Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halledise

macrumors 68000
this is another good 'un …
Drive

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 18.08.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 18.08.31.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 19

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I love the scene in the original, where they come across a wreck buried in the ice, and so all the people searching decided to stand around the edges of the shape in the ice to see what it looked like, and as they slowly got into place, you could see this it was a round saucer shape.
I like the original because it seemed to make a leap in story telling quality, a gritty reality/documentary feeling as compared to the science fiction that came before it. I credit the director for this, even though it blew off the “who can you trust? ” element prominent in the original source material, that made the 1982 version, the best. Remember the 1982 movie was over shadowed by E.T., even though it is better than E.T. (opinion). :)

Last edited:

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
I just finished watching "Damage", a Louis Malle film starring Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche. The movie was released in 1992.

This is a dark, erotic movie that some will be profoundly moved by and others will hate. Irons stars as a cabinet minister who has an obsessive affair with his son's deeply disturbed girlfriend (Binoche). When I say erotic, there is plenty of sex (with an R rating) but it's not what you might think; it's two people trying to "fix" their lives with this damaging affair. The girlfriend has even deeper (darker) motives. The directing is really well done and the acting is nothing to sniff at; it's a movie you won't soon forget. Excellent score.

I don't know if I'd feel right recommending this film because of my earlier comment that it won't be for everyone, but if you're looking for something dark and erotic with an ending that you might not see coming by this synopsis..watch it. Definitely engaging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

halledise

macrumors 68000
That is a good one...

Are they ever going to make/finish/premiere Rust?

This is the Alec Baldwin film right?
i think they finished filming Rust.
that's the least of their problems though.
they hung the young armourer out to dry and baldwin is doing his usual blame shifting.
nobody's going to want to see it anyway IMO after all the drama surrounding the making of it.
a pistol from that era will only fire if the hammer is cocked first.
methinks mr. baldwin could be liable for a terminological inexactitude in the least ;)

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I like the original because it seemed to make a leap in story telling quality, a gritty reality/documentary feeling as compared to the science fiction that came before it. I credit the director for this, even though it blew off the “who can you trust? ” element prominent in the original source material, that made the 1982 version, the best. Remember the 1982 movie was over shadowed by E.T., even though it is better than E.T. (opinion). :)
Have you watched E.T. recently? It's basically a 70s horror movie. Rewatch it with that in mind and you'll get a new appreciation of it!

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I just finished watching "Damage", a Louis Malle film starring Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche. The movie was released in 1992.

This is a dark, erotic movie that some will be profoundly moved by and others will hate. Irons stars as a cabinet minister who has an obsessive affair with his son's deeply disturbed girlfriend (Binoche). When I say erotic, there is plenty of sex (with an R rating) but it's not what you might think; it's two people trying to "fix" their lives with this damaging affair. The girlfriend has even deeper (darker) motives. The directing is really well done and the acting is nothing to sniff at; it's a movie you won't soon forget. Excellent score.

I don't know if I'd feel right recommending this film because of my earlier comment that it won't be for everyone, but if you're looking for something dark and erotic with an ending that you might not see coming by this synopsis..watch it. Definitely engaging.
You can have an Irons double bill of this and Dead Ringers.

Definitely first date material!

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Q&A

"Dirty cop, Mike Brennan thinks he got away with murder. But during a routine Q&A, the righteous assistant DA finds a clue that sets them both on a collision course."

Reactions: Huntn

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Did you watch this? I've been hearing a lot about this remake, but I didn't know if it had been released yet (either in theatre or to stream). I'm anxious to hear how it is compared to the original.

Ok, let us know. From the onset that seems like it would be horrible... at least to me...

It is streaming on Amazon Prime Video...

Cheese whiz for sure, and Conor McGregor is a crap actor...

Now I feel compelled to go watch the original, which is also cheese whiz, but a cult classic...

Last edited:

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Nah, once was enough. I'll stick with The Thing also released in 82 I like horror & Scifi films to be that not for the kiddies.

Q-6
Pity. It really is quite clever and brilliant filmmaking. The main kid can be annoying at times, but overall, this was SS bringing brilliance to the screen in ways we didn't even know.
But, I also love The Thing. Both movies are remarkable in very different ways.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Pity. It really is quite clever and brilliant filmmaking. The main kid can be annoying at times, but overall, this was SS bringing brilliance to the screen in ways we didn't even know.
But, I also love The Thing. Both movies are remarkable in very different ways.
E.T. is technically a well made & produced film, just not for me.

Q-6

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
I'm more of a physical media guy than anything (still thinking about getting this external DVD drive to hook up to my new M2 Mini to play 4K discs), but I was curious how stuff from the iTunes store looked/sounded, so I bought each of the OG Star Wars films - am on 'The Empire Strikes Back' (my least favorite) at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.