Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch will you be buying?

• Total voters

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Thanks, may be I change my mind, but I don't see even a small reason to buy Apple iWatch. For me it is a useless peace of electronics. It doesn't work without iPhone, it takes 1 second too pull an iPhone with a bigger screen.

To me too. My watch is the Rolex sea dweller how can I go with a toy watch now? but if i would buy one the main problem is the battery life time up to 18 hours ?

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
Yes, but his point was that you still need to have it nearby or in your pocket. You couldn't leave your phone at your house and go for a bike ride and get calls/notifications on your watch. It would still need to be with you on your bike ride.

Now why in the world, would I leave my phone at home when Out cycling 40miles at time, or when riding my motorcycle to the gym? That will never happen. The watch is there for me to glance at my notifications in these situations. Giving me the option to respond without reaching for my phone.

Can u imagine me reaching In my speed & strength jacket, to get my phone at a red light while in traffic? When all I of to do is raised my arm and glance at my notifications or miss calls etc.

You may not be able to get notifications wile out running with out your phone, But u would still be able to track your fitness. And play your music via Bluetooth headphones.
For me when I am at the gym, I can leave my phone in the locker. And still be able to play and control my music, without the use of my phone.

Also I would still be able to get notifications and accept calls with my phone being in my locker. For me this is going to be awesome. So for certain situations you don't have to have your phone directly in your pocket. Another example I can leave my phone in my office, and be out in the garage tuning a car on the dyno with out my phone being in my pocket.

Another win for me is, I can't hear my phone with the car running on the dyno. With AW tapping my arm, when I have a notification coming in etc would be great. So u see for me, it will be very useful indeed. Like I said, some may not have use for it. While others will. Every body has defferent lifestyles. So to debate that the AW is useless, is just pointless to me.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Now why in the world, would I leave my phone at home when Out cycling 40miles at time, or when riding my motorcycle to the gym? That will never happen. The watch is there for me to glance at my notifications in these situations. Giving me the option to respond without reaching for my phone.

Can u imagine me reaching In my speed & strength jacket, to get my phone at a red light while in traffic? When all I of to do is raised my arm and glance at my notifications or miss calls etc.

You may not be able to get notifications wile out running with out your phone, But u would still be able to track your fitness. And play your music via Bluetooth headphones.
For me when I am at the gym, I can leave my phone in the locker. And still be able to play and control my music, without the use of my phone.

Also I would still be able to get notifications and accept calls with my phone being in my locker. For me this is going to be awesome. So for certain situations you don't have to have your phone directly in your pocket. Another example I can leave my phone in my office, and be out in the garage tuning a car on the dyno with out my phone being in my pocket.

Another win for me is, I can't hear my phone with the car running on the dyno. With AW tapping my arm, when I have a notification coming in etc would be great. So u see for me, it will be very useful indeed. Like I said, some may not have use for it. While others will. Every body has defferent lifestyles. So to debate that the AW is useless, is just pointless to me.

I think you're missing the point.

What it comes down to is - there are still many things you can do on an Apple Watch that require an iPhone present. The point is - wouldn't it be great if you could take or leave the iPhone and the Apple Watch experience would be the same?

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
I think you're missing the point.

What it comes down to is - there are still many things you can do on an Apple Watch that require an iPhone present. The point is - wouldn't it be great if you could take or leave the iPhone and the Apple Watch experience would be the same?

Well that would be great, but the AW is not really design to replace your phone. It's more of a convenience type deal to me. Maybe in the near future it will work that way. But for now it for more of a convenience watch, gadget etc. that u wear on your arm. And let me tell u people will pay top dollar for anything that will be of convenience to them. Or making there life's a little easier. thats just the way it is, in the world today. I believe it's safe to say technology has played a major part in making our way of life easier over the years. The AW is just another tech, as well as an addition to the iPhone. To do just that.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I cancelled my preorder and decided to wait until  Watch is available in stores to buy or at least for in store pick up. Going all the way SB SS, leather loop,and black SG sport band

skyehigh

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Well that would be great, but the AW is not really design to replace your phone. It's more of a convenience type deal to me. Maybe in the near future it will work that way. But for now it for more of a convenience watch, gadget etc. that u wear on your arm. And let me tell u people will pay top dollar for anything that will be of convenience to them. Or making there life's a little easier. thats just the way it is, in the world today. I believe it's safe to say technology has played a major part in making our way of life easier over the years. The AW is just another tech, as well as an addition to the iPhone. To do just that.

