Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
View attachment 2363602

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, hope this doesn’t offend anyone, I apologise in advance if it does. So my opinion?
It’s a full on woke fest hour and a half advert for Mattel and Barbie, it could have been far more clever and intelligent. I could say more but better not.

Too much for me.

Fair enough. We don't all have to agree. I still haven't seen it but I want to...

Reactions: Pezimak and Huntn

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Exactly. If you see it share your thoughts. No idea why anyone was upset it didn't get an Oscar, ignoring the script and content etc the acting is alright but miles off any Oscar worthy performances.
agree i didn't like or and didnt dislike it, its just a movie too me nothing to take so seri
Fair enough. We don't all have to agree. I still haven't seen it but I want to...
to me it was just a movie, i take nothing serious about movies... so it was an okay movie for me

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Elvis (2022)- Good movie, the early years were great, I enjoyed the story being told from the perspective of the Colonel (Tom Hanks). Austin Butler who I just enjoyed watching in Masters of the Air, does a great job portraying Elvis. He even sings as Elvis in the first half of the movie.

It’s amazing (even though acting) is watching young female teens lose their minds watching this performer gyrate on the stage. :)

IMG_3156.jpeg

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
"The Birds" is another of my Hitchcock favorites, but I liken it more to a horror movie than a mystery murder film. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!
It is, indeed, closer to an horror movie than a mystery murder film. However, it is funny that the first half of the movie had that mystery murder vibe from other Hitchcock movies. And the presence of a mother with a big attachment to her son.

Then, during the second half, the birds are the stars of the show. I’m absolutely amazed by how, in 1963, Hitchcock was capable of gathering so many real birds on screen, make those shocking long takes, and capture the intimidating vibe of those crows. But not only that. Those special effects when the birds attack masssively, for a 1963 film, are quite impressive.

However, it is not good in my opinion, although that’s more a matter of personal taste. First, there’s no disclosure of the origin of the attacks. Maybe it isn’t necessary. Maybe it is better for a film like this. But I kept thinking about the role of the two green love-birds. I’m sure it has a meaning, even if symbolic, but I don’t quite grasp it. The second thing I didn’t like, is the end. I feel like the film run out of money or time at that point, so they just take the car and go away. I mean, it is not a bad ending, it leaves you with the suspense, and it is a somewhat climatic moment to end, but… I’m not convinced.

All in all, this is a solid 8/10 in my opinion.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
I watched it the other day, and funnily I watched the original Swayze film last night as it’s on Prime, and I found myself thinking I may actually prefer the remake!!!! 😳😱😮😮🙀

The new one has a ton of stunts in it!
O have never seen the original - will have to watch it

Reactions: Pezimak

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The Miracle Club.jpeg

With Kathy Bates and Maggie Smith in the cast decided to try it. A delightful, uplifting surprise with a lot of local color for those of us across the pond. A people movie about past mistakes, secrets, regrets and possibilities of redemption in the context of a trip to Lourdes. Started off slowly but really delivers the moving payload at the end. On my best movies list.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
IMG_0371.jpeg

Late Night With The Devil (2024) - great low-budget independent movie. A must watch.

IMG_0404.jpeg

Immaculate (2024) - it starts pretty slow but when it picks up it REALLY picks up. Sidney Sweeney’s performance in this movie is outstanding.

IMG_0405.jpeg

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024) - Not a good movie. There are way too many main characters, a weird ghost love story that doesn’t go anywhere, the original cast doesn’t deliver, many jokes fall flat, and honestly the “nerdy teenage scientist girl/boy that can do everything on her/his first try but has issues with her/his family” trope has been used so much that it’s becoming outright disturbing to know that screenwriters still use it.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024) - Not a good movie. There are way too many main characters, a weird ghost love story that doesn’t go anywhere, the original cast doesn’t deliver, many jokes fall flat, and honestly the “nerdy teenage scientist girl/boy that can do everything on her/his first try but has issues with her/his family” trope has been used so much that it’s becoming outright disturbing to know that screenwriters still use it.

As business venture it may make money..

As of March 31, 2024, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire has grossed $73.3 million in the United States and Canada and $35.1 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $108.4 million.

And the budget was 100 million

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
View attachment 2364754

Late Night With The Devil (2024) - great low-budget independent movie. A must watch.

View attachment 2364756

Immaculate (2024) - it starts pretty slow but when it picks up it REALLY picks up. Sidney Sweeney’s performance in this movie is outstanding.

View attachment 2364755

Thank you for your valuable insight! I’m definitely putting the first two on my list, and it’s a shame that the new Ghostbusters movie doesn’t deliver because I’m a fan of the 80s movies and Bill Murray. I’ll watch it at some point anyways, because nostalgia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.