Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halledise

macrumors 68000
this is still a good watch.
probably wouldn't get past the wowsers in hollywood these days though …
Devil in a Blue Dress

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 08.52.11.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 08.52.11.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 16

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I saw it twice, Friday March 1st 6pm $13 ticket price, next Sunday March 10th $9 ticket price .
SE Michigan region, Emagine theaters eMAX both times.

Where do you live?
For reference, gas is around $3.40 / gallon, I’m paying $4/dz for fresh farm eggs.
Yes I've gone to the Great Lakes Crossing Imax to see it

Reactions: Huntn

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
IMG_0070.jpeg

An excellent snapshot in the history of the man. A couple of the crashes are hilarious due to dummies very obviously being used, however the crash towards the end of the film was superbly done and quite shocking. Good acting. Like how he always wore sunglasses everywhere, ahead of his time setting a trend lol.

Those engine noises…. made me melt….

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Last night I watched “The Woods are real” (2024), and I didn’t like it.

Maybe I was expecting something else, but I found it… bland? Empty? A missed opportunity. Meh.

But hey, maybe you like it.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Last night I watched “The Woods are real” (2024), and I didn’t like it.

Maybe I was expecting something else, but I found it… bland? Empty? A missed opportunity. Meh.

But hey, maybe you like it.
...or maybe I won't watch it. There are a few films I want to watch, Dune being one. Problem I didn't watch the first one and not sure I want to subscribe to a new service for it (currently on Netflix, Disney+ and Crunchyroll).

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I saw this movie for the first time in my life two months ago (I forgot to post it here) and I liked the movie very much. Especially… Grace Kelly. I had never seen a movie with her, and I was absolutely obliterated by her charm and beauty. Jimmy Stewart does also a good job.

IfI recall correctly, it was one of the first movies filmed in Panavision? And Technicolor of course.

However, even though the first 2/3 of the movie are pretty engaging with the thriller building up, I found the resolution of the film a bit rushed and not very satisfying. I mean, is there finally a murder or not? I was all the film thinking it was just his imagination, but apparently it wasn’t? And it’s all explained in one sentence with the Police when he’s fallen from the window? Yeah, I know someone (the alleged murderer) went to his apartment, but unarmed, and understandably upset because someone is spying on him and accusing him of murder

As I said, a bit rushed and confusing towards the end, but a great classic nonetheless.

BTW: I think my favorite film from Hitchcock is North by Northwest, and because it’s been long ago that I saw it (years ago) I think I should re-watch it.
Based on what was said, seen, and actions taken, I’ve always thought there was a murder and believe this was projected adequately. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Killers of the Flower Moon- Historical story set in northern Oklahoma 1910-30 about the systematic murders of Osage Indians on the tribe’s land. A worthy story, plagued by being overly long at 3.5 hrs. Despite the high quality of acting, direction, and production, it feels slow, but picks up when the FBI gets involved.

One thing is clear when you look at the sentences handed out, during that time frame, an Indian life was not worth a white life. 🥵

IMG_3146.jpeg

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Okay, last night I finished watching The Trouble With Harry. I never thought it would turn out to be a… comedy? I had a big smile on my face when the end screen hit me, so we could say this “murder” movie left me with good vibes. Spoilers ahead:

At first I was a bit too focused on the body and the murder, which I think was preventing me from appreciating and enjoying this coral movie, where the different characters are being presented during the first half, and then, they all share the action during the second half.

I liked the acting, but I’m afraid I fell in love with this young Shirley MacLane. Damn, Hitchcock knew how to choose pretty ladies!

It is funny how you end up not caring too much about the dead man, just like the characters who are presented during the first half of the movie. But instead you end up feeling the same complicity as the four characters.

I liked it, but I can’t compare it to NBNW, because they have a different tone. I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Thanks for the recommendation! There are few Hitchcock movies remaining to be seen now. One of them being “The Birds”. And now I’m really curious about it.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Okay, last night I finished watching The Trouble With Harry. I never thought it would turn out to be a… comedy? I had a big smile on my face when the end screen hit me, so we could say this “murder” movie left me with good vibes. Spoilers ahead:

At first I was a bit too focused on the body and the murder, which I think was preventing me from appreciating and enjoying this coral movie, where the different characters are being presented during the first half, and then, they all share the action during the second half.

I liked the acting, but I’m afraid I fell in love with this young Shirley MacLane. Damn, Hitchcock knew how to choose pretty ladies!

It is funny how you end up not caring too much about the dead man, just like the characters who are presented during the first half of the movie. But instead you end up feeling the same complicity as the four characters.

I liked it, but I can’t compare it to NBNW, because they have a different tone. I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Thanks for the recommendation! There are few Hitchcock movies remaining to be seen now. One of them being “The Birds”. And now I’m really curious about it.
ha ha ha

Such a great film.

The Birds a completely different film than either of the other two but a great film none the less...

Reactions: Huntn and Populus

J.J. Sefton

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
While binging on pre-code movies, I've also been rescreening my collection of early 30s Betty Boop cartoons. They're bizarre little fever dreams. Betty interacts with talking animals, inanimate objects that come to life, ghosts, fairy tale characters and in one short-Satan himself. Jazzy soundtracks, raunchy jokes and visuals that wouldn't fly today. I enjoy them anyway-they're of their time. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Also watched this...another one in the "what an ending" file!

Attachments

• p92966_v_v12_aa.jpg
    p92966_v_v12_aa.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.