Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Been using both OS's for a while and I'm still having more mac issues than windows.
I'm going to get a SB before xmas, it just seems to work better and I'm now really buying into the new windows interface - the mac just feels kludgy..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For the price, I just can't justify it. I think overall when I first saw it, I was enthralled but the more I discern what's best for me, spending 2k on a 13" laptop (any laptop) is out of the question.

I'm leaning towards an iMac or another 15" rMBP at this point.

I'd like to know how well the SBs are working in people's hands, I'll have to google more reviews of them at this point.

I'm going to get a SB before xmas,
You might be able to score one on black friday for less.

Reactions: CE3

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
What getting an iPad pro - you're right i would hate myself if i was to do that, but I'm not going to.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Just dropped by the MS store, again, and got on the list for an SP4 i7/16/256.

Looking at early benchmarks, this thing is a screamer. The integrated GPU keeps up with, or some say trumps, the SB discrete GPU. I think this will be the bump over my SP3 i5 that I was looking for. Want something that won't struggle when pushing 2 big externals, maybe 3? We'll see?

Still, was very tempted by the new XPS line.

Will also continue to use my 27 iMac as my main system, but the SP4 will have to share portable time with my rMB.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looking at early benchmarks, this thing is a screamer.
Yeah, I'm feeling a little jealous, but overall I'm happy with my SP3. Its a little pokey using Lightroom and some of the plug-ins.

Still, was very tempted by the new XPS line.
Yeah, I like those as well, really nice. So they're at the Microsoft store? I'll have to check them out then

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Yeah, I'm feeling a little jealous, but overall I'm happy with my SP3. Its a little pokey using Lightroom and some of the plug-ins.

Yeah, I like those as well, really nice. So they're at the Microsoft store? I'll have to check them out then

Yep, they had the new XPS 13 and 15 there, signature editions that are slightly better configured than Dell online, but same price (eg. 512 vs 256). BTW, where are the MS stores in Boston? Will be there next week, and may need a backup plan, in case I don't get my SP4 before then.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's a MS store in the Prudential Shopping area, literally right across the street from the Apple Store on Boylston St.

Reactions: Cape Dave

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Windows 10 is a great OS and definitely is secure. May not be the best when it comes to privacy, but those options that sends info to Microshaft can be disabled. Windows 10 is an awesome OS and most times when people have crashing is not related directly to the is but to driver issues and people doing stupid **** the shouldn't be in the first place. All Mac fanboys think that they have the most secure OS but truth is more and more viruses, Trojans, malware etc is being coded for Mac. Especially now that the number of Mac users has increased. The Macs definitely have their advantages over he Windows PC's but they also have a hefty price tag compared to MOST pc's with similar specs.

No viruses EVER existed on OS X. A good OS DOES NOT need tinkering to be stable and OS X is capable of doing that unlike Windoze where every automatic updates corrupts the OS itself.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
OSX does a good job of being unstable... kernel panic, lots of other issues..
Stones, glasshouse, throwing, springs to mind..

Just saying.. Windows of late has CERTAINLY been more stable for me over that last two years than OS X.

Last edited by a moderator:

MPOW3RED

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2015
No viruses EVER existed on OS X. A good OS DOES NOT need tinkering to be stable and OS X is capable of doing that unlike Windoze where every automatic updates corrupts the OS itself.
No viruses ever? Are you from planet earth?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No viruses ever? Are you from planet earth?
Leman is correct, there have been no known viruses out in the wild for OS X. Malware yes, but then that includes different sort of nefarious type of apps, i.e., key loggers, trojans etc.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I was going to get a surface book. But thinking about it, I decided I didn't actually need to be able to detach the screen; I just wanted something where I could fold the keyboard out of the way and write on it with a digitizer pen. I discovered a version of the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 with an active pen (available only at Best Buy) and have been happy with that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I discovered a version of the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14

The latest Yoga machines are very nice, and I agree with you, I think the SurfaceBook would have been a better laptop had they decided to keep the keyboard attached to the screen.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Leman is correct, there have been no known viruses out in the wild for OS X. Malware yes, but then that includes different sort of nefarious type of apps, i.e., key loggers, trojans etc.

Well I'm going to disagree with that statement...
Malware is a form of virus and macs can get malware...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's all semantics, so this debate can get quite circular, but that seems backwards.

I think most folks would agree that malware is the umbrella term, and things like viruses, worms, trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, adware, scareware, keyboard loggers are all examples of specific types (forms) of malware.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you're splitting hairs, a computer virus is a self-replicating, self infecting program, its under the umbrella of malware, but not all malware is viruses.

Reactions: aristobrat

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I think you're splitting hairs, a computer virus is a self-replicating, self infecting program, its under the umbrella of malware, but not all malware is viruses.

Totally splitting hairs, but the point was a serious one.
OS X claims to be virus free, but most of the issues are not from viruses... its from other sources like adware, malware etc and OS X is just as if not more susceptible to "vulnerabilities".

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
I just went XPS 13, today, and I'm liking it. Still have the touch-screen, which will pretty much do for 80% of what I'd use a tablet for. I guess it's always a trade-off. I went XPS because it just seemed like such a great laptop, with touch capabilities to boot.

I did have a SP5 i7 in reserve, but am now thinking this is a better direction?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
OS X claims to be virus free, but most of the issues are not from viruses... its from other sources like adware, malware etc and OS X is just as if not more susceptible to "vulnerabilities".
I think this is like the whole "it Just Works" slogan. I think the last time Apple used that was almost 10 years ago (2006), but people still bring it up all the time, like Apple is still using it. Which they're not.

On that note, I can't recall the last time I've seen Apple tout that OS X is "virus free".

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013

I never get malware on my Mac even after visiting notorious Windoze malware laden websites.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
OS X is just as if not more susceptible to "vulnerabilities".
You really wouldn't say that if you had ever had to clean up after a true virus infection on Windows. The self-replication part of it is key and is what Macs are good at not allowing.

It has been a few years for me, but the memory lingers on.

On topic: most of the other hybrids like the Yoga haven't come with i7 processors, which makes them less "Pro" for my numeric needs.

B

Reactions: maflynn

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
OSX followed by iOS has more problems according to the experts..

OS-chart.jpg

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.