Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
It had no relevance to the conversation I was having. You just hijacked it with a pointless comment just so you can complain about Apple Music, it seems.

to be honest, if I find Beats One rap obsession annoying I would hardly find it logical to pay for Apple music just for the benefit of listening to beats one programmes "on demand".

And even more so taking into account the huge mess AM introduction has caused in my itunes match library (in short, I have been unable to add music since AM started due to a matching bug).

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
to be honest, if I find Beats One rap obsession annoying I would hardly find it logical to pay for Apple music just for the benefit of listening to beats one programmes "on demand".

And even more so taking into account the huge mess AM introduction has caused in my itunes match library (in short, I have been unable to add music since AM started due to a matching bug).

They have an almost equal alternative rock obsession.... There are many good shows on beats one, your loss though if you're too stubborn to bother.

It really just seems that most people here are going out their way to complain. Makes you lose faith in humanity really!

My iTunes Match library went through fine, as did most of my friends. I feel sorry for the few people they had an issue. A couple of my friends resorted to their backups and re did it, worked fine for them.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
They have an almost equal alternative rock obsession.... There are many good shows on beats one, your loss though if you're too stubborn to bother.

It really just seems that most people here are going out their way to complain. Makes you lose faith in humanity really!

My iTunes Match library went through fine, as did most of my friends. I feel sorry for the few people they had an issue. A couple of my friends resorted to their backups and re did it, worked fine for them.

My itunes match library is just fine. It's now when I try to add more music, itunes is matching those new songs as apple music. Consequently I can't add music without risking itunes "sequestering" and adding DRM to my own music files. It's very annoying really and doesn't help how I feel about Beats one.

Now going back.. I told you that mostly when I listen to Beats one I hear mostly rap. Then you said I could go back and play replays if I don't have the actual time to listen to radio at other times. Then it turns out you will need an active AM subscription after the trial to be able to do that.

obviously AM and Beats one is not for me. It's just so damn annoying that they can't fix the matching bug so that I can actually get on with my life and my own music ... !!!!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I don't mind Beats 1, but i think the hate over Apple music and Beats 1 is probably about 50,50

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Well that pretty much explains what I've heard when I've tuned into Beats 1. More often than not I'll check in only to switch away. I have enough thoughts going on in my head that I don't care for the energy/emotions in rap and hip-hop. That's probably why I gravitate towards the more calming/thoughtful influences classical, jazz, chill, and even new age.

Some people need the stimulation of energetic music, and other needs a more calming sound. There's even some neuroscience behind that. I hoping we see a more subdued Beats 2 to accompany the get-up-and-go Beats 1.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I think its not necessarly bad, but the amount of time Apple has been putting into it puts a sour taste considering Apple Music/iTunes still is bloated and sucks.

Spotify's UI just looks so much cleaner. Tried getting other people to try out Apple Music, but there's so many options and hidden features and features within features that they don't see the point.

Just want to listen to music without everything else.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
1726/6709, or 27% isn't actually a majority, let alone a vast majority.

Ok, so you are 3 times as likely to hear rap than pop.
Or look at it from the point of view of top 5 artists, 4 of which are rappers.

Or look at the London DJ.. sister of 2 rappers who clearly loves rap.

Whatever.. beats one is wonderful for some people. I just hate it most of the time so I play NRJ Germany instead.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Are rap and hip hop the same thing now? The 27% figure is for both.

Either way, despite all the talk about there being nothing but rap and hip hop on the station, it turns out that you are twice as likely to hear something other than rap or hip hop.

And your odds will improve dramatically if you avoid the shows that are most likely to play rap and hip hop.

I get that its not for everyone, but the whole "its all rap and hip hop thing" is just plain wrong.

I don't really like rap / hip hop any more than all the people moaning about it, but I still tune in to a few shows.

Reactions: shandyman

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Are rap and hip hop the same thing now? The 27% figure is for both.

Either way, despite all the talk about there being nothing but rap and hip hop on the station, it turns out that you are twice as likely to hear something other than rap or hip hop.

And your odds will improve dramatically if you avoid the shows that are most likely to play rap and hip hop.

I get that its not for everyone, but the whole "its all rap and hip hop thing" is just plain wrong.

I don't really like rap / hip hop any more than all the people moaning about it, but I still tune in to a few shows.

Shh, people here don't like people using logic and common sense. They love to whinge based on their own twisted interpretation of the facts.....

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Shh, people here don't like people using logic and common sense. They love to whinge based on their own twisted interpretation of the facts.....

Or they actually work during the times they would actually want to hear what is playing on Beats 1, and when they get a chance to tune in it is noting but what they don't want to hear.

