Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
so actually I did say that I wouldn't contribute to this post any further.

But today I feel compelled to do it. This morning, after weeks of trying every now and then, I found a string of 2-4 songs in a row that I enjoyed. Only problem was: the DJ was actually singing the songs ON TOP of the track. It was bloody annoying and to be honest, quite pathetic due to his poor vocal skills.

For a while I was even considering it was a joke? or that beats 1 was again hacked and someone was playing on top?
(for those who don't know it: a few months ago a palestinian group hijacked the beats 1 stream and for a while they played arab palestinian tracks on top of the original playlist - it lasted for 20 minutes but it was early morning in the UK so most of the US missed it and Apple quietly buried it)

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
so actually I did say that I wouldn't contribute to this post any further.

But today I feel compelled to do it. This morning, after weeks of trying every now and then, I found a string of 2-4 songs in a row that I enjoyed. Only problem was: the DJ was actually singing the songs ON TOP of the track. It was bloody annoying and to be honest, quite pathetic due to his poor vocal skills.

For a while I was even considering it was a joke? or that beats 1 was again hacked and someone was playing on top?
(for those who don't know it: a few months ago a palestinian group hijacked the beats 1 stream and for a while they played arab palestinian tracks on top of the original playlist - it lasted for 20 minutes but it was early morning in the UK so most of the US missed it and Apple quietly buried it)

DJs talk and whatnot over the songs often, or at least they do here in the UK and from what I've heard, in the US too. Maybe you've just always listened to stations with DJs that are more restrained?

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
DJs talk and whatnot over the songs often, or at least they do here in the UK and from what I've heard, in the US too. Maybe you've just always listened to stations with DJs that are more restrained?

DJs do talk all the time. Mainly when the song begins and ends.

However, Never ever in my life I've heard a dj SINGING on top of the song.

It seems however that no matter what the criticism is for beats one "you are always doing it wrong".

Anyways. Off I go to greener pastures.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
DJs do talk all the time. Mainly when the song begins and ends.

However, Never ever in my life I've heard a dj SINGING on top of the song.

It seems however that no matter what the criticism is for beats one "you are always doing it wrong".

Anyways. Off I go to greener pastures.

Well, I've heard DJs talk and sing on top of the song, some just talk up to the vocals. Seems like you've had a sheltered experience....

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah has to be a us and uk problem - Here in Germany DJs would get lynched if they did that.

It's just amazing that any criticisms is met with a sort of response that makes you the problem "you are listening it wrong" just like the "you are holding it wrong" antenna gate.

Anyways. Without criticism things will never improve. I'm an apple fan like any of these guys. But I'm not a blind follower. Stupid things like DJs ruining tunes by "signing" of top is not acceptable. No matter how often it happens in other stations. I'm listening to beats one of Apple Music, not to a random crappy radio station.

I should keep off this thread again.
The only acceptable mantra is "beats one is amazing and nothing is wrong with it. It's perfect. ". So amazing it needs to stay the same forever and ever. And I want it playing at my funeral. Or else...

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It's just amazing that any criticisms is met with a sort of response that makes you the problem "you are listening it wrong" just like the "you are holding it wrong" antenna gate.

That's not what I was saying. You're just trying to twist things. I'm just saying YMMV. You've had a sheltered experience. I could easily say that you're telling the rest of us that "you are listening it wrong", as your response is just a mirror of what I'm saying.

If you think otherwise, maybe you do need to take a break, as you're projecting your own issues onto other peoples posts.

I find it funny that you are happy to criticise, but not happy when people criticises you. Hypocritical much?

Stupid things like DJs ruining tunes by "signing" of top is not acceptable. No matter how often it happens in other stations. I'm listening to beats one of Apple Music, not to a random crappy radio station.

If you want to listen to music, with no DJs, just listen to playlists instead? Solves your complaints, playlists are available for each show quick enough.

Personally, I like the banter of DJs, Radio is for discovering new music and the personality of the DJs. If I want to listen to music, back to back, with no interruptions, I list to a playlist or something. Depends on my mood on which I prefer. It's not rocket science.

Though I bet you'll come up with some tawdry reason why that wouldn't work for you, so you can just whine.

The only acceptable mantra is "beats one is amazing and nothing is wrong with it. It's perfect. ". So amazing it needs to stay the same forever and ever. And I want it playing at my funeral. Or else...

I've never said Beats One is perfect, again, you're just projecting your own misinterpretations again. It's definitely not perfect.

Yeah has to be a us and uk problem - Here in Germany DJs would get lynched if they did that.

I've been in Germany a few times and I've heard radio stations that do exactly what you claim they don't. Again, your experience is limited. In fact, I've even seen other people say the same to you when you made that claim before.....

Last edited:

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
I've been in Germany a few times and I've heard radio stations that do exactly what you claim they don't. Again, your experience is limited. In fact, I've even seen other people say the same to you when you made that claim before.....

What's still strange. In over 3 decades of listening to radio I never had this here. What stations were you listening?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
What's still strange. In over 3 decades of listening to radio I never had this here. What stations were you listening?

