Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
So today I drove 5 times at different times. 8.15am, 17.30, 19.30, 21.00 and 22.30. Every time, every single time, there was rap on beats 1. Only exception was at around 21 when I heard something I liked. But as soon as it was over the dj out Eminem on

I give up. Obviously not for me. Unfortunately because I loved the idea of a world radio

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Lol you people who claim they only play rap/hip hop/R&B/snap(seriously? WTH is snap? Is this made up?) are crazy and have not looked at the playlists of what the hosts actually played. If they had any DOMINATE genre I would say it would be experimental or maybe dance/techno. The only genre I haven't heard at all is country. I swear you all are listening to something else other than the Beats 1 Radio on Apple Music to claim they only play rap/hip hop/whatever other related genre. It's BY FAR the most diverse radio station I've ever heard in my 35 years of life. BY FAR.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
Lol you people who claim they only play rap/hip hop/R&B/snap(seriously? WTH is snap? Is this made up?) are crazy and have not looked at the playlists of what the hosts actually played. If they had any DOMINATE genre I would say it would be experimental or maybe dance/techno. The only genre I haven't heard at all is country. I swear you all are listening to something else other than the Beats 1 Radio on Apple Music to claim they only play rap/hip hop/whatever other related genre. It's BY FAR the most diverse radio station I've ever heard in my 35 years of life. BY FAR.

You really never heard of Snap?

So at what times do you listen?

Reactions: Jstuts5797

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
No I never have! Or rather I didn't know thats what it was called. I consider most of that as "hip/hop" or even pop rap. Thanks for the video link though! Honestly its pretty random when I listen. Also I'm in the U.S. Central time zone. I guess if I would have to say... I listen mostly in the afternoon/evening. I've alsop caught a few morning shows.... really, honestly, its pretty random. I notice tonight in the overnight hours they are playing mostly techno/electronic/dance.

Last edited:

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006

It might be a matter of time zone. As I
Mentioned earlier. I'm in the U.K. And yesterday any of the 5 times I tuned in, they were playing rap or similar genres I don't like. In a week I've only tunes in to techno dance europop twice. And that's what I like.

Edit. Twice today already I tried beats and again the same kind of genre. I'm really astonished.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well I just tuned in and it went from Will Young to Amy Winehouse.... That's not rap or hip hop....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436622373.395279.jpg

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Where can I see those playlists.
No, now, seriously. I'll document my misfortunes with beats1 next time.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
People seriously hold your horses.

First of all thanks for the links.
Second I didn't say t was all rap and hip hop. I said that at every time I've tuned in I heard music I don't like such as rap hip hop rnb.

So i recognise it might be a timing issue or a town zone issue or hair plain bad luck.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
For example right now i do like the music (NYC Beats 1)

But I rarely listen to radio at this time.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I guess looking at a few playlists I see that there are many genres thrown in during the same program. Maybe I find that disconcerting if I happen to land when one genre I don't like is playing?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
People seriously hold your horses.

First of all thanks for the links.
Second I didn't say t was all rap and hip hop. I said that at every time I've tuned in I heard music I don't like such as rap hip hop rnb.

So i recognise it might be a timing issue or a town zone issue or hair plain bad luck.

I was replying to you, but also making a point to the German bloke too, who was saying that's all that's played. It's funny that he ignores any facts that proves him wrong tho.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
I was replying to you, but also making a point to the German bloke too, who was saying that's all that's played. It's funny that he ignores any facts that proves him wrong tho.

THIS. I love how the people who make these claims suddenly "disappear" when they are proven wrong. I have no issue with Jmmo at all. He looked at the data, realized they play a lot more, and moved to the real reason it may seem this way 1.) Time zones/time of day listening 2.) people tune it and hear one song, don't like it and assume every song after will be the same when it's not.

Heck me and a friend were talking last week how it seemed to us they weren't playing very much rap or hip hop at all! I know all night last night (night for me) and even right now, they are playing all techno/electronic music.

AleXXXa

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2015
So today I drove 5 times at different times. 8.15am, 17.30, 19.30, 21.00 and 22.30. Every time, every single time, there was rap on beats 1. Only exception was at around 21 when I heard something I liked. But as soon as it was over the dj out Eminem on

I give up. Obviously not for me. Unfortunately because I loved the idea of a world radio
I totally agree with you.

That's why i like BBC Radio so much, they have multiple channels with different genres of music: BBC Radio 1 is like Beats 1, BBC Radio 2 (classic rock, indie, country, blues, folk, etc) and BBC Radio 3 (classical, jazz).

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
THIS. I love how the people who make these claims suddenly "disappear" when they are proven wrong. I have no issue with Jmmo at all. He looked at the data, realized they play a lot more, and moved to the real reason it may seem this way 1.) Time zones/time of day listening 2.) people tune it and hear one song, don't like it and assume every song after will be the same when it's not.

Heck me and a friend were talking last week how it seemed to us they weren't playing very much rap or hip hop at all! I know all night last night (night for me) and even right now, they are playing all techno/electronic music.

I did not disappear. Some people have sometimes lots to do at work...

The thing is shown playlist and experienced reality doesn't match up for many people.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I did not disappear. Some people have sometimes lots to do at work...

The thing is shown playlist and experienced reality doesn't match up for many people.

Well, since the playlists are from the shows actually broadcasting, are you saying the playlists are fake? those playlists match up to experienced reality for me. I posted those playlists as I listened to those shows and they were the opposite of what you claimed, so brought those playlists to this thread to prove the point.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Not I don't say they are fake. But people can't do a thing with them if these aren't the ones on station when listening.

You can then listen to them any time...

I tend to listen to Beats 1 when there's a show I like on. If there's one I don't want to listen to, like Ebro or Dre, then I just listen to my playlists on Apple Music instead.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Only if you are willing to rent music - Which I'm not.

Here's a revolutionary idea. Find the shows on Beats1 you like, listen to those. When you want to listen to music and shows you like aren't on, listen to your own collection....

It's like me complaining that Sky 1 (A tv channel in the U.K.) only ever shows The Simpsons when I channel hop to it. They don't only show that, but if I assumed that's all they showed, I'd miss out on some other good stuff.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
If apple made is easier to get what their shows are and when they air. But I have mostly given up on Beats1 and just listen again to my collection and my normal webradios from around the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.