Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
breaking_away_1979_original_film_art_spo_2000x.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Huntn

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
The Thing from Another World (1951)
View attachment 2360084
Another Scifi classic directed by Christian Nyby & Howard Hawks, very much the precursor to John Carpenters epic the Thing (1982)
View attachment 2360085
One of the best SciFi horror films to be produced. A lesson in developing an incredible sense of paranoia, mistrust and fear, then there's the Thing...

The 2011 prequel again titled The Thing is a reasonable watch, however pales in comparison to the 1982 masterpiece.
View attachment 2360089
A different yet familiar take, being the weakest of the trio. too little character building and too much reliance on CGI. Over all not a bad film, just in lofty company...

Q-6

Never seen that first film, the middle one is a masterclass in film making, the last one well, just proved CGI monsters really aren’t a patch on big models and props covered in goo.
Just realised I don’t actually own The Thing, this middle one, I’ll have to fix that!

Reactions: Huntn and Queen6

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

Saw it, interesting, as good as Swayze’s one? I don’t think so. Think I preferred the older film. Still watchable. LOTS of stunts in it! Was surprised with that.
Also his persistent constant smile doesn’t really fit with the character.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Pity. It really is quite clever and brilliant filmmaking. The main kid can be annoying at times, but overall, this was SS bringing brilliance to the screen in ways we didn't even know.
But, I also love The Thing. Both movies are remarkable in very different ways.
I love that film.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Pride and Prejudice (2005)- A favorite early 19th Century romance set in England, so well done. Outstanding characters all around. It’s practically impossible not to like this. :D

This story reflects an interesting historical fact regarding inheritance laws in 19th Century England that limited women’s’ ability to inherit.

So if you had a bunch of daughters, you mostly hoped you get them married off.

IMG_3153.jpeg

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The male lead? Matthew Macfadyen. I had to search on your character’s name. 😛

"Succession" is the story of horrible people being horrible to each other for 4 full seasons, somehow made watchable by great character performances. I'd never seen Macfadyen anywhere else, almost didn't recognize him with tussled hair.

Reactions: Chuckeee and Huntn

halledise

macrumors 68000
"Succession" is the story of horrible people being horrible to each other for 4 full seasons, somehow made watchable by great character performances. I'd never seen Macfadyen anywhere else, almost didn't recognize him with tussled hair.
succession was fabulous, if you discount season 1.
matthew's been in a bucket load of movies and tv series - most notably the sheriff of nottingham to russell crowe's robin hood - and also the most excellent 'spooks' tv series.
he's one of the poms' best acting exports to the USA

Reactions: Huntn

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
IMG_0075.jpeg

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, hope this doesn’t offend anyone, I apologise in advance if it does. So my opinion?
It’s a full on woke fest hour and a half advert for Mattel and Barbie, it could have been far more clever and intelligent. I could say more but better not.

Too much for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.