I couldn't name them, as I didn't speak German and the radio was in the taxis I caught.

Anyway, you made a claim, but I doubt you have listened to every radio station in Germany. Most people only listen to 1 or 2, which means limited experience. Here in the UK we have a lot of radio stations. Some don't talk over music whatsoever, some do. You could easily go hearing one style or the other, and when you hear different in another country, claim that's not how it's done properly.

YMMV is very apt here.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I couldn't name them, as I didn't speak German and the radio was in the taxis I caught.

Anyway, you made a claim, but I doubt you have listened to every radio station in Germany. Most people only listen to 1 or 2, which means limited experience. Here in the UK we have a lot of radio stations. Some don't talk over music whatsoever, some do. You could easily go hearing one style or the other, and when you hear different in another country, claim that's not how it's done properly.

YMMV is very apt here.

Again, i'm not referring to talking over the music at some points of the song (mostly beginning and end).
I'm referring to "DJs" actually singing OVER the actual tune they are playing. For the WHOLE DURATION OF THE SONG.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Again, i'm not referring to talking over the music at some points of the song (mostly beginning and end).
I'm referring to "DJs" actually singing OVER the actual tune they are playing. For the WHOLE DURATION OF THE SONG.

I know, I read what you post and that happens, I've heard it on other stations. Not all the time, but occasionally. Just like it happened when you heard it. I've heard DJ's talk over the middle, sing over a whole song. As I said, different ones have different styles.

Although, Dranix is claiming that no DJ's talk over any part of a song, which is a different claim to yours.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Not sure about the singing over the songs - maybe there was a reason? Either way, I'd be surprised if it was a regular occurrence.

I have been on holiday for a while, and was just going to listen to some shows on catch up, but looks like they're not there anymore. Am I being blind or are they no longer available?

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Not sure about the singing over the songs - maybe there was a reason? Either way, I'd be surprised if it was a regular occurrence.

I have been on holiday for a while, and was just going to listen to some shows on catch up, but looks like they're not there anymore. Am I being blind or are they no longer available?

In my case they aren't available anymore because I didn't extend my Apple Music subscription.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I never mentioned Apple Music in my post. Just Beats One.

In that case you quoted the wrong post.
And in any case. This post is about criticising beats one. Because most of us loved the idea when it was announced. Only to find mostly rap hip hop and other similar styles, not to mention DJs with oversized egos who think it's ok to sing on top of songs.

So basically I show my discontent with "beats rap one" because Apple could do so much better.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
And in any case. This post is about criticising beats one. Because most of us loved the idea when it was announced. Only to find mostly rap hip hop and other similar styles, not to mention DJs with oversized egos who think it's ok to sing on top of songs.

So basically I show my discontent with "beats rap one" because Apple could do so much better.

I may have quoted the one where you brought up Apple Music, but I clearly am talking about beats one. Though it just seams like you want to argue with anything I say.

Stats proved that it's not 'mostly rap and hip hop' station. Also, the stats show the range of music being played is the popular stuff around the world, Beats One has to go with the popular stuff, as that's where the listeners are. It might be at the time of day you tune in, but we're talking about it as a whole. I tune in to shows I like, if there's not a show I like on, then I listen to some playlists. I don't slam a whole radio station because there's stuff I don't like, as I know people's tastes differ. It's like complaining about Brussel Sprouts existing simply because you hate them, other people like them.

Radio shows are about the personality of the DJ as well as the music. DJ's in their nature have oversized egos. It sounds like you miss the entire point of radio and will be better off only ever listening to playlists or your own music collection.

Also, it appears that said DJ has only sung over one song so far. Way to go to overuse that one example to death.

The fact it's Beats One, is a prime indicator that more stations will follow. So maybe Beats Two or whatever comes next, might suit you more.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004

Oh for goodness sake - it has long since been established that there is plenty besides rap and hip hop on Beats 1.

I'm certainly no great fan of rap and hip hop, but have managed to find a fews shows I enjoy listening to.

Weird, huh?

And are we going to do that thing people do a lot on internet forums, and take some isolated, atypical example, and present it as the norm?

Because I'm pretty sure "singing over songs" isn't a regular occurrence.

Reactions: shandyman

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Never listened to Beats 1, but as I hate rap and hiphop, probably just as well.

Looking forward to an Apple Radio that plays only good music with no talking thnks bye

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Never listened to Beats 1, but as I hate rap and hiphop, probably just as well.

Looking forward to an Apple Radio that plays only good music with no talking thnks bye

Great news - this is already possible!

1. Open Apple Music
2. Tap on My Music
3. Tap on Shuffle all

Hope this helps!

Reactions: shandyman

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I would still love to know how it is that I can listen to a good few shows on AM and not actually hear that much rap.

Do we get different music in the UK? it must be very complicated with the bits in between the music if they do that though.

I used to think that maybe all the people saying it was all rap and hip hop were mistaken, but even now, weeks later, they still seem pretty sure of that fact.

Which in itself is odd, because if they thought it was all rap and hip hop, so hadn't been listening, how would they even know that?

So confused right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.