Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Another ridiculous thing is in the apple video of the iPad mini they say specifically that the iPad can be picked up and used with one hand. So one handed use with a 7.9" screen, from apple? A-okay. One hand use with anything in the 4-5.5" screen from the competition? Impossible to use!

Watch their official video from the website. The one that starts with Ive talking. (Starts around the 2:10 min mark.)

But you know, in typical Apple fashion, if pressed on the issue they would say "well yes, holding the iPad mini while reading or watching video is technically USING IT; and since you can do so with one hand, you are using the device with one hand" They never did say operate the device one handed...lol

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
But you know, in typical Apple fashion, if pressed on the issue they would say "well yes, holding the iPad mini while reading or watching video is technically USING IT; and since you can do so with one hand, you are using the device with one hand" They never did say operate the device one handed...lol

Except in the apple promo, the person is swiping with his thumb, one handed, as apple is claiming easy use with one hand. lol

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Except in the apple promo, the person is swiping with his thumb, one handed, as apple is claiming easy use with one hand. lol

LOL, and it turns out Apple found someone with freakishly long thumbs for the ad and has a footnote "Actual thumb size not available to all human beings" alas poor Steve is not here anymore to tell us we cannot use the iPad mini with one hand because we are holding it wrong.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

That is a pretty silly claim from Apple :D You can use any sized device in the way that they're showing. All they're doing is holding the iPad on one side and swiping on that side using their thumb. You can do that with the larger iPad too!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
That is a pretty silly claim from Apple :D You can use any sized device in the way that they're showing. All they're doing is holding the iPad on one side and swiping on that side using their thumb. You can do that with the larger iPad too!

29201758.jpg

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Hands on video of the Nexus 4 over at Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/nexus-4-leaked-on-video/

Quick Settings from the pull down menu looks great. Absolutely great. Honestly, it looks like something Apple would have done with the whole way it flips around like that. Great animation. It'll be great if that Quick Settings menu is configurable too.

Having said that, I now hate the chrome around the device even more. It also looks thick as heck. And I can't believe the fella didn't turn the device around to show the back. Not even a little bit.

Can't wait for 4.2.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Hands on video of the Nexus 4 over at Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/nexus-4-leaked-on-video/

Quick Settings from the pull down menu looks great. Absolutely great. Honestly, it looks like something Apple would have done with the whole way it flips around like that. Great animation. It'll be great if that Quick Settings menu is configurable too.

Having said that, I now hate the chrome around the device even more. It also looks thick as heck. And I can't believe the fella didn't turn the device around to show the back. Not even a little bit.

Can't wait for 4.2.
Sweet looking phone. :cool:

Is 4.2 aka Key Lime Pie or is it a minor update to Jelly Bean? The more I read about 4.2 the more confused I got, lol.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Woah.... 5 rows in the App drawer. Wonder if that's by default or if Google now allows you to customize the App drawer...

----------

Sweet looking phone. :cool:

Is 4.2 aka Key Lime Pie or is it a minor update to Jelly Bean? The more I read about 4.2 the more confused I got, lol.

No one is positive, but all signs point to 4.2 still carrying the Jelly Bean moniker. They did this once before with 2.0 and 2.1 both of which were "Eclair."

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Availability details get leaked: http://androidandme.com/2012/10/sma...4-on-sale-november-13th-in-google-play-store/

"sold on November 13th in the Google Play Store. The device is unlocked and GSM/HSPA+ compatible so it will operate on more than 200 network providers worldwide. It will be available in 8 GB and 16 GB versions, but no pricing was announced."

Official announcement from LG/Google:

http://androidandme.com/2012/10/smartphones-2/lg-and-google-announce-the-nexus-4/

4.2 Jelly Bean, it is.

Holy smokes, Engadget reports prices:

" It'll be made available in both 8GB and 16GB versions starting November 13 in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and Australia, with pricing set for $299 (8GB) / $349 (16GB). The 16GB version will also be available through T-Mobile for $199, with a 2-year contract."

That's... awesome.

--------------

Confused here. Does the Nexus 4 phone support LTE?

Not unlocked from Google Play.

Down the line, carrier-specific versions that are sold with subsidy and through the carrier will. Like the Verizon or Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.

Awesome. I guess I can't even look at them.

That sucks. Sorry. :(

Try the blogs. Full coverage from Verge.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
16GB is £279 in the UK, I might just get me a piece of that.

16GB Nexus 7 is £159.

Wow. I am definitely getting it at that price! I had €600 saved up just in case :p

Where will it be sold unlocked in the UK? I'm thinking of going up to Belfast to get it.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Wow. I am definitely getting it at that price! I had €600 saved up just in case :p

Where will it be sold unlocked in the UK? I'm thinking of going up to Belfast to get it.

Car phone warehouse might, the other option that I was thinking about is Amazon, I say that because I have never bought from the playstore but trust Amazon.

Edit; PC World might also.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Car phone warehouse might, the other option that I was thinking about is Amazon, I say that because I have never bought from the playstore but trust Amazon.

Edit; PC world might also.

I've never bought anything from the Play store either but I wouldn't mind it if it were an option in Ireland. I wonder if I'll be able to get it from Amazon.

PC world sell phones? Didn't think they did, at least not in Ireland.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've never bought anything from the Play store either but I wouldn't mind it if it were an option in Ireland. I wonder if I'll be able to get it from Amazon.

PC world sell phones? Didn't think they did, at least not in Ireland.

Nah they don't here.

Expansys.ie will probably the only place to get the phone here (unless of course you get it from a carrier).

PC World & Currys and possibly Argos may sell the Nexus 10 though.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Nah they don't here.

Expansys.ie will probably the only place to get the phone here (unless of course you get it from a carrier).

PC World & Currys and possibly Argos may sell the Nexus 10 though.

I've been reading bad things about Expansys on boards.ie so I'm a bit weary of getting it from them. Some people are saying they requested proof of address and I plan on having it delivered to college so I obviously won't be able to provide them that if they request it. Looks like I might go up to Belfast or just get it from 3 if they get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.