Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I have the @Mac version of my primary email address and four out of my five aliases also have @Mac as well as @me and @icloud. I have two of my aliases disabled as I've never used them.

Didn't they reduce the number of allowed aliases at some point from five down to three?

When did they stop issuing .mac?

I've never used the @mac.com or @icloud.com addresses, only ever the @me.com ones. I might start using @Mac, having seen this thread :)

I also have the legacy account name for the Apple Store (no email attached) which means that I need still to log with different accounts for the store/icloud.
Aye, same here. I would really like to be able to merge the two as it would make things a bit easier.

xyz369

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2022
The older ones would not be special then.......?
I don't see any obstacle to making this possible for the Apple, if of course they see the need for it. People are born and die, old people will not be able to feed Apple forever.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
My wife and I are continuing to use our @me.com email addresses. It's the easiest and most agnostic sounding of the options. Most people have no idea that it's an Apple one. Is there any reason not to use it? Will it stop working?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Update: seems my @me.com email address is tied to my @icloud.com, main email address.
From the Apple iCloud portal, I cannot set the @me.com as the default sending email domain. Doing so, merely has it switch to the @icloud.com domain.

Oh well...

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Update: seems my @me.com email address is tied to my @icloud.com, main email address.
From the Apple iCloud portal, I cannot set the @me.com as the default sending email domain. Doing so, merely has it switch to the @icloud.com domain.

Oh well...
Can't you just select it within Mail as the default...?

naoul

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
So something interesting happened recently.
Back in 2007, when Apple still had emails as a paid service, I created my first Apple account and had given @mac.com username but never had the email service associated to it (was a student… no $) . Since then, I have been using my @mac.com address to login but could never use it to send or receive emails. I made a few calls to Apple to see if that could be activated and used as part of my email address but the response I got was that because I never used the service that email cannot be activated. The Genius guys was very sorry but very nice to me.
So I gave up and sticked with my @icloud.com or @me.com whatever…

Until this week. Somehow, that @mac.con email appeared in my iCloud mailbox and I now can receive and send emails from it!! 15years later. Somebody might have done something in the backend! Thanks Apple guy/gal :)

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I just decided to try my @mac.com address, never having ever used it before. I receive monthly icloud storage bills to this account but cannot send to or receive any other email on it. However, my @me.com account works both ways. I just have to configure it to use the icloud backend for the mail server. Never wasted a penny on iTools either. I'm just old enough to have had an @mac.com account when Apple was all but pressing these on you.

Reactions: naoul

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
My grown daughter's .me.com never worked, Apple Support could not make it work! She is using .mac.com
Since I had that from the beginning, I decided to go back to .mac.com, too.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I still use mine.
Like any well established contact information, it's very hard to change.
And there is a certain amount of prestige in having a short and nice sounding email extension.
Unfortunately I have never liked the .icloud extension - it conjures up visions of spreadsheets, MS word and office furniture.

gothammacguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
I got my .mac email address as soon as Apple offered iTools. I love it and it is still my primary (private only to friends, banks, airlines).email where anything important goes. I have other accounts, both Apple (non-mac.com) and other providers such as gmail and outlook for junk, politics, etc.

I also got my mom to sign up for itools. She is 86 now and the only email address she has ever has was her first @mac.com. (first initial + lastname). We both love that we're the only people we know with .mac email addresses. Old school mac nerd.

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Just arrived at this ancient thread to report, yes I still use my @mac.com email as my main daily address. Not sure exactly when I obtained it, but I opened this macrumors account with it, in 2004, so it's at least that old !! I also opened the same name@gmail.com address for junk purposes, but the mac.com address is still the one I use most.

Edit: lol at my signature here!

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I registered my iTunes account on 6 July 2008 because I bought my first Mac just before that, a cMP3,1 which I still use.

For some annoying reason I received an @me.com email address even though it was before 9 July '08 and never got a @Mac address. Pretty annoying.

I still use the @me though.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
I use it as my Apple ID for purchases, but the email functionality expired as I didn't have a paid account at the time of the switch to MobileMe. Would love to restore email but I guess it ain't possible without making it an iCloud address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.