Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I would still love to know how it is that I can listen to a good few shows on AM and not actually hear that much rap.

Do we get different music in the UK? it must be very complicated with the bits in between the music if they do that though.

I used to think that maybe all the people saying it was all rap and hip hop were mistaken, but even now, weeks later, they still seem pretty sure of that fact.

Which in itself is odd, because if they thought it was all rap and hip hop, so hadn't been listening, how would they even know that?

So confused right now.

I'm the same. I don't hear that much.

I think the people still complaining aren't actually listening and just want to moan or they're deliberately tuning in to shows like Ebro's or The Pharmacy, where they're going to get hip hop/rap

rd1981

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
Saint Petersburg Florida
Wow, so Mary J. Bilge has her own program now. I've been a fan of her since "Real Love". I like where Beats1 is headed. Keeping things interesting. I also can't wait to hear what HAIM is all about tonight.

Last edited:

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Not sure if Apple and Beats 1 read about the criticism around the web, but I've been listening to it a lot lately and boy, the diversity is quite notable now! Pretty happy now with Beats 1!

Brooke Reese's Chart show is my favourite :D

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Not sure if Apple and Beats 1 read about the criticism around the web, but I've been listening to it a lot lately and boy, the diversity is quite notable now! Pretty happy now with Beats 1!

Brooke Reese's Chart show is my favourite :D

You mean when you actually gave it a fair shot, and listened to a variety of shows you discovered it actually wasn't wall to wall rap and hip hop?

Nope - I don't think that's a change resulting from criticism, its been like that since the start, as people have been saying on here for ages, as backed up by various published stats.

:p

Reactions: shandyman

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
You mean when you actually gave it a fair shot, and listened to a variety of shows you discovered it actually wasn't wall to wall rap and hip hop?

Nope - I don't think that's a change resulting from criticism, its been like that since the start, as people have been saying on here for ages, as backed up by various published stats.

:p
I gave it a fair shot since the beginning and it's always been rap and hip/hop—and not even the good one. But yeah, I listen to it around 5 hours daily in the morning and I've been listening to more diverse music lately.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
Hmmm, listened in after some months and right the first track was ugly hip hop/club mixup 8(

Oh my god and the followup sound like someone broke the turntable... Some strange thing called "Gosh"

#3 strange hip hop with megabass that nearly kills my woofer.

#4 a very depressive sounding club tune with way to much rapping

#5 a strange club song

-> Beats1 off

Honest - Where do I have to search on Beats1 to get normal music with singing and a melody?

Reactions: tonyr6

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Hmmm, listened in after some months and right the first track was ugly hip hop/club mixup 8(

Oh my god and the followup sound like someone broke the turntable... Some strange thing called "Gosh"

#5 a strange club song

-> Beats1 off

Honest - Where do I have to search on Beats1 to get normal music with singing and a melody?

Beats 1 was designed for one purpose only: to attract the young people and minorities who are the bread and butter of Android phone sales.

It's a stupid silly marketing ploy, and as painfully obvious as the Beats headphone buyout.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

#5 a strange club song

-> Beats1 off

I tuned in the other day and I heard something totally different. The Beach Boys, The Beatles, New Radicals, Ray LaMontagne, Eurhythmics, Kylie Minogue, Donna Summer.

See how different it can be....

Reactions: johngordon

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004

#5 a strange club song

-> Beats1 off

Gosh by Jamie XX? That's a phenomenal track!

He's very current and contemporary. In Colour, the album Gosh is from, received a lot of critical and popular acclaim, and quite rightly so IMO:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/in-colour/jamie-xx

Fact is, if you are into more mainstream stuff (although I don't think Jamie XX is that out there), then you're already well served by plenty of radio stations. People into new current, slightly left of the mainstream are served far less well.
[doublepost=1467573951][/doublepost]
I tuned in the other day and I heard something totally different. The Beach Boys, The Beatles, New Radicals, Ray LaMontagne, Eurhythmics, Kylie Minogue, Donna Summer.

See how different it can be....

Exactly - its pointless forming an opinion of it based on randomly switching it on for 20 minutes. Maybe its beyond people to do even a little research into the different shows to get an idea of what they all play, and which ones they are more likely to enjoy.
[doublepost=1467574037][/doublepost]
Beats 1 was designed for one purpose only: to attract the young people and minorities who are the bread and butter of Android phone sales.

