Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Two very different series.

Netflixs' Loudermilk is about a recovering alcoholic who runs group sessions for other alcohol and drug users. His caustic interactions with other people cover the fact that he deeply cares for the people he is supporting even as he verbally abuses them. In spite of all of this it is hilarious. Marvelous dialogue and very creative situations. One example - during an exchange with a couple who had just bought a Green and Green house down the street (evidently a thing in Seattle) he tells them that their house is not original that it is a replica. Needless to say they didn't take that well.

Originally on an AT&T network but taken over by Netflix. Watching this series is a great pick-me-up.

loudermilk.jpeg

The second series I am binging on is the complete opposite. It is a horror, supernatural, inter-dimensional, religious conspiracy (with an anti-pope) and much more movie. Not for weak stomachs - scenes from hell and some very unusual births shown in excruciating detail. Totally novel, can't compare it to any movies I've seen before. I'm in season 2 and I have only a vague idea who the good guys are or what is happening which makes it such a great watch.

"we’re dealing with a boxing, ex-convict priest who is fighting demonic forces through monster-of-the-week setups."

HBO Max.

30 coins.jpeg

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Two very different series.

Netflixs' Loudermilk is about a recovering alcoholic who runs group sessions for other alcohol and drug users. His caustic interactions with other people cover the fact that he deeply cares for the people he is supporting even as he verbally abuses them. In spite of all of this it is hilarious. Marvelous dialogue and very creative situations. One example - during an exchange with a couple who had just bought a Green and Green house down the street (evidently a thing in Seattle) he tells them that their house is not original that it is a replica. Needless to say they didn't take that well.

Originally on an AT&T network but taken over by Netflix. Watching this series is a great pick-me-up.

View attachment 2345268

I really enjoyed loudermilk.

However I did not care for the "Cutter" character story arc...

Reactions: Don Quixote

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I finished season 2 of Tourist. It was very bad. I enjoyed a lot season 1 but this one, I really don’t know what happened.

I’m also struggling with the new season of True Detective. Bad story, bad acting and boring. Maybe I’m too exigent but I have to pause several times and I struggle finishing episodes.

I’m looking forward though for the season 2 of Tokyo Vice, especially because I went to Japan for the first time a few months ago and season 1 was great.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I noticed that there is a new series called Tracker, where a " lone-wolf survivalist Colter Shaw, who roams the country as a "reward seeker," using his expert tracking skills to help private citizens and law enforcement to solve all manner of mysteries"

Is this like Reacher Lite? Is it worth me using up 40 minutes of my life to try it out?

Same with NCIS Sydney. Is this so cringeworthy, trotting out all the tired old Sydney/Aus. memes, that it is going to make any true Australian nauseous?

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I just binged this and it was great ... especially for all you sport fans like me. I learned a lot about Michael Jordan and the Bulls dynasty.

d37b95f4c1e97dd0451113295d267681a70d0f16293421f0c89ef715f77081aa.jpg

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
p346941_b_v8_ad.jpg
Cadfael. It’s an older Brit mystery set in the dark ages. Follows a monk (Derek Jacobi), with a crusader past, at an Abby in the town of Shrewsbury. Surprisingly well written stories and the sets and dressings are fabulous. Gives a real sense of being there and bringing that period to life.

Yes, we have been going through the Cadfael series as well.
Watched them decades ago when they first came out and are happy to re-watch them.

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
p346941_b_v8_ad.jpg
Cadfael. It’s an older Brit mystery set in the dark ages. Follows a monk (Derek Jacobi), with a crusader past, at an Abby in the town of Shrewsbury. Surprisingly well written stories and the sets and dressings are fabulous. Gives a real sense of being there and bringing that period to life.
... watched Derek Jacobi for the first time, years ago in 'I, Claudius', and then much more recently in 'Last Tango in Halifax' -- have not seen 'Cadfael', but reading your review, sure has me interested in looking into it. A fine actor.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Just started watching Yellowstone and Fringe.

Yellowstone is a soap opera with western vibe set in modern day Montana, and I enjoy it very much. Solid work by writers, production team, directors and cast. Not sure I'll rate it quite as high as IMDB does, 8.7 (at time of posting) seems a tad high, but still defendable. I'd probably rate it at a 7.5 or thereabouts. We are well into season 3 and plan to watch 1923 and 1883 as soon as we're done.

