Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The SB and SP4 are awesome.

I don't need the dGPU though, and the batte

I'm curious if a fresh install would help.

On my SP3, I had tons of issues with Windows 10 doing weird things - including, literally not letting me open any application if I was away from wifi.

But after a fresh install - it went away and I've been problem free for a few months now.

Re-read his post he did the fresh install as per MSes instructions and had exactly the same problems after.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Re-read his post he did the fresh install as per MSes instructions and had exactly the same problems after.

He didn't say that at all.

All he said was that Microsoft recommended it for everyone and then he kind of poopooed the idea, seemingly thinking it was frivolous.

But it worked for me - so I'm wondering if he actually did it...

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
You know the Surface Book with the better internals costs like $2500 right? No idea what your budget is or which Mac you used previously, but at that price the Surface Book is easily as expensive as what Apple is offering, if not more.

It's actually $2699. My new 2015 MBP 15" retina with the Force Touch trackpad and 512 SSD was $2499. And I don't have to use Windows

Reactions: sunapple

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Way too invested in the ecosystem to jump ship.

iTunes Match, iCloud Photos, and everything else iCloud syncing my 3 active personal systems and 2 iOS devices. I also use Logic as well which is OSX only.

So they have me by the balls. Its a nice sensation however.

Will probably Boot Camp Windows 10 at some point to check it out.

Reactions: SSD-GUY

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
He didn't say that at all.

All he said was that Microsoft recommended it for everyone and then he kind of poopooed the idea, seemingly thinking it was frivolous.

But it worked for me - so I'm wondering if he actually did it...

"All these just to see you are still having same issues as before, and they offer you to wait a little longer to fixing the issues with upcoming updates."

That was his quote it seems clear to me but you read into it whatever you like.

jdmar2004

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
I stopped using my iPad long ago and now stick to my iPhone and 2015 MBP 15". I agree with apple that a touchscreen on a laptop simply doesn't work and love using the gestures on my trackpad. I run windows 10 via bootcamp bc I thinks its important to be familiar with both OS's but I'm way faster on OS X and enjoy it a lot more. Window's 10 is ok though and I like being able to game on my mac.

Reactions: cbautis2

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
On my SP3, I had tons of issues with Windows 10 doing weird things - including, literally not letting me open any application if I was away from wifi.
Windows 10 has been going well for me, no problems at all. I did not need to deal with a clean install or anything.

Way too invested in the ecosystem to jump ship.
I used to think that way and then I examined what I actually use my Mac for.
Office
Lightroom
Photoshop
iTunes
Accessing my work stuff, including using RDP.
Surfing/email/facebook

In all examples above, the apps I use on the Mac are available on Windows. YMMV and my results are not indicative of yours ;)

I stopped using my iPad long ago and now stick to my iPhone
I did too, mostly thanks to the 6 plus. It wasn't an overt decision, I just started using my phone more and my tablet less.

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Blue screens are a thing of the past. I had plenty of kernel panics coming out of standby mode on my mac.

Yeah that's incorrect, coming from a person that got the Surface Book day one and I use it for 'real work' not email i've had at minimum 4 crashes a day including blue screens where the computer made loud noises while it went through the collecting data for microsoft bit.

Note I even did a full wipe of the OS and the issues persisted.

Only thing that went well is Microsoft has a great team for assisting in returns. Avoid 1st gen Surface Book wait on 2nd gen!

See attached photos and I uploaded some videos of it as well:

Random graphical issues:

Almost daily blue screen odd noise crash:

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 176
Reactions: Vetvito

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
I'm thinking about selling my 2015 15, 2.8, 1TB, dgpu MBP and buying a SB..... Yeah not so much!!!!

I think people are getting bored with Apple doing pretty much everything right all the time so they are doing crazy things like RE Trying windows products. They will regret it and come back one day.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
How's that Windows trackpad working out?

Despite being a touch screen – still surely do plenty of interfacing with the touchpad? And already saw a review or two saying something along the lines of "MS have promised a driver update shortly" in response to trackpad issues...

Still one of the single biggest differentiators between PC and Mac, imo.

That, and the relative ease with which you can build workflows across multiple disparate apps in OSX – as opposed to Windows, that seems more focused on using Macros etc. to make one more efficient inside a specific, individual app...

This new Windows machine looks very interesting – and great that something has come along that will force Apple to sit up and take a bit of notice – but honestly, still a long way to go before I would seriously consider switching back... Each to their own, and all that, obviously. Really great seeing actual feedback here from users – please keep sharing!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
How's that Windows trackpad working out?

