Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I won't be getting a SurfaceBook ... I'll be keeping my MBP and running Windows 10 on it exclusively. I don't know what the hell happened to Apple, their recent OSes have all been terrible.
I run on windows fairly often, so when I go back to my MBP, some things can be a pain, such as the Finder vs. File Explorer. Overall, though I think El Cap is a nice upgrade. I have serious concerns about apple rolling out major upgrades every year. I think their track record for such is not stellar. I liked the old way of releasing upgrades - not releasing it until they're ready.

I have time, I'm not looking to get a new computer until next year, so I have the luxury of time on my side to see what the next MBP looks like but as I stated I'm having a hard time justifying spending 2,000 on a laptop (any laptop MS or Apple).

Reactions: Queen6

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I run on windows fairly often, so when I go back to my MBP, some things can be a pain, such as the Finder vs. File Explorer. Overall, though I think El Cap is a nice upgrade. I have serious concerns about apple rolling out major upgrades every year. I think their track record for such is not stellar. I liked the old way of releasing upgrades - not releasing it until they're ready.

I have time, I'm not looking to get a new computer until next year, so I have the luxury of time on my side to see what the next MBP looks like but as I stated I'm having a hard time justifying spending 2,000 on a laptop (any laptop MS or Apple).

Certainly. I miss never having any issues within OS X. Strange how the pendulum seems to have swung the other way.

I mean, unlike most here the reason I buy Apple laptops isn't really for the OS (it's certainly a nice bonus) but rather the reliability of their hardware. Honestly, I think they make some of the best hardware in the industry. My 2012 MBP is still alive and kicking ... I really have no reason to replace it. While the Surface Book is impressive, I'm simply not in the market for another laptop at the moment.

I own a Surface 3, and that's really my main portable machine as I don't really do any heavy computing on the go.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
A person in my structural engineering class had his surface book yesterday.

Definitely Mac level build quality. As a laptop it is a bit awkward to open if you are not used to it. You definitely won't be opening it with one hand. The screen is gorgeous. The trackpad is the closest I've seen to the Mac side. It's still not quite to Mac level, but it's almost there.

The person complained about rampant bugs and issues though. His Surface Book BOSD'd right in the middle of class. Thankfully it was near the end of the lecture as he uses it as his note taking device.

Overall, I was impressed. I'd be lying if I said I didn't badly want one. The issues were off-putting, and the bosd reminded me that Windows 10 is still windows at the end of the day. I'll give MS the benefit of the doubt since this is a complicated first gen product.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Like all it will take Microsoft some time to workout the software/firmware bugs, it`s the way of the industry is. New hardware combined with a relatively new OS, best to hold off a few months, same as 10.11 or a new Apple product.
This was the major reason why I waited on the SP3 and I'm glad I did. There were some teething issues, nothing major but definitely some bugs. I expect the same with the Surface Book.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
Why is that pathetic?

These days that really does not mean anything.

If you can't see why it's pathetic if Apple is still selling a premium priced "high end" laptop with two generation old procs when it's competitors are selling comparable machines with the current gen procs for less, then it's not worth having the conversation. It has nothing to do with the marginal increase in performance and everything to do with paying a premium price for two year old tech and the fact that the company that fanboys worship for being innovative hasn't bothered to update it's products.

You're also wrong in misconstruing my dissatisfaction with my prediction for Apple/January 2016 as being critical of the decision to skip Broadwell for the 15".

User error...Mine is just fine for over a year. MacMini for over 2 years. No, I don't worship Steve Jobs or anyone, but God.

MBP just locked up with only Safari open while surfing MR. After 45 seconds screen when black. Hit power button to turn it back on and it started from a cold boot. You're right, seems like a dumb user. Apple is infallible.

Last edited by a moderator:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If you can't see why it's pathetic if Apple is still selling a premium priced "high end" laptop with two generation old procs when it's competitors are selling comparable machines with the current gen procs for less, then it's not worth having the conversation. It has nothing to do with the marginal increase in performance and everything to do with paying a premium price for two year old tech and the fact that the company that fanboys worship for being innovative hasn't bothered to update it's products.

The Skylake processors for the Macbook Pros (either size) are not yet available from Intel...

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
The Skylake processors for the Macbook Pros (either size) are not yet available from Intel...

I figure the 15" would probably use the 6700HQ base with options for the 6820HQ and 6920HQ. All three have a TDP of 45 which is in line with the 4770HQ at 47 TDP for the current version.

I can order a MSI laptop from Newegg today with a 6700HQ proc, so I'm not entirely sure which procs you're thinking that Apple will need but aren't available today, much less in January. To recap, I predicted that Apple would still be offering their high end machines in January for $3k using 2 generation old procs, which I consider to be pathetic in light of the fact that I can order a machine today with the proc they'll likely offer when they finally do update the machines.

I hope I'm wrong. Would really like to get a Skylake MBP before the end of the year.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Just sold my Mac, going surface book. Anyone else making a change? I'm simply sick of the Nickel and diming Apple does. $20 for a usb-c to usb cable which should be included, two USB-C multi port adapters for $79 a piece, extra power brick which of course doesn't come with the USB-C cable.

