Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
If apple made is easier to get what their shows are and when they air. But I have mostly given up on Beats1 and just listen again to my collection and my normal webradios from around the world.

I thought it was easy enough, in the app, tap on the beats 1 image, you get the schedule and list of shows. If you tap on a show in the 'Featured Shows', you get playlists for each show, which gives you an idea of what is going to be played....

Reactions: Jstuts5797

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
I thought it was easy enough, in the app, tap on the beats 1 image, you get the schedule and list of shows. If you tap on a show in the 'Featured Shows', you get playlists for each show, which gives you an idea of what is going to be played....

Do you need to be a member of Apple Music to see these playlists? I don't get playlists there on my iPhone.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Do you need to be a member of Apple Music to see these playlists? I don't get playlists there on my iPhone.

Not sure. Try this link see what happens.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/playlis...a-homme/idpl.75d79055c209401da990f830dbfcca99

You're looking in the right place? Tap on beats 1 on the Radio tab, you get the schedule, scroll down to featured shows and you can tap on one of them.

c252751b1d5d4b12d367d303bf8573bf.jpg

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well it gives a playlist you can't listen to.

Guess they never were prepared for people not interested in Apple Music.

It at least gives you a list of songs, to give you an idea of what music is being played. I didn't expect it to play songs if you weren't subscribed to Apple Music......

BlackbookGuy

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
I've heard enough classic rock that I'm sick of it on the radio. If you want to listen to the typical radio bands the discographies are there. For a 29 year old living in middle America it's nice to finally hear the new music cool in cities like NY and London

Isn't Beats 1 for getting black people and young urban people into Apple? Seriously, I though that's why they bought Beats in the first place...

Maybe other demographics will like Beats 1, but seems pretty much like club music and rap, which appeals to many young urbans and black people - at least where I live. I would prefer a mix, but then Beats isn't aiming for me IMO.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Isn't Beats 1 for getting black people and young urban people into Apple? Seriously, I though that's why they bought Beats in the first place...

Maybe other demographics will like Beats 1, but seems pretty much like club music and rap, which appeals to many young urbans and black people - at least where I live. I would prefer a mix, but then Beats isn't aiming for me IMO.

Apart from your expectations are wrong. Look at Zane Lowe's Show, Julie's show, etc. A mix of stuff, not just rap or club music.... Actually look at what you're criticising. It appears you're just judging a book by it's cover.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
The Alligator Hour show is awesome as awesome can be! Josh Homme is God!

As for rest of beats 1 stuff I've heard....meh!

Zorba

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
Belgium
I just cannot understand why they would re-air full shows. I loved 'Time Crisis' yesterday live, and now they just air it again. Don't they have enough music to fill a day or what?

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
There is lots of rap/ hip hop. Though I know Apple is targeting the younger audience they need to bear in mind that at the end of three months, it isn't the younger audience who are more likely to open their wallets and subscribe. No one I know under 30 pays for music, ever. It's usually You Tube.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Oh and they also repeat shows. The show I was listening to this AM on my way to work was the exact same one as was on over the weekend. I had already listened to it. I don't mind making shows available online but don't repeat on the "live" station.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
There is lots of rap/ hip hop. Though I know Apple is targeting the younger audience they need to bear in mind that at the end of three months, it isn't the younger audience who are more likely to open their wallets and subscribe. No one I know under 30 pays for music, ever. It's usually You Tube.

That!! Exactly what you said.
I decided not to renew Apple music and have almost entirely stopped tuning in beats1.

And apple music takes too much real estate UI in the music app. I'd remove connect entirely and split my music playlists and songs (last icon)

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004

No.

This really is starting to be some sort of urban myth. Just because people keep saying it, isn't going to make it true.

Anyone who has listened to Beats 1 for any length of time can tell you this isn't true.

If you look at a few playlists, you can see it isn't true.

Or maybe some people just have a peculiarly understanding of what constitutes rap and hip hop.

I can confirm I am definitely not a young, urban black person who loves rap and hip hop.

