announcement before then.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Probably the next Monday. They delayed it by one week last year too presumably due to Jobs' death (which I really didn't mind. The world needed time to mourn).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, ditto. Was really looking forward to Monday's event.

Luckily, we know most of what's going to be announced. I was sure looking forward to more info on that wireless charging dock. If Apple's not going to do it, someone's gotta. ;)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, ditto. Was really looking forward to Monday's event.

Luckily, we know most of what's going to be announced. I was sure looking forward to more info on that wireless charging dock. If Apple's not going to do it, someone's gotta. ;)

I get that wireless charging would be cool because I just plop my phone on some pad, but I'm not buying it. There must be a reason the technology hasn't taken off. It's slow, generates much heat, inefficient, and really isn't more practical than a wired connection. It's "cool," that's about all it has going for it. Unless it was implemented to the level that Nokia would like, I can't see much utility.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I get that wireless charging would be cool because I just plop my phone on some pad, but I'm not buying it. There must be a reason the technology hasn't taken off. It's slow, generates much heat, inefficient, and really isn't more practical than a wired connection. It's "cool," that's about all it has going for it. Unless it was implemented to the level that Nokia would like, I can't see much utility.

Speaking from past inductive charging its generally slow and not as efficient as a direct connection. But I know nothing of the current tech being used, just how my tooth brush charges lol.

However that doesn't mean there's no utility. Convenience is the main thing. Plop it down and boom it's charging. Perfect for a nightstand by the bed. Get that midnight call and no worries of wires getting yanked around or holding your head uncomfortably off the bed then when your done throwing it back on the pad. Also becomes a home vase for the phone, "where's my phone?" It's going to be on a 10"x10" section of your home (not an issue for me).

For me this is certainly not a must have. However it is cool and I would use it if my phone had it. I hate chargers and wires that's why I have these all over my house.

3a4eme8a.jpg

120v plug with 2 usb's

Then I ordered 5 iPhone wires. So a pad that I can hide the wire of would be nice.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, I don't get why anyone would be against wireless charging per se, or at least not hope to see the tech take off.

Why is it that when Apple pushes new technologies, even when it's not ready for mass or usual consumption (like SIRI, Thunderbolt connector...) they're heralded as pushing the frontiers, but if others try, ehhhhh, I'm suddenly skeptical.

Cynics highlights exactly why and how wireless charging can be convenient and useful. Will the Nexus wireless charger change the norm? I don't know. That's why I'm excited to hear about it. I could see it being no better than what's out now, which would be a shame for everyone, not just Android users.

I'm eager to see the technology take off. It doesn't even necessarily have to come from Google. Nokia and Samsung both are trying it out too. We're entering a wireless world. Why can't charging be just as wireless? The whole "it still has to be plugged into something" is ridiculous. So does a computer, yet we're happy to see wireless syncing or wireless updates.

Someone should get this party started.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, I don't get why anyone would be against wireless charging per se, or at least not hope to see the tech take off.

Why is it that when Apple pushes new technologies, even when it's not ready for mass or usual consumption (like SIRI, Thunderbolt connector...) they're heralded as pushing the frontiers, but if others try, ehhhhh, I'm suddenly skeptical.

Cynics highlights exactly why and how wireless charging can be convenient and useful. Will the Nexus wireless charger change the norm? I don't know. That's why I'm excited to hear about it. I could see it being no better than what's out now, which would be a shame for everyone, not just Android users.

I'm eager to see the technology take off. It doesn't even necessarily have to come from Google. Nokia and Samsung both are trying it out too. We're entering a wireless world. Why can't charging be just as wireless? The whole "it still has to be plugged into something" is ridiculous. So does a computer, yet we're happy to see wireless syncing or wireless updates.

Someone should get this party started.

The technology has been around and from what I can gather, hasn't changed significantly. I'm not advocating against it, I just don't want it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The technology has been around and from what I can gather, hasn't changed significantly. I'm not advocating against it, I just don't want it.

Fair enough, but given your post history, why do I get the feeling that if Apple introduced it, you'd suddenly be more open minded... :rolleyes:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
onthecouchagain;161571fair enough, but given your post history, why do I get the feeling that if Apple introduced it, you'd suddenly be more open minded... :rolleyes:

Exactly, vbarvian saying he doesnt want it is funny. Its not something im excited about but i wouldnt say i dont want it. Ill take it, it just isnt a selling point for me but who knows, it could be a great thing thus would be a plus for me.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You know what's interesting about the storm delaying the event?

Weren't there rumors that the Nexus 7 32GB would go on sale the day after? On Oct 30th? Kind of sucks for those who were eager and ready.

It's already on sale at officedepot.com :)

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
When I search Nexus 7 on officedepot.com the 32 GB model shows up but when I click on it I get:

"Item 769156, ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet 32GB, is not available for purchase at this time.
Shop below for similar products."

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Says $249 for a 16GB w/ wifi only. Dont have 32GB on there.

Ha, they removed the link, thanks for the update. I guess they must have gotten bombarded with orders. I ordered my 32GB last Thursday. It's on schedule for a Monday delivery.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

If Apple released it you would buy it yesterday and say its the best thing since sliced bread....Like most Apple fans, WHATEVER Apple releases is the "right way to do things".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.