Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Yes, I also saw the original Star Wars 3 times in the cinema back in 1977.
And bought the original comics in store then also, still have them
f069fa4bba217f60ec93b385ad926c48.jpg

I was ten years old when the OG Star Wars dropped, I wish I still had all the assorted Star Wars stuff I got the following decade; all that remains are a handful of OG Kenner figures (I had the original release Jawa with the plastic cape) that are no longer anywhere near mint, and the four original Star Wars Burger King glasses...!

I remember having an OTA antenna in the early 1990s, I would open the window by the TV and use a set of channel locks to rotate said antenna for better reception whilst watching reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation after work...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Things Heard and Seen (2021)- Suckola haunted house story. 😑 Starts with interesting history of house, some ho hum supernatural events, good/bad spirits, affairs which mean nothing, starts to get interesting, then plumetd into a stupid ending, with no redeeming story elements/spirit motivations, ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)
View attachment 2359980
The first manned expedition to Mars is invaded by an unknown life form, which stows away on the rescue ship. A classic Scifi B movie, Alien before Alien was ever thought of...

Q-6
1958 was a banner year for B Sci-Fi. "The Fly", "The Blob", "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman". So many others.

Queen6

macrumors G4
The Thing from Another World (1951)
Screenshot 2024-03-18 000140.png

Another Scifi classic directed by Christian Nyby & Howard Hawks, very much the precursor to John Carpenters epic the Thing (1982)
Screenshot 2023-08-06 164909.png

One of the best SciFi horror films to be produced. A lesson in developing an incredible sense of paranoia, mistrust and fear, then there's the Thing...

The 2011 prequel again titled The Thing is a reasonable watch, however pales in comparison to the 1982 masterpiece.
Screenshot 2024-03-18 002530.png

A different yet familiar take, being the weakest of the trio. too little character building and too much reliance on CGI. Over all not a bad film, just in lofty company...

Q-6

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can remember spending Saturday afternoons as a kid watching the black and white version of "The Thing" along with other Sci-Fi classics as well as Godzilla movies. Those were the days...
I grew up in Washington DC (1960 time frame, 7 years old) and the local station, Channel 5 (before it became Fox) ran science fiction/horror moves on Tuesday and Thursday nights, so many good movies, The Beast from 20K Fathoms, The Crawling Eye, Rodan, Giant Behemouth, etc.

The first time I watched The Thing from Another world was over at a friends house, maybe a Saturday, I wore my coat on my head, taking strategic peeks, a common tactic, worked well at the theater, I used for Caltiki, The Immortal Monster, a Blob knockoff. 😄

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
View attachment 2360084
Another Scifi classic directed by Christian Nyby & Howard Hawks, very much the precursor to John Carpenters epic the Thing (1982)
View attachment 2360085
One of the best SciFi horror films to be produced. A lesson in developing an incredible sense of paranoia, mistrust and fear, then there's the Thing...

The 2011 prequel again titled The Thing is a reasonable watch, however pales in comparison to the 1982 masterpiece.
View attachment 2360089
A different yet familiar take, being the weakest of the trio. too little character building and too much reliance on CGI. Over all not a bad film, just in lofty company...

Q-6
The first one was excellent for 1951, but they completely blew off the Who Goes There?, who can you trust vibe from the book. Maybe they thought audiences were not ready for it, or that the tech was not ready to tell the story true to form? 🤔

Reactions: Queen6

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
View attachment 2360084
View attachment 2360085

View attachment 2360089

Q-6

I love the scene in the original, where they come across a wreck buried in the ice, and so all the people searching decided to stand around the edges of the shape in the ice to see what it looked like, and as they slowly got into place, you could see this it was a round saucer shape.

Reactions: Huntn and Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.