Fringe is a sort of X-files for the new millennium**, and with JJ Abrams at the helm and a solid 8.4 rating at IMDB, I had very high hopes. And what a let down it has been, at least so far (seen most of Season 1, so far), bad writing, directing and acting, and the "science" is so bad it makes me cringe. Many of the episodes has been so bad that I've been "zoning out" and rather focused om my computer or phone. That said, there are signs that the quality has gone a bit up in (some of) the latest episodes I've seen, so maybe the series needed some some time to "settle" a bit, and some of the longer story arches might also make it a bit more interesting going forward. But I'd still rate it at 5/10, max, based on (most of) Season 1.

**Less that's said about those two new seasons of X-files that came out a few years ago, the better.

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I've finally succumbed and restarted my apple sub to watch Masters of the Air.

I was really looking forward to it, but, I'm um, a bit disappointed. Only two episodes in, and will see it out but... hmmm...

Reactions: pachyderm

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Just started watching Yellowstone and Fringe.

Yellowstone is a soap opera with western vibe set in modern day Montana, and I enjoy it very much. Solid work by writers, production team, directors and cast. Not sure I'll rate it quite as high as IMDB does, 8.7 (at time of posting) seems a tad high, but still defendable. I'd probably rate it at a 7.5 or thereabouts. We are well into season 3 and plan to watch 1923 and 1883 as soon as we're done.

Fringe is a sort of X-files for the new millennium**, and with JJ Abrams at the helm and a solid 8.4 rating at IMDB, I had very high hopes. And what a let down it has been, at least so far (seen most of Season 1, so far), bad writing, directing and acting, and the "science" is so bad it makes me cringe. Many of the episodes has been so bad that I've been "zoning out" and rather focused om my computer or phone. That said, there are signs that the quality has gone a bit up in (some of) the latest episodes I've seen, so maybe the series needed some some time to "settle" a bit, and some of the longer story arches might also make it a bit more interesting going forward. But I'd still rate it at 5/10, max, based on (most of) Season 1.

**Less that's said about those two new seasons of X-files that came out a few years ago, the better.
The thing with Yellowstone is that it gets better & better throughout the different seasons. 1883 is one of my all time favorites show, I watched it again recently and it’s truly exceptional and moving. I wish more people would watch it.

Later I’m going to watch the last episode of True Detective. I was very disappointed by this season: cast is bad and too many family drama. Let’s see the end but I don’t expect something good.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I just finished Star Trek: Lower decks. I'm a Trekie but have never really been into animated series. I saw the crossover ep with Strange New Worlds and figured I'd check it out. I loved it and looking forward to S5.

But otherwise, I'm in a Parks & Rec rewatch.

This sounds right up my lane. sadly, I can only find it on BritBox in the US. I can not pay for another subscription service. :( Will have to see if my friend has it on his Plex.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I've finally succumbed and restarted my apple sub to watch Masters of the Air.

I was really looking forward to it, but, I'm um, a bit disappointed. Only two episodes in, and will see it out but... hmmm...

I almost gave up after the first 2 eps, partially because I just can't stand Austin Butler. He's nearing Chris Pratt level of annoying to me. lol. BUT I stuck with it for Ncuti Gatwa who will be in the final 2 eps and the overall story does get more interesting. The writing, sadly, does not. Perhaps too much for Orloff to handle an entire series.

Reactions: scubachap

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Lots of Derrick episodes online on the Kultkrimi Youtube channel:

Horst Tappert was a great actor. They had some pretty famous actors in that series regularly, even a few 007 villains like Klaus-Maria Brandauer and Curd Jürgens. Also Siegfried Rauch (Erich Stahler, Le Mans) and others. Actually he was in it a few times.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Lots of Derrick episodes online on the Kultkrimi Youtube channel:

Horst Tappert was a great actor. They had some pretty famous actors in that series regularly, even a few 007 villains like Klaus-Maria Brandauer and Curd Jürgens. Also Siegfried Rauch (Erich Stahler, Le Mans) and others. Actually he was in it a few times.
Horst Tappert (in his Derrick coat) and I in Munich late 1993:

derrick_and_i.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.