Despite being a touch screen – still surely do plenty of interfacing with the touchpad? And already saw a review or two saying something along the lines of "MS have promised a driver update shortly" in response to trackpad issues...

The TH2 update that was released late last week/over the weekend has improved scrolling response in Windows touchpads dramatically. Someone skilled was obviously assigned to this task alone for this update, because as someone who has complained about trackpad scrolling in Windows for years, it's actually really, really good now. I can't say that's the case in every Windows program - but in Edge and most other programs I've tried - it now has that sensation of feeling like your fingers are directly connected to the screen that previously you only got on a Mac.

Reactions: Cassady

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Windows 7 & 10 are both solid operating systems. I don't think I've had a system crash on my desktop in the 4 years I've owned it. That said, the mid to high end Surface products are overpriced, even by Apple's standards, and the Surface Book takes that to a whole new level. Add that to all the mixed reviews and bugs being reported.. No thanks.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I've been a happy Mac user for well over a decade, but I use Windows at work, and use a Surface Pro 3 on a daily basis. Windows 10 isn't as good as OSX, but consider what I use my computer for:

• Web browsing (NBA highlights, Facebook, Gmail, paying bills, trolling forums with my h8te)
  • Office
  • torrenting Japanese shows for my wife (and English subtitles for me).
  • Lightroom (both RAW and JPEGs.
  • iTunes, but only to sync my Nokia 930 via cable because I'm "old fashioned".
  • Citrix for work (I do have some issues).

Windows 10 wouldn't affect my ability to do any of those things equally well. The web and Lightroom experience would be the same, and Office and Citrix experiences would probably be better for me. Torrenting Japanese shows?? Doesn't affect that. The only thing about W10 that I don't like is "File Explorer" (or whatever it's called). I'm OK with everything else.

I need to replace my 4.5 year old 2011 11.6" MBA because the battery life stinks when compared to new machines (in 2011, its battery only lasted me 5 hours anyway), it runs Lightroom poorly if I shoot RAW, and "I want new stuff". The problem is that Apple doesn't offer me ANYTHING that I want to replace it with.

I'd go for another MBA -- a 13" model this time -- if it weren't for the screen from what seems like 2011. (Oh wait, it's probably from 2011).

I'd go for the MacBook if it had TWO USB-C ports rather than just one, but I feel Apple really screwed up that design decision because other than the single port issue, it looks like a very nice machine.

I think the 13" rMBP is great, except I find it too heavy now. I don't really need the ultra-portability of an MBA, but I LIKE portability, especially when using it on the couch. That, and I'm a weakling who complains too much.

Soooo......a Surface Pro 4 for personal use, or even a Surface Book, would suit me well. The SP4's tablet mode would be great when I'm surfing the web on the couch, reading articles, +1'ing nasty Youtube comments, etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The SP4's tablet mode would be great when I'm surfing the web on the couch, reading articles
That's more or less my usage of the SP3, very light and portable. Use it on my recliner, or easily throw it in my bag when I'm taking a quick trip.

I kept debating about selling the SP3 and getting the retina MacBook but because the SP3 has a docking station available which I own, that easily increases the ports without increasing the web of wires.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
@Abstract, you do know that the Surface Book's weight ( in laptop mode of course ) is almost identical to the 13" rMBP's? Since you're complaining about how heavy you find the 13" rMBP ( ~1.5kg ), it automatically disqualifies the Surface Book as an alternative. Just saying... Citrix is garbage and I truly believe that the sole purpose of that pile of * is to make our lives a living Hell. I hate it with a burning passion...

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The SP4's tablet mode would be great when I'm surfing the web on the couch, reading articles, +1'ing nasty Youtube comments, etc.
My favorite couch computer is still the 11" MBA.

The SP3 is OK without the keyboard, but if I want to do something more involved and want the keyboard the kickstand gets in the way. It's not stable on non-flat surfaces.

As a keyboard junkie, in pure tablet mode I'm continually frustrated about things I can't do with the On screen keyboard.

B

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Good luck with terrible window scaling, random app crash and BSODs, overheating issues, privacy issues and so on and so forth.
Nothing of those craps.In national tv station i work all our dell workstations are upgraded to windows 10 edit video and make graphics 24/7 fast and reliable in the meantime our mac pros are stuck in 10.8.5.Be fair microsoft developed windows 10 for three years with result an amazing os while apple release a rotten os every year.

Last edited:

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Vaio Z Canvas tablet just dropped the bomb on all Surface devices and 15" i7 MBP. It beat them in all comparison benchmarks except battery.