This unit has a detachable 13/5 inch screen, the screen quality 3000x2000 is incredible.
13 hour battery life
Upgradable base/dgpu
latest skylake processors

Gotta say guys, I think Microsoft has hit a homerun here. Not a fanboy of either company but
they have hit a homerun. I have used macs the past 5 years, it's time for a change.
tried one yesterday. Half baked product.
Light years from my MBP.
No thank you.

I always found this depiction of Microsoft innovation to be appropriate:

SurfaceInnovation.jpeg
And if you actually try it, you would find out how appropriate that image is .... half baked product

Ahhhhhhhh....

Typical troll move.

At first:

You spoke against the 2015 MacBook Retina...

No you are comparing the Surface Book with the MacBook Pro.

That MBP has more ports that the SB, yet, it's thinner that the SB.
... and the MBP is at least able to actually CLOSE its lid :D

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I figure the 15" would probably use the 6700HQ base with options for the 6820HQ and 6920HQ. All three have a TDP of 45 which is in line with the 4770HQ at 47 TDP for the current version.

I can order a MSI laptop from Newegg today with a 6700HQ proc, so I'm not entirely sure which procs you're thinking that Apple will need but aren't available today, much less in January. To recap, I predicted that Apple would still be offering their high end machines in January for $3k using 2 generation old procs, which I consider to be pathetic in light of the fact that I can order a machine today with the proc they'll likely offer when they finally do update the machines.

I hope I'm wrong. Would really like to get a Skylake MBP before the end of the year.

Right TDP. No Iris Pro graphics.

Those chips haven't even been announced yet by Intel so far as I know.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I spent a little quality time with the SB at the Microsoft Store on Saturday. It's a nice box, but I am not sure that it's enough to displace me from the Mac at home or recommending the SP4 for work over the SP3.

I was impressed with the trackpad and the general build quality, but the surface finish didn't feel quite durable enough for me. It somehow felt plasticky to me even though I know it's supposed to be Magnesium.

I'm also not sure how the hinge design will hold up. It seemed a bit loose/wobbly in operation and since it doesn't fold flat I don't know how that may impact my very tight travel bag.

B

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I spent a little quality time with the SB at the Microsoft Store on Saturday. It's a nice box, but I am not sure that it's enough to displace me from the Mac at home or recommending the SP4 for work over the SP3.
I agree with you on all points. I think if the price point was a lower then it would be a more serious contender. As it stands now I'm having a hard time swallowing the 2k price tag for a 13" laptop. Thanks to my SP3, my computing needs are more decidely desktop related and so I'd rather spend the 2k on a more powerful desktop I think.

I was impressed with the trackpad and the general build quality, but the surface finish didn't feel quite durable enough for me. It somehow felt plasticky to me even though I know it's supposed to be Magnesium.
I was impressed with the build quality - I think it felt rock solid. The trackpad, especially for PCs is a big improvement. I have no idea why no PC maker can really make a decent trackpad.

I'm also not sure how the hinge design will hold up. It seemed a bit loose/wobbly in operation and since it doesn't fold flat I don't know how that may impact my very tight travel bag.
This is my biggest issue, between debris getting in between the keys/screen to the wear and tear on the fulcrum hinge.

Overall as time goes on, I'm still impressed with the design, though questions and concerns do exist. Overall however I think an iMac may be a better buy for my limited funds :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Thanks to my SP3, my computing needs are more decidely desktop related and so I'd rather spend the 2k on a more powerful desktop I think.

Yeah, I just got a Dell Precision T5810 Workstation from work to satisfy my main high performance needs. The SP3/4 is my travel work box, and my 13" MPB 11,1 is what I'm on now. I will often just RDP over to the desktop from the MBP or the SP3 if I want to be mobile in the house.

I am tempted to pick up the new SP4 smart keyboard for my SP3 though. The new trackpad is MUCH nicer.

B

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am tempted to pick up the new SP4 smart keyboard for my SP3 though. The new trackpad is MUCH nicer.
I'm going to be doing that today :)

In what seems to be a rarity for me, I'm in the office today which gives me the opportunity to visit the MS store in the Pru. Given my employer I may be able to swing an EDU discount (I have in the past) so that will help with the bottom line as well

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/compare/88972,88970,88969,88967

At least look up the processors before you post. They all use Intel HD 530 graphics, which far behind the Iris Pro 6200. There apparently aren't even broadwell mobile CPUs with the 6200 shipping in mass quantities yet. I can't even find a laptop running the 5750HQ, which should be the processor that would run in the base 15" rMBP. Why do you think the new VAIO Z Canvas is using a Haswell CPU with Iris Pro 5200?