It's a stupid silly marketing ploy, and as painfully obvious as the Beats headphone buyout.

Or anyone who still has a healthy interest in discovering new, slightly left of the mainstream music. I actually take a little offence that you equate that demographic with a "stupid, silly marketing ploy".

Last edited:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Or anyone who still has a healthy interest in discovering new, slightly left of the mainstream music. I actually take a little offence that you equate that demographic with a "stupid, silly marketing ploy".

If you're in that demographic, then yes, you should be offended that Apple cynically thinks playing some rap music, and buying Beats headphones will sway you to their brand. You can just picture the conference room full of middle age white men, "We should buy the company that makes those big red headphones all those kids are wearing!"

And what is "left of mainstream" music? Enlighten me. Marxist?

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
There's no convincing you, as you're just determined to dislike it. Again, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that it's not music.
It has nothing to do with like/dislike of the "song". There are many songs I don't like that are clearly music - I'm missing this in Gosh and want to know what transforms a beat with noise into music for you.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
People either like something or not, its very difficult to explain exactly why you like something in any sort of objective way.

I just love the way it builds up the loops from something pretty sparse into an amazing multi layered ending. The second half is obviously catchier when the keyboards come in, and it builds and picks up pace from there. Absolutely love this track.

And it seems I'm not alone, Rolling Stone had it as one of their top songs last year:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/25-best-songs-of-2015-so-far-20150630/jamie-xx-gosh-20150630

Same here:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/11/top-50-songs-of-2015/4/

Pichfork listed the album as their 3rd best album last year:

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9764-the-50-best-albums-of-2015/?page=5

They describe Gosh as "Soaring synch melodies" which just about sums it up.

Its all subjective of course, but even if you don't like it, it is absolutely the sort of music that I would hope to feature on something like Beats 1. As I said before, the chances are the sort of music you prefer is featured on more radio than this sort of stuff.

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
People either like something or not, its very difficult to explain exactly why you like something in any sort of objective way.

I just love the way it builds up the loops from something pretty sparse into an amazing multi layered ending. The second half is obviously catchier when the keyboards come in, and it builds and picks up pace from there. Absolutely love this track.

And it seems I'm not alone, Rolling Stone had it as one of their top songs last year:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/25-best-songs-of-2015-so-far-20150630/jamie-xx-gosh-20150630

Same here:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/11/top-50-songs-of-2015/4/

Pichfork listed the album as their 3rd best album last year:

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/9764-the-50-best-albums-of-2015/?page=5

They describe Gosh as "Soaring synch melodies" which just about sums it up.

Its all subjective of course, but even if you don't like it, it is absolutely the sort of music that should feature on something like Beats 1.

Looks to me that answers @Dranix questions, since many music publications/websites confirm its music.

Reactions: johngordon

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I don't like Beats 1. I simply don't care for the music they play. Not my style.
If you love Beats 1, pretend Beats 1 plays 99% country music. Still like it?

But Beats 1 doesn't play 99% any sort of music, so your point doesn't stack up.
[doublepost=1467631487][/doublepost]
If you're in that demographic, then yes, you should be offended that Apple cynically thinks playing some rap music, and buying Beats headphones will sway you to their brand. You can just picture the conference room full of middle age white men, "We should buy the company that makes those big red headphones all those kids are wearing!"

And what is "left of mainstream" music? Enlighten me. Marxist?

That wasn't what I was offended by.

No, not Marxist. I forgot that people can tend to the things too literally on the internet. It was an expression, for want of a better one, to loosely describe music somewhere between the mainstream and the completely obscure and way out. Apologies if that wasn't obvious.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
It has nothing to do with like/dislike of the "song". There are many songs I don't like that are clearly music - I'm missing this in Gosh and want to know what transforms a beat with noise into music for you.

The soaring synth melodies?

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
What synth melodies? The alarm sirens? :confused:

Not really, no.

I get that you don't like it, but given that Gosh is widely regarded as one of the best tracks from last year, that the album it is from is widely regarded as one of the best albums from last year, and Jamie XX is widely regarded as one of the best artists / DJs around just now, however unlikely it may seem to you, it is still widely considered a pretty great track.

And as such perfectly appropriate for something like Beats 1.

(Although I'm amazed they could fit it in amongst the wall to wall rap.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.