I m not young, or urban, or black, and I don't really like rap or hip hop that much.

But I have been listening to quite a bit of Beats 1, and really like it. There are some shows I'll be more likely to tune into than others based on what I've heard, and so might reasonably expect to hear.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I just cannot understand why they would re-air full shows. I loved 'Time Crisis' yesterday live, and now they just air it again. Don't they have enough music to fill a day or what?

Imagine you lived halfway round the world, and it was 3am when it was first broadcast.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
No.

This really is starting to be some sort of urban myth. Just because people keep saying it, isn't going to make it true.

Anyone who has listened to Beats 1 for any length of time can tell you this isn't true.

If you look at a few playlists, you can see it isn't true.

Or maybe some people just have a peculiarly understanding of what constitutes rap and hip hop.

I can confirm I am definitely not a young, urban black person who loves rap and hip hop.

I m not young, or urban, or black, and I don't really like rap or hip hop that much.

But I have been listening to quite a bit of Beats 1, and really like it. There are some shows I'll be more likely to tune into than others based on what I've heard, and so might reasonably expect to hear.

It will attract people who like al sort of genres. For those of us with more restricted taste, they either have to come up with additional beat stations or they want have is, really.

It's not that I don't like rap and an put up with a playlist in which two or three songs are rap. It's that I HATE it and consequently as soon as beats1 has one of those, I simply tune out.

So maybe the downfall for me is that the playlists are so varied that chances are I will hate a few songs so much as to make me change stations.

I think that's where I'm coming from.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

It's for the other countries around the world. If the show only aired once, at a time in a country when people are asleep, what's wrong with airing it again later in the day for those people? Or the people that are working? You could make it available again later (which they should for other reasons), but it means that someone new tuning in, will hear a show they might not have heard due to sleep/work/etc.

Do you knock TV stations for repeating TV shows? Do you knock cinemas for showing a film multiple times? Do you knock sports channels for showing replays?

It's an 'live' as in 'always on' station, not necessarily every show being 'live'.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I'm sure they can put up a link in the app so you can listen to it again.

I agree a listen again function would be good, but I don't really see what the problem is.

It's not as though many people are going to be listening to it 24/7.

Plus, I thought the whole point was that it provided a collective shared experience. Which it wouldn't be for the half of the world that had to make do with the listen again feature.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I was one of the ones very critical of Beats 1 at first. Mostly because Ebro. I heard some of Zane and he was okay. Listened to the Disclosure segment and it was awesome. I think Beats 1 is okay. The music is decent, but I'm not a big fan of most of the DJ's especially Ebro. But there are so many other stations when I don't like the Beats 1 station, so not a big deal really.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I was one of the ones very critical of Beats 1 at first. Mostly because Ebro. I heard some of Zane and he was okay. Listened to the Disclosure segment and it was awesome. I think Beats 1 is okay. The music is decent, but I'm not a big fan of most of the DJ's especially Ebro. But there are so many other stations when I don't like the Beats 1 station, so not a big deal really.

Curious - why do you dislike Ebro in particular? How do you feel about Julie? Shows like Alligator Hour, The Pharmacy, etc.?

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
While I'm personally not interested in much of what Beats 1 happens to play today, I think it is great to see it as an experiment. One of the things I find myself missing from streaming services is a knowledgeable program host, and by that, I don't mean a "DJ" but rather someone who is truly passionate about the music they are playing and can share that with the listeners.

There are still a few channels on Sirius XM like that, such as Symphony Hall and The Loft. Here's hoping we'll see a Beats 2, 3, and so-forth, catering to more specialized tastes in music, such as Classical, Jazz, and Adult Contemporary.

goosin'

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
California
I really wanted to like Beats 1. I tried constantly to get in it. I eventually gave up after I realized the music they played just isn't my type of style. My most played songs and radio stations are Pure Pop and Pulse Pop, none of which I've heard on Beats 1 so far. I will admit it has potential to be a quality station for some people, just not for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.