Reactions: fieldsphotos

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
@Abstract, you do know that the Surface Book's weight ( in laptop mode of course ) is almost identical to the 13" rMBP's? Since you're complaining about how heavy you find the 13" rMBP ( ~1.5kg ), it automatically disqualifies the Surface Book as an alternative. Just saying... Citrix is garbage and I truly believe that the sole purpose of that pile of * is to make our lives a living Hell. I hate it with a burning passion...

That's true, but if I'm going to buy a 13" rMBP, I may as well buy the SB instead, since I can actually do something on it that I couldn't possibly do on the 13" rMBP: use the tablet.

And I have no other option but to use Citrix for work. I don't need to work from home, and this is purely as a home machine. However, I find that nowadays, I do sneak in a bit of work from home from time to time, and it's much easier if I bring my Surface Pro 3 home to do it.

Same goes for RDPing to my desktop. It actually works slightly better on the Surface Pro 3.

My favorite couch computer is still the 11" MBA.

The SP3 is OK without the keyboard, but if I want to do something more involved and want the keyboard the kickstand gets in the way. It's not stable on non-flat surfaces.

As a keyboard junkie, in pure tablet mode I'm continually frustrated about things I can't do with the On screen keyboard.

B

I agree, but I'm not going to buy an 11" MBA when it's so close to 2016. It's expensive for what it is. I'd rather buy the 2015 MacBook and try to live without ports. Then again, why should I live without ports? ;)

What you said is part of the conundrum. All I want is a MacBook with the updated Core M (found in the Surface Pro 4), or a 13" MBA with Retina display. Either or.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Vaio Z Canvas tablet just dropped the bomb on all Surface devices and 15" i7 MBP. It beat them in all comparison benchmarks except battery.

Price, screen size, the stylus isn't suppose to be as responsive as others (see cnet review), and the battery is a joke...all those ruin it for me.

Reactions: leman

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Have you checked out the new XPS 13 and 15 units?

Surface Book is interesting, but the XPS 15 blows it away, IMOHO. For about $500 less than a high-end out Surface Book, you get:
- Lighter
- About the same footprint
- Quad, vs Dual core Skylake CPU
- Better NVIDIA GPU
- 2+" more screen, while being about the same size as the SB
- Better screen, IMOHO

All for $500 less than the Surface Book.

And the XPS 13 is about as powerful as the non-discrete GPU SB, but for less money and a lot less size/weight. It's about like the 11.6 MBA, but with a13" ultra-high res screen.

Reactions: Dead0k

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Have you checked out the new XPS 13 and 15 units?

Surface Book is interesting, but the XPS 15 blows it away, IMOHO. For about $500 less than a high-end out Surface Book, you get:
- Lighter
- About the same footprint
- Quad, vs Dual core Skylake CPU
- Better NVIDIA GPU
- 2+" more screen, while being about the same size as the SB
- Better screen, IMOHO

All for $500 less than the Surface Book.

And the XPS 13 is about as powerful as the non-discrete GPU SB, but for less money and a lot less size/weight. It's about like the 11.6 MBA, but with a13" ultra-high res screen.

Yeah, try using a trackpad on the XPS 13/15 if you're coming from a Mac trackpad.

The SP4 also has the tiniest trackpad, that's why I have a MBA 11 as my portable netbook. Yes the screen isnt amazing, but the keyboard and trackpad more than make up for it.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
Price, screen size, the stylus isn't suppose to be as responsive as others (see cnet review), and the battery is a joke...all those ruin it for me.

In that review they compared the stylus against a Wacom Cintiq, not a Surface. I have used both and own the Vaio - the stylus performance is the same as the SP4/SB. It can even use the same wintab drivers from the Surface support site.

I do miss the extra screen real estate over a 15". Battery life is the trade-off for the quad core CPU with 15" MBP-like performance. Its all about the compromises when you are buying a portable machine.

MPOW3RED

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2015
Windows 10 is a great OS and definitely is secure. May not be the best when it comes to privacy, but those options that sends info to Microshaft can be disabled. Windows 10 is an awesome OS and most times when people have crashing is not related directly to the is but to driver issues and people doing stupid **** the shouldn't be in the first place. All Mac fanboys think that they have the most secure OS but truth is more and more viruses, Trojans, malware etc is being coded for Mac. Especially now that the number of Mac users has increased. The Macs definitely have their advantages over he Windows PC's but they also have a hefty price tag compared to MOST pc's with similar specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.