Its a pointless gadget and this site is going to be in meltdown when problems arise on bluetooth not working or iPhone using up to much battery etc etc .
Its a certainty that sometime in the future Apple will be looking for this gadget to stand alone without the need for an iPhone.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Looks like "standard version" is winning :apple:

However, if allowed you to turn OFF bluetooth on the Apple watch, i'm sure it will get more than a day battery life, even with normal activities.. (of course just using a watch "as is"

I was thinking of this without an iPhone paring but i was disappointment to find u need a iPhone just to set it up ..

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-watch-without-your-iphone/

Apart, from that, its very limited without using a phone....

In much the same same iTunes has now distant itself from requiring a cable for activation, I'm sure Apple Watch will soon be (u can set up an Apple watch without a phone)...

I don't particularly with to pair a watch just to setup....

februarian

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Originally went for Milanese with SS, but my order was cancelled, went for Blue Leather Loop the second time, and Apple cancelled order again. Went for hunt on eBay and finally settled for SS with White sports band and a 24th Apr delivery date to boot!

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
I'm getting the silver aluminum with a blue sports band. The blue is my favourite from the color ones, but I'd get the watch with a black band instead for starters because that's the most important/versatile one, but it's not possible to get it with the silver body.

But I'll get the black one soon enough. Then I want the pink one. Then I want Ive to just release RED, Orange or Pikachu Yellow already.

I have no interest in other kinds of bands.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm just wondering since u pre-order, and only selective try-on's, what if when u get it its the wrong size.. too big... can u return within 14 days for correct size?:apple:

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I'm getting the silver aluminum with a blue sports band. The blue is my favourite from the color ones, but I'd get the watch with a black band instead for starters because that's the most important/versatile one, but it's not possible to get it with the silver body.

But I'll get the black one soon enough. Then I want the pink one. Then I want Ive to just release RED, Orange or Pikachu Yellow already.

I have no interest in other kinds of bands.

I don't buy the Aluminum because it is soft material and will scratch easy.

mikeydooodie

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
went for a try on today. very unimpressed, 42 mm is way too small for me. maybe if they come out with a 48-50mm id rethink it

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
It's interesting to see that the SS version is the definite favourite here, while polls run by other sites have all come out with the Sports version leading. I wonder if we all talked each other into thinking that the Sports model looks cheap.

Zakkates

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Naperville, IL
I purchased the Apple Watch Sport 42mm with White Band.

I didn't want the price increase of the SS this year because I'm anticipating an Apple Watch two in a year's time. Next go around though, I'm definitely buying the SS Apple Watch. It has such a solid premium feel to it and it fits well with so many different band styles....

I just wish we knew if Bands would be transferable to future Apple Watch versions... Probably not. :p

When a band can be up to $500, you would hope that at least that could be used for a few years, only upgrading your Apple Watch.

----------

I don't buy the Aluminum because it is soft material and will scratch easy.

I agree. I bought the Aluminium this first round but next year when Apple Watch II comes out, I'm going for the stainless steel.

Mr-Tickles

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
I decided to go with the Sport with Blue band. I wanted the SS but I don't wear any kind of jewelry. Now after I get the sport and really like it, I may decided to pay the extra and just give the sport to my gf.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I bought the 38 mm silver sports watch with white band.

I've also ordered the pink sports strap and Milanese loop but they haven't arrived yet.

iFoure

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
I'm gonna go with Apple Watch Sport: 38mm Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band ($349) This is the first watch by Apple so I'm gonna be cheap now and perhaps get the more expensive one when the Apple Watch 2 comes out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.