Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I've used @mac.com as my primary email since Apple made it available with iTools in the year 2000. 22 years? Geez, Louise.

More recently I've contemplated switching over to @iCloud.com because sometimes when someone asks for my email address, it's like they misunderstand me. I'm speaking clearly & articulately.

Person: "mac.com? M-A-C? like the Mac?"

Me: "Yes, exactly."

A couple of times I've had to spell it out.

Me: "mike alfa charlie.com." It's really weird!!

So I figured it would way simpler to be like "@icloud.com."

Reactions: artfossil

BeachDuc

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
NSW Australia
Like DHagan above, I do find I have to spell the M A C part of it, but my .mac address is my only email. By only I mean excluding my work email that I never use and a gmail I only use when signing up to companies I never want to hear from again (like online shopping) as I never check it.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Still use mine all the time. At one point I tried migrating my 3rd party accounts to me.com, but that was... just.... sad. So when iCloud came out, I moved them all back to @ mac.

fhamadeh

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
San Mateo, CA
Still have mac.com and me.com, but I can never get my me.com to show up as a sending address in Mail on macOS or iOS. I activate it on the iCloud website, but it never appears as an option in the desktop application or the phone app.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
For me email is too important to not have my own domain and full control over many aspects of it.

Fastmail has been a godsend and by far my favorite paid for service of the last decade.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Still have mac.com and me.com, but I can never get my me.com to show up as a sending address in Mail on macOS or iOS. I activate it on the iCloud website, but it never appears as an option in the desktop application or the phone app.
You’re not the first to mention this issue which is odd. I personally don’t have this issue but notable that you’re not alone in reporting it.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Who is still using theirs?
Personally, I do every time I can. I love still having such a short name, and I hope that Apple keeps it supported for years to come.
I do and use it. Also .me which I don't use.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Had mine since the iTools days. Was an employee tagged one and had the /employee in all the URLs until iCloud came along. Used to have employee only kbase for years after I left and some other things. Sadly in the conversation I don’t see anything special…unless iCloud wackiness is considered something special. It’s so old now I think there are glitches that mess with everything. The store does strange things to the family accounts and a lot of stuff doesn’t work correctly.

Ostagazuzulum

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
Still my primary account even though I have my own domain. Just short and snappy. I always think the Apple Store guys will think it’s cool - they never do sadly. ?
I too would think the Apple Store people would find it a little impressive, but most I think are too young to know/recognise or don’t care. @mac users should get at least a little VIP treatment ?

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
I missed the mac one by 10 months, got a me instead. I also got a gmail invite before it was public. Now I own a launch day ps5 lol

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I am and still have those welcome emails.

itools.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.