Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Curious - why do you dislike Ebro in particular? How do you feel about Julie? Shows like Alligator Hour, The Pharmacy, etc.?

He's annoying, way over the top new york. Too much talking over songs, air horns etc. Julie is pretty vanilla, but I've only heard her on a handful of times so I don't have much of an opinion. I don't know what alligator or pharmacy is. I haven't listened to it THAT much so I'm not familiar with everything. There's some good stuff sprinkled in there I just don't have time to listen to it all.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Does anyone know the time for repeat shows? Like I know that there are repeats at night, but for how long? Is Chart at 10am EST live, or a repeat? Same question with NYC at 11am EST.

rd1981

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
Saint Petersburg Florida
I like Beats1 for it's variety. I'm a diehard R&B/Soul music fan, but it's somewhat refreshing hearing what the other genres have to offer for a change. I haven't heard this much of the other genres since the 80's and early 90's. I actually grew up liking popular music, but that was when pop music had soul. I just think overall music still sucks compared to the 80's and 90's; so no matter how much variety there is, no radio station will be perfect imo.

Out of the programs that I was able to catch thus far since joining on Monday, I enjoyed the songs Elton John, Alligator Hour and Ebro played the most. I'm hoping Beats1 is successful enough to add more programs and more stations. I think this would be good for music, because it definitely has me listening in more throughout the day. And I've heard some new music that I like that I wouldn't have heard elsewhere.

rd1981

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
Saint Petersburg Florida
so it turns out that the vast majority of all music is indeed hip-hop and rap

https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/screen-shot-2015-08-11-at-11-59-46-pm.png?w=1000

i was just reading this last night, I think it's definitely an overkill of hiphop at times. I'm also hearing the same artists and songs too frequently. What's really crazy is the request program with Travis Mills; most of the songs played are just repeats of the top played beats1 songs. Which could make sense, if people really want to hear those songs; but I would be requesting songs that they don't play that I feel the world needs to hear.

I think when apple adds more stations, they will also create more genre specific stations and programs. This will allow them the room to create more variations in their playlists.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
The concept is very cool, but the music played is very specifically geared toward younger hip-hop listeners. I tune in all the time to try to prove myself wrong, but I've yet to successfully do it.

I have no use for the music that's being played. It's seriously the farthest thing from anything I'd be interested in listening to.

Hopefully they'll add some other genre stations at some point.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
The concept is very cool, but the music played is very specifically geared toward younger hip-hop listeners. I tune in all the time to try to prove myself wrong, but I've yet to successfully do it.

I have no use for the music that's being played. It's seriously the farthest thing from anything I'd be interested in listening to.

Hopefully they'll add some other genre stations at some point.

Indeed. But now it's really great we can prove our empirical tests. I used to do the same that you describe. Tune in every now and then. I really really wanted to like beats one. Yet every single time it was hip hop or rap.

I did mention this here in this forum and people claimed I was wrong. Well. There you go. Look at the data. Beats one is basically beats rap

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Indeed. But now it's really great we can prove our empirical tests. I used to do the same that you describe. Tune in every now and then. I really really wanted to like beats one. Yet every single time it was hip hop or rap.

I did mention this here in this forum and people claimed I was wrong. Well. There you go. Look at the data. Beats one is basically beats rap

It's also pretty much beats alternative, which those facts show, but funny that people choose to ignore that just so they can complain about it. Like any radio station, you need to find the shows you like and listen to those. Different shows have different styles.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
It's also pretty much beats alternative, which those facts show, but funny that people choose to ignore that just so they can complain about it. Like any radio station, you need to find the shows you like and listen to those. Different shows have different styles.

Maybe I can't find much difference between alternative and rap to be honest.
I can listen to online radio at limited times, and I live in England so all I can hear most days is Adenuga playing rap.. unfortunately. I have found a couple of times that in the afternoon they've played a couple of things I like. But it's just not worth the time to tune in just to tune out after 1 or 2 songs.

The day they have Beats Europe with house/euro/dance then I'll be a loyal follower. Until then, rap, pseeeee.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006

and let's not forget the list of artists:

1) The Weeknd (Hip/hop modern RNB)
2) Drake (rap)
3) Disclosure (electronica)
4) Fetty wap (rap)
5) A@$ap rocky (rap)

4 out of 5 most played artists are rap or hip/hop/RNB

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Maybe I can't find much difference between alternative and rap to be honest.
I can listen to online radio at limited times, and I live in England so all I can hear most days is Adenuga playing rap.. unfortunately. I have found a couple of times that in the afternoon they've played a couple of things I like. But it's just not worth the time to tune in just to tune out after 1 or 2 songs.

The day they have Beats Europe with house/euro/dance then I'll be a loyal follower. Until then, rap, pseeeee.

Alternative is nothing like Rap.... Alternative is Rock. How can you not tell the difference?

Again, people miss the point of, find the shows you like, listen to those, just like with normal radio or TV. You don't sit with the telly on one channel all day just to complain it shows stuff you're not interested in. This whole thread is a bit ridiculous when you think about it that way..... Plus we now have the ability to listen to previous shows, just like with iPlayer in the UK, meaning we can easily listen to anything on demand.

It mostly seems that this thread is just for people that want to find any excuse to moan about Beats1.....

Last edited:

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Alternative is nothing like Rap.... Alternative is Rock. How can you not tell the difference?

Again, people miss the point of, find the shows you like, listen to those, just like with normal radio or TV. You don't sit with the telly on one channel all day just to complain it shows stuff you're not interested in. This whole thread is a bit ridiculous when you think about it that way..... Plus we now have the ability to listen to previous shows, just like with iPlayer in the UK, meaning we can easily listen to anything on demand.

It mostly seems that this thread is just for people that want to find any excuse to moan about Beats1.....

Most people listen to radio while going somewhere really. I can only listen during my commute to and from work. And when I exercise. At neither times they play anything that isn't rap for the most part.

Do look at the top 5 artists by tracks played. 4 out of 5 are rappers. EVen if they play a lof of alternative rock as you say, I've barely heard any such rock songs in the 6 weeks I've tried Beats 1.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Most people listen to radio while going somewhere really. I can only listen during my commute to and from work. And when I exercise. At neither times they play anything that isn't rap for the most part.

Do look at the top 5 artists by tracks played. 4 out of 5 are rappers. EVen if they play a lof of alternative rock as you say, I've barely heard any such rock songs in the 6 weeks I've tried Beats 1.

You can easily listen to other stuff from beats1 on the listen again feature. I listen on my commute and I hear Zane Lowe, he plays a lot of varying music. Your timing can suck, sometimes I'm stuck with things I don't like, I just then listen to other shows on the listen again, and listen to the alligator hour or something.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
You can easily listen to other stuff from beats1 on the listen again feature. I listen on my commute and I hear Zane Lowe, he plays a lot of varying music. Your timing can suck, sometimes I'm stuck with things I don't like, I just then listen to other shows on the listen again, and listen to the alligator hour or something.

to be honest I have no idea how to use that "listen again" feature.... :)

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
My hope for the future, based solely on the "primary" genres they've established on the station:

Beats 1: Pop/Dance/Electronic
Beats 2: Hip-Hop/Rap
Beats 3: Alternative/Rock
Beats 4: Eclectic Mix of classics and new music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.