Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You're saying that radio stations in Germany had no DJ's talking, doing interviews or anything?! I call shenanigans.

and rightly so.

there are plenty of radio shows that work that way. of course there are a lot of those that mostly play popular/mainstream music on heavy rotation but no idea how one could say such a general thing.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Examples?
I'm sorry to say this, but I associate Germany to Scooter and Rammstein. Not exactly quality music. So that their radios might be playing requests more than curated music would not sound unlikely to me.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
I think a lot of people were hoping for music that would appeal to a broad range of age groups and tastes. What we have gotten so far seems narrowly targeted to rap fans and euro electronic fans under 30. No thanks.
You get too broad and nobody would listen.

Focusing your music on the demographic that is the largest consumers of music is not an awful strategy.

Perhaps if beats 1 is successful it will allow them to create stations that target different demographics.

I have a large and eclectic taste in music yet I can't imagine a station that tried to appeal to everyone would not lose my interest.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
Y
I'm also a little disapointed on beats 1. At first I thought it would play many genres but I listened the station long enough to see its just rap/hip hop music (witch I hate) and club music. I dont know why this station have such a niche genre for music.
you think rap/hip hop is a niche genre?

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Lol, What kind of mindset is this? And what does it have to do with German radio stations. Also Rammstein was (is ?) quite popular in America last time I heard.

HipHop a niche genre outside the us? This thread is funny.
I just lost my trolling virginity. It was nothing more than that. Still you have to admit they have produced a lot of ****** techno music over there. :) But I think I was just being provocative..

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I've heard enough classic rock that I'm sick of it on the radio. If you want to listen to the typical radio bands the discographies are there. For a 29 year old living in middle America it's nice to finally hear the new music cool in cities like NY and London
It really depends on the DJ. The LA gal is pretty good. Anyone else I've heard is crap BUT rap doesn't appeal to me at all and I've heard a lot during the times I tune in. Also, I forgot how much I hate it when a song gets cut off. Obviously I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in a long time.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Rap is not HipHop. Or would you classify Snap as HipHop?

Your reply, that I quoted was in response to someone else saying rap/hip hop is not a niche, go check and see.

Also, that chart for Germany had hip hop in there. So, not a niche and popular in Germany. In fact, I see a lot in that chart that's played on Beats 1.

lazypoet

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Your reply, that I quoted was in response to someone else saying rap/hip hop is not a niche, go check and see.

Also, that chart for Germany had hip hop in there. So, not a niche and popular in Germany. In fact, I see a lot in that chart that's played on Beats 1.
Believe it or not Hip Hop has lots of fans in Norway, where I come from. That's pretty far away from the us.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Well Ellie is on in a bit, and playing her rock favourites apparently.

Anyone want to look at a selection of playlists from some of the shows and come back and say its all rap and hip hop?

Probably not. :p

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I like euro dance and techno but it seems almost every time I try beats 1 they are play rap or rnb.

I try very hard but I rally don't like the songs most of the time. I'm not sure if it's too "American" for my taste.

Eventually I always end up listening to NRJ Vienna on tune in radio.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well Ellie is on in a bit, and playing her rock favourites apparently.

Anyone want to look at a selection of playlists from some of the shows and come back and say its all rap and hip hop?

Probably not. :p

Haha. I put a few of the playlists up, proving it, but it got ignored as it proved them wrong....

I like euro dance and techno but it seems almost every time I try beats 1 they are play rap or rnb.

I try very hard but I rally don't like the songs most of the time. I'm not sure if it's too "American" for my taste.

Eventually I always end up listening to NRJ Vienna on tune in radio.

Zane and Julie's shows have a lot from the UK, which is not American.....

Ellie Goulding - all rap? hip hop? Nope.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/playlis...-9-2015/idpl.ca981361f3084b35a4b45c073ce65b50

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Haha. I put a few of the playlists up, proving it, but it got ignored as it proved them wrong....

Zane and Julie's shows have a lot from the UK, which is not American.....

Ellie Goulding - all rap? hip hop? Nope.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/playlis...-9-2015/idpl.ca981361f3084b35a4b45c073ce65b50

The times I've listened to beats 1 in the late afternoon / early evening in the UK I've quite liked the music. But in the morning on my way to work.. no way. As I say, I end up listening to a german radio station I really like.

I hope Beats radio keeps developing and eventually there are more channels.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Muse? Never 'hard of 'em.

I'm in my 40s so I'm sure haven't heard of a lot of things, but I've heard of most of those artists.

But I know a lot of people who would probably look blankly at me with names like the Flaming Lips, Disclosure or even the Foo Fighters.

Beats 1 might not be for them, and it probably isn't because there's nothing but rap and hip hop on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.