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

B
Did you actually try to use it on your LAP ? Being a LAPtop I would like it to be usable on my lap....
The notebook is totally unbalanced due to the hardware contained in the display, and the ugly hinge doesn't even allow the lid to actually CLOSE (a welcome party for dust and dirt).

http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/compare/88972,88970,88969,88967

At least look up the processors before you post. They all use Intel HD 530 graphics, which far behind the Iris Pro 6200. There apparently aren't even broadwell mobile CPUs with the 6200 shipping in mass quantities yet. I can't even find a laptop running the 5750HQ, which should be the processor that would run in the base 15" rMBP. Why do you think the new VAIO Z Canvas is using a Haswell CPU with Iris Pro 5200?
This.
Actually the last usable chip is the Broadwell i5 of the 13" MBP, with a decent integrated GPU. But for a decent i7 Apple is waiting for Intel next generation.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Did you actually try to use it on your LAP ? Being a LAPtop I would like it to be usable on my lap....

I did actually as that is my major beef with the SP3/4. I found it acceptable. Similar to my 13" MBA, but less than my 13" MBP. The 11" MBA is my favorite lap computer, but both MBAs have similar wobbly displays for me to the SB.

B

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Cool story bro. Windows is a deal breaker for me. I will never voluntarily go there.
I'm actually super impressed with the Surface Book, and would very very strongly consider it if it ran Mac OS X.

Same boat. I buy Mac laptops for hardware + software. But the Book looks very comparable hardware wise. But the software is the deal breaker.

Reactions: cbautis2

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I did actually as that is my major beef with the SP3/4. I found it acceptable. Similar to my 13" MBA, but less than my 13" MBP. The 11" MBA is my favorite lap computer, but both MBAs have similar wobbly displays for me to the SB.

B
the device is totally unbalanced and every serious review has pointed out... How could you compare it to a MBA ?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
the device is totally unbalanced and every serious review has pointed out... How could you compare it to a MBA ?

Because I find both of my MBAs less stable than my rMBP in "lap mode" and I didn't feel that the SB was significantly worse. My Microsoft store still has a lounge area in the back so I asked it I could take it there to the couch and used it for about 5 minutes on my lap.

B

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
Been using an i7/512gb/16gb model since the launch day last week.

Didn't have a single day without a problem; all bunch of BSODs, gpu driver crashes, screen hues, screen flickering, not being able to undock, terrible battery life, loosing mouse cursor, unresponsive touch screen, failing windows updates etc. etc.

Biggest of all is (was my own fault that I left my rMBP at home), using this on a group meeting to present some data via powerpoint 2016. It was freezing every 4-5 slide (no animation or heavy graphics), it was hell to wait for it to reboot. I still have no clue how this ended up on the market without a proper QC?

I was very very impressed during the unboxing, built quality looked top notch but it was half baked...

The sad part is that the MS tech support offers this solution to almost anyone who calls in:

Download a "recovery partition" (~4.8gb)
Prepare a USB flash drive, fat32 formatting, 16gb minimum etc.
Create bootable flash drive with this recovery image.
Boot into bios, change UEFI settings
Then try to perform clean install Win10.

All these just to see you are still having same issues as before, and they offer you to wait a little longer to fixing the issues with upcoming updates.

I am returning my unit tomorrow. It was not a joy to play with it. My 2007 MBP is still offers smoother browsing experience than SB.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Great hardware that comes with pathetic software = garbage.

Better off buying a real laptop like rMBP or MBA. You'll never get frustrated again.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013

Didn't have a single day without a problem; all bunch of BSODs, gpu driver crashes, screen hues, screen flickering, not being able to undock, terrible battery life, loosing mouse cursor, unresponsive touch screen, failing windows updates etc. etc.

Biggest of all is (was my own fault that I left my rMBP at home), using this on a group meeting to present some data via powerpoint 2016. It was freezing every 4-5 slide (no animation or heavy graphics), it was hell to wait for it to reboot. I still have no clue how this ended up on the market without a proper QC?

I was very very impressed during the unboxing, built quality looked top notch but it was half baked...

The sad part is that the MS tech support offers this solution to almost anyone who calls in:

All these just to see you are still having same issues as before, and they offer you to wait a little longer to fixing the issues with upcoming updates.

I am returning my unit tomorrow. It was not a joy to play with it. My 2007 MBP is still offers smoother browsing experience than SB.

I was very disappointed with the Surface Book Launch. MS really screwed it up. I expect they will have it all sorted in a couple of months, however the number of customers they will lose during that time will hurt.

I am glad I cancelled my Surface book pre-order. Bought the 512GB Vaio Z Canvas instead. Been working like a champ with zero crashes since I fired it up. Of course, it isn't a fair comparison, since the Vaio has been on the market for 5 months in Japan and is just now releasing here. So they had plenty of time to work out the kinks.

I am coming from a 2011 MBA with OSx (my first OSX computer) and Windows 7, so I am now learning Windows 10. I don't mind it so far. OSX was a beast to learn coming from Windows, and hasn't been totally problem free, so its all about what you know and are comfortable with. Like Coke and Pepsi.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013

I'm curious if a fresh install would help.

On my SP3, I had tons of issues with Windows 10 doing weird things - including, literally not letting me open any application if I was away from wifi.

But after a fresh install - it went away and I've been problem free for a few months now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.