And yes, you can now replay.... but it isn't live radio at that point anymore.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Or they actually work during the times they would actually want to hear what is playing on Beats 1, and when they get a chance to tune in it is noting but what they don't want to hear.

And yes, you can now replay.... but it isn't live radio at that point anymore.

So? The shows are repeated on the live stream about 10-12 hours after anyway. You're not going to have everyone pleased with live shows worldwide, some people are not going to be able to hear the shows they want to 'live'. What about the person that wants to hear a rap show, but is stuck with Elton John. Same case, but other way round....

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Now going back.. I told you that mostly when I listen to Beats one I hear mostly rap.

I just don't understand why so many people are saying this, when playlists are in the public domain, and stats have published which all show that it isn't mostly rap at all.

I'd have thought if you really don't like rap, avoid Ebro's show. Do that and you definitely won't hear that much rap.

But saying that, even Ebro has been playing the likes of Chvrches, a band from Glasgow and about as far from rap as you can get.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I just don't understand why so many people are saying this, when playlists are in the public domain, and stats have published which all show that it isn't mostly rap at all.

I'd have thought if you really don't like rap, avoid Ebro's show. Do that and you definitely won't hear that much rap.

But saying that, even Ebro has been playing the likes of Chvrches, a band from Glasgow and about as far from rap as you can get.

and public playlists say that 4 out of 5 top played artists are rappers and that you are 3 times more likely to hear rap when you tune in than pop or dance. !!!!!!!

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

Thing is, the people on here are either attempting once or twice and hearing a rap song then tuning out, rather than just waiting to see what's next or they're tuning into shows like Ebro's, and using that as their only experience. There are people on here you'll never convince, because they're determined to stay closed minded so they can hate on it.

and public playlists say that 4 out of 5 top played artists are rappers and that you are 3 times more likely to hear rap when you tune in than pop or dance. !!!!!!!

Actually, it's 1 in just under 3 times chance of hearing rap. Of course, that's higher when you pick a show to tune in to, like Ebro.....

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
and public playlists say that 4 out of 5 top played artists are rappers

That's a completely different thing though.

Here in the UK the most popular cuisine for eating out is Indian.

But that doesn't mean that everyone mostly eats curry.

and that you are 3 times more likely to hear rap when you tune in than pop or dance. !!!!!!!

How much more likely are you too hear rap than any other kind of music?

The stats people have posted show that 27% is rap or hip hop.

Avoid shows that are most likely to play rap or hip or hip and that figure drops dramatically.

Its not rocket science - figure out which shows play most rap and hip hop, and don't listen to them.

That still leaves plenty.

If it really was all rap and hip hop, I wouldn't be listening to it either.

Josh Homme's show probably isn't for everyone either, but I can give his show about the highest praise possible, in that its The Alligator Hour is probably the closest thing I have ever heard on the radio to the late, great John Peel.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum

Avoid shows that are most likely to play rap or hip or hip and that figure drops dramatically.

Its not rocket science - figure out which shows play most rap and hip hop, and don't listen to them.

Josh Homme's show probably isn't for everyone either, but I can give his show about the highest praise possible, in that its The Alligator Hour is probably the closest thing I have ever heard on the radio to the late, great John Peel.

Who is John Peel?

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014

I love his show - I look forward to it each week.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006

Things is: radio is not like TV. 99% of people don't even know the name of the show the listen to. They, like me, just want to tune in and hear nice music. I don't mind the occasional rap song here and there. But it's just that every time I try that's what they are playing. It's not my fault. I'm just tired of justifying this here.

Some people don't understand that certain DJs will play more one style than other.
Julie Adenuga's family has heavy roots to rap music. She even sounds like a rapper when she speaks. Consequently she plays a lot of rap. And it just so happens that when Idrive to work she's running her show.

Believe me, I really wanted to love Beats 1. It sounded like an amazing idea.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Things is: radio is not like TV. 99% of people don't even know the name of the show the listen to. They, like me, just want to tune in and hear nice music. I don't mind the occasional rap song here and there. But it's just that every time I try that's what they are playing. It's not my fault. I'm just tired of justifying this here.

Some people don't understand that certain DJs will play more one style than other.
Julie Adenuga's family has heavy roots to rap music. She even sounds like a rapper when she speaks. Consequently she plays a lot of rap. And it just so happens that when Idrive to work she's running her show.

Your post implies people are dumber than they actually are. Nice.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004

I know its not quite like TV, but I'm sure plenty of people figure out what radio shows they like or don't like.

If you just want something for the background, and aren't really that interested in music, then maybe Beats 1 isn't for you, which is fine.

But I think its much better being what it is, rather than just another bland station playing background music for people who aren't that interested in music, or bothered what is being played.

I actually can't believe you just said "She even sounds like a rapper when she speaks" though